So how do you defend Clemson? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

So how do you defend Clemson?

I don't see Bullough changing his philosophy much. He seems like the type of DC who won't change his style for anyone, and I don't really blame him. Our safeties have to be smart. If anything, their O-line seems like it could be a weakness so if we're gonna go down then let's go down throwing the house at them forcing them to make plays. I doubt we will see our corners in much man coverage, but it has to be stressed to Wilkes, Eskridge, and Morgan that they have to help deep. Don't bite on the run. I'd like to see Shafer hit Boyd with 19 differently disguised blitzes like he did to Bridgewater and see how Boyd handled it. Bridgewater is ever bit as good as Boyd and you saw what happened to him.

I don't see Bullough changing his philosophy much. He seems like the type of DC who won't change his style for anyone, and I don't really blame him. Our safeties have to be smart. If anything, their O-line seems like it could be a weakness so if we're gonna go down then let's go down throwing the house at them forcing them to make plays. I doubt we will see our corners in much man coverage, but it has to be stressed to Wilkes, Eskridge, and Morgan that they have to help deep. Don't bite on the run. I'd like to see Shafer hit Boyd with 19 differently disguised blitzes like he did to Bridgewater and see how Boyd handled it. Bridgewater is ever bit as good as Boyd and you saw what happened to him.

TB threw for over 450 yards

My guess is we'll see the same scheme we witnessed last year against USC. Cover 3, cover 4 between the 20's. We will bring pressure on 2nd and 3rd and long. We are not going to keep Clemson from scoring, they are too talented. We need to hold them under 35 or so to have a chance.

No Offense, but you are not scoring more than 14 IMO...you are not Georgia.

Yeah he threw for 424 yds.

The reason we beat Lville wasn't because of pass defense or how we blitzed Bridgewater.

Yeah he threw for 424 yds.

The reason we beat Lville wasn't because of pass defense or how we blitzed Bridgewater.

Your right it was Geno way gave a bunch of problems with interceptions. Regardless we were up big at half in both games which allowed both Geno and Teddy to fluff up their stats. Holding them both to the mid 20s was one of te best defensive performances against them anyone had in each season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1

In all seriousness though, I wish coaches approached every game with the mindset that it's going to be a shootout and they have to be creative in order to get enough points on the board. This "we knew it was going to be close" mindset is a self-fulfilling prophecy.

SU is not going to win a close shootout with these guys. SU can't compete in a track meet with Clemson.

The way to beat them is beat them up. Smart blitzes, not bringing six or seven, play coverage behind, hit the QB hard, and shut down the run.

In the wins against WVU, Lville, and WVU the defense held the opponent to 70 (2.9ypc), 48 (2.8), 88 (2.4) yds rushing. You do that you have more chances to win 3rd down and get them off the field.

The offense has to be super efficient and try to limit the number of possessions in the game. The only way they have a chance on offense is running the ball well, like 200 yds well.

The way to beat them is beat them up. Smart blitzes, not bringing six or seven, play coverage behind, hit the QB hard, and shut down the run.

In the wins against WVU, Lville, and WVU the defense held the opponent to 70 (2.9ypc), 48 (2.8), 88 (2.4) yds rushing. You do that you have more chances to win 3rd down and get them off the field.

The offense has to be super efficient and try to limit the number of possessions in the game. The only way they have a chance on offense is running the ball well, like 200 yds well.
I agree with the first two paragraphs, but that's on the defensive side of things.

I just don't believe in the idea of "limiting" possessions.

SU is not going to win a close shootout with these guys. SU can't compete in a track meet with Clemson.

Agree with a lot of that and you have to give Boyd one look and play another. Confuse him and get him rattled or out of his zone/timing which is not going to be easy. Need the front to put pressure on them in passing situations without blitz. Can't miss tackles, grab the damn feet if you have too. One big difference regarding Boyd and Bridgewater/Smith, he will take off. What helped the Orange D was that those 2 stayed in the pocket more, Boyd won't do as much.

Offensively...execute. Play hard to the whistle, catch balls that are thrown no matter where they are as long as you can get your hands on them. Don't let the first guy tackle you, make them earn it. Hunt can't be too amped up...calm down and play your game.

Team wise, don't get rattled. The crowd will be hit too (quiet) when they score and the players have to stay focused on the big picture, not the moment. They are going to score, counter punch and don't give them any TD's, a FG once in a while instead of a TD may make a ll the difference in this game. Gunna be tough, but nothing special is ever easy. Clemson is going to want to take our crowd away from the team and make the fans a non factor, we can not let them do that just as we expect SU to fight hard, we as a crowd have to as well. Every time Clemson has the ball we have to be loud as hell.

How did NC State defend Clemson? Or did Boyd just have an off day?

Boyd had somewhat of an off night. He overthrew two early long passes that would likely have been TDs. We have our biggest problems with teams that have good defensive lines and ball control offenses.

As a Clemson die hard I want to give a big welcome to Syracuse and tge fans. Glad to have you guys in the ACC. Looking forward to a great game..

easiest thing to do is to confuse them-
have a few sheep in pink dress's roam the dome-they will spend so much time looking around for those beautiful creatures dressed in pink they will all but forget about the game

Agree. Way too much blitzing against NW and we paid the price.
the blitzing wasnt the real issue. it was the db's blowing coverages behind it multiple times. hopefully 4 weeks later those mistakes have been cleaned up

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom