So how do you defend Clemson? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

So how do you defend Clemson?

BuddyChrist.png

Who said horrible ? Boyd overthrew two wide open recievers deep in that game other then that he played well.

Was directed at the other Clemson guy who said he "struggled" against NCSU. Sorry...played horrible/struggled. Point same, he played well in that game.

How did NC State defend Clemson? Or did Boyd just have an off day?

Hope he has another off day.
24 of 37, 244, 3td's and no picks

He did miss two wide open guys he normally hits though...that poster is correct there.

Was directed at the other Clemson guy who said he "struggled" against NCSU. Sorry...played horrible/struggled. Point same, he played well in that game.
He did play well in that game but was flustered at the beginning with the pressure State brought. All I was saying. Nothing at all negative against Boyd.

Put a spy on Boyd. I would choose Spruill.

This is what one defensive coordinator said last year you just can't do against the spread (and when you play someone who has a mobile QB who can throw makes it obviously very tough to defend). If you put a 'spy' on a QB in this offense, you'll get abused by quick passes to the TE or RB. You have to count on a pass rush from your front 4, particularly up the middle. The key against the spread is consistent push up the middle, which is honestly key against most any offense - you disrupt things/cut the field in half.

Reactions: 007
My guess is we'll see the same scheme we witnessed last year against USC. Cover 3, cover 4 between the 20's. We will bring pressure on 2nd and 3rd and long. We are not going to keep Clemson from scoring, they are too talented. We need to hold them under 35 or so to have a chance.

Since we know Clemson will score does this mean we'll go for a few 4th and shorts in the middle of the field, and eschew long FG attempts? You know, since the goal is to win, not just have it be close in the 3rd quarter?

A guy can dream, right?

They’re a big play offense versus a grind it out offense. We can give up big plays with our aggressive blitzing style. Do you continue to do what you do and live or die with it or do you lay off, keep Boyd in the pocket and keep the ball in front of you; the ole bend but don’t break?
I blitz this out of them and try to keep our offense on the field.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1

I know this is cheesy but I honestly believe if we can get it loud in there, it will help our pressure immensely. That's not a strategy but a genuine advantage we need to capitalize on.
I remember a loud Dome forcing more than a few timeouts and false starts. Who knows how many miscommunications it has caused? No place is louder when it's rocking. If we can score early it'll help get the crowd into it.

-

It can't be like NW. Too much blitzing, too much experience at the QB position.

My plan to defend Clemson is thus:

Tackle the Clemson player with the ball.

I agree with those here saying we need to keep the game in front of our D. Pick your spots with the blitz. Make the Clemson offense run more plays to get what they want.

On offense, whatever you gotta do to score. Don't get hung up on running to set up the pass. Just get 3-4 yards per play and get Hunt in a rhythm. If Hunt starts clicking early that could be a hella fun afternoon.

We're not going to stop them - its going to be a shootout. As Otto would say you win by scoring more points. We're just gonna need a lot of points.

Give Boyd the business in every pile. :D

We're not going to stop them - its going to be a shootout. As Otto would say you win by scoring more points. We're just gonna need a lot of points.
In all seriousness though, I wish coaches approached every game with the mindset that it's going to be a shootout and they have to be creative in order to get enough points on the board. This "we knew it was going to be close" mindset is a self-fulfilling prophecy.

-

Blitz the stuff out of them, try to force turnovers and put as many points on the board on offense as we can. Taking one to the house on the opening kickoff wouldn't hurt either lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom