So how do you defend Clemson? | Syracusefan.com

So how do you defend Clemson?

PhatOrange

Living Legend
They’re a big play offense versus a grind it out offense. We can give up big plays with our aggressive blitzing style. Do you continue to do what you do and live or die with it or do you lay off, keep Boyd in the pocket and keep the ball in front of you; the ole bend but don’t break?

They’re a big play offense versus a grind it out offense. We can give up big plays with our aggressive blitzing style. Do you continue to do what you do and live or die with it or do you lay off, keep Boyd in the pocket and keep the ball in front of you; the ole bend but don’t break?
The dline needs to disrupt Boyd at the beginning of the game. If you guys watched the State game, State brought pressure and Boyd struggled. Even when they weren't bringing pressure, Boyd rushed throws because of the threat.

#63, 229 yards per game = SU's pass defense. Fortunately, Clemson isn't much better. In fact, both defenses are eerily similar in terms on yards surrendered, granted Clemson has played better competition.

The Northwestern game showed what happens when you overdo the blitz vs a mobile QB (such as Boyd). So, try to get your DBs to play better (I really don't know if they are capable of doing so, history would say no). Mix in the blitz.

To me this game is more about offense than defense. To be in this game at the end, SU's offense will have to keep up with Clemson in scoring points.

I know this is cheesy but I honestly believe if we can get it loud in there, it will help our pressure immensely. That's not a strategy but a genuine advantage we need to capitalize on.

I know this is cheesy but I honestly believe if we can get it loud in there, it will help our pressure immensely. That's not a strategy but a genuine advantage we need to capitalize on.
Not cheesy. Our guys have never played in the Dome so it could help.

Last edited:
I was thinking it might be something like how we came out vs. USC last year. Nothing over the top. Keep everything in front of you. Make them grind. Bring blitzes but make sure they are disguised well and nothing from tape this year. Show a lot of blitz and drop back.

On O, I think we just keep doing what we've been doing - only hand it to Jerome more.

I would say kidnap Tajh but their backup qb can sling it as well so maybe kidnap Sammy Watkins?

Seriously though, we can't do 3 and out's on offense. We have to try and break up their offensive flow in any way possible whether it be sacks, big hits, turnovers, etc. If we give up big plays they should be due to being overly aggressive (jumping routes) vs sitting back in zone and letting them pick us apart.

Gotta blitz Boyd and our DB's have to live up to the reps they had coming in. We've got a lot of talented DB's that need to make plays on the ball. Mostly though I think we need to be ready to outscore them. IMO 30 points by SU won't win this game.
Side note: I almost went to Clemson. My final 5 schools were UB, Clemson, Penn State, Skidmore and Ohio U. UB was too close, Penn St wanted me to go to Behrend in Erie for 2 years, Skidmore was too small. I might've gone to Clemson but I spent a weekend in Athens OH and after a night at a frat party (complete with live reggae band) an overnight at a sorority house (complete with live sorority girl) and a day of ultimate frisbee in the Hocking River I had pretty much made up my mind. They say you shouldn't make important life decisions drunk or when in a vulnerable position but it worked out pretty well for me!

After you get Boyd on the ground, your "give him the business..."

This would be a great game to get our kickoff return unit on track. A couple of long returns to shorten the field would help immensely. Take one back all the way, even better.

Gotta blitz Boyd and our DB's have to live up to the reps they had coming in. We've got a lot of talented DB's that need to make plays on the ball. Mostly though I think we need to be ready to outscore them. IMO 30 points by SU won't win this game.
Side note: I almost went to Clemson. My final 5 schools were UB, Clemson, Penn State, Skidmore and Ohio U. UB was too close, Penn St wanted me to go to Behrend in Erie for 2 years, Skidmore was too small. I might've gone to Clemson but I spent a weekend in Athens OH and after a night at a frat party (complete with live reggae band) an overnight at a sorority house (complete with live sorority girl) and a day of ultimate frisbee in the Hocking River I had pretty much made up my mind. They say you shouldn't make important life decisions drunk or when in a vulnerable position but it worked out pretty well for me!
Wasn't Ohio U voted biggest party school in the country just recently?

We may be the best defense Clemson has faced thus far. So we've got that going for us which is nice. Speaks more to the D's they've seen vs our's though.

hmmmmmm So since your a Clemson fan we should probably do the opposite or do you expect us to do the opposite so we should do exactly as you say I've confused myself

Much like the Brady teams of the last decade and the Broncos this year, your best defense is your offense. Two minute 3 and outs won't cut it. Boyd will get his. If he only goes for 250 yards and 3 total scores I will be ecstatic. He's that good. The key is-- contain the opposing RB's, limit big special teams plays, and don't allow short fields for them (via turnovers).

The dline needs to disrupt Boyd at the beginning of the game. If you guys watched the State game, State brought pressure and Boyd struggled. Even when they weren't bringing pressure, Boyd rushed throws because of the threat.
I shouldn't be arguing against our team, but LSU disrupted and downright beat the hell outta Boyd but he kept coming and coming and coming.

I'll be pleased if we can protect the edges against the "screen w blockers out in front scenario". that's where i see us susceptible to the most big plays against.

hmmmmmm So since your a Clemson fan we should probably do the opposite or do you expect us to do the opposite so we should do exactly as you say I've confused myself
I here to bring the confusion haha.

We need to minimize the big plays.

Pass given up over 25 yards:

Penn State:

Northwestern:

Tulane:

*We've also given up several runs over 25 yards and a couple over 40.

Lots of nickel or dime defense. Ball control offense to keep Clemson off the field. A healthy Reddish would help too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The air gets really thin in there and its hard for teams to catch wind if they aren't used to it

Team didn't play particularly well against NCSU, but I think NCSU will show out to be a pretty good team this season.

Boyd's stats:
24 of 37, 244, 3td's and no picks

Horrible...

Cut Boyd's right hamstring...he wont be able to push off his right foot he will throw everything way right...hell quit the game

Team didn't play particularly well against NCSU, but I think NCSU will show out to be a pretty good team this season.

Boyd's stats:
24 of 37, 244, 3td's and no picks

Horrible...
Who said horrible ? Boyd overthrew two wide open recievers deep in that game other then that he played well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom