So how is the class shaping up going into the fall? | Syracusefan.com

So how is the class shaping up going into the fall?

Czar

All Conference
I might be wrong, but it feels like we have fewer recruits going into the fall than before under Marrone, and it seems like this class might be a slight stepback overall (while doing better on stud players). It's hard to get an OVERALL feeling with all the individual threads, so a compilation of what it looks like here would be nice.

I might be wrong, but it feels like we have fewer recruits going into the fall than before under Marrone, and it seems like this class might be a slight stepback overall (while doing better on stud players). It's hard to get an OVERALL feeling with all the individual threads, so a compilation of what it looks like here would be nice.

Marrone's best class to date so far and some big fish still on the hook.

I don't put too much faith in Rivals / Scout ratings, but it is semi-encouraging to see that all of our recruits have been upgraded to 3 stars at one site or the other. Seems like we're continuing the trend of adding good athletes on both sides of the ball. Love the D-Linemen [seems like we struggled to land quality DTs forever, and the depth we're building there is impressive]. I'm a big fan of BOTH QBs we landed. Ditto the two linebackers, and the "big fish" instate RB.

I'm a little nervous about where we stand at OL. Tomcat had a great post last week about the need for OTs in the class, and how we're struggling on that front, at least with the kids that we know about [the ones listed in the recruiting databases]. Also, I'd like to continue the trend of adding quality WRs; last year's class of Cornelius / Lewis looks very promising, and we need to continue adding playmakers, playmakers, playmakers.

The total number might be something people point to as a cause for concern, but I think it is indicative of us being more selective. Somebody--not sure who--posted a few weeks ago that we've told a bunch of prospects that they were not top priorities--kids who we would have taken in a heartbeat in any of Marrone's first three classes. If that's true, it bodes well.

And this is my opinion only, but I think that having an exciting offense this year is going to make it an easier "sell" on the recruiting trail. Think of what it was like when we had kids in on recruiting visits and our offensive performance was painful to watch, half empty Dome, etc. When we win some games and go to a bowl, I think this class is really going to shape up nicely.

We are doing very well. Both QB's are solid D1 prospects and both are looking to come in Jan which is huge. We could use another LB, Cover corner, and three OL's tackles please. I expect a juco or two at OL unless we get lucky as the guys we are still in tight with will not contribute next year. It would be nice to add Smith as our speed back and possibly one more wr who is a deep threat.

Marrone was just trying to get a full roster. We have a full roster so we can be selective and take the players we really want.

We are doing very well. Both QB's are solid D1 prospects and both are looking to come in Jan which is huge. We could use another LB, Cover corner, and three OL's tackles please. I expect a juco or two at OL unless we get lucky as the guys we are still in tight with will not contribute next year. It would be nice to add Smith as our speed back and possibly one more wr who is a deep threat.

Smith seems like exactly what I need, and would be the ideal back not only for the offense Marrone is running now (perfect receiving back, good shotgun back) but might be the answer in the return game.

The fact that we have one of the top QB's in the nation this year is enough for me to say this is the best class in at least 10 years.

I like the commits we have on our list, including the QBs and LBs. But, face it, there is a lot of work still to be done.

Our numbers of commits lag most of our Big East and ACC rivals. Not many OL or WRs have given us a second look.
It could work out OK, as there is some buzz around the program, and we likely will post some good wins. Our rivals have filled a lot of spots -- we have more openings to use for kids that emerge in their senior seasons. With Penn State and Pitt struggling, our program looks more competitive.

I like the commits we have on our list, including the QBs and LBs. But, face it, there is a lot of work still to be done.

Our numbers of commits lag most of our Big East and ACC rivals. Not many OL or WRs have given us a second look.
It could work out OK, as there is some buzz around the program, and we likely will post some good wins. Our rivals have filled a lot of spots -- we have more openings to use for kids that emerge in their senior seasons. With Penn State and Pitt struggling, our program looks more competitive.

Have you considered that our numbers lag because we only have about 15/16 openings and have to be selective with the remaining ships; one reason being we’re going hard after some big boy prospects?

Be careful now, you will quickly be shunned here for having any kind of concern here with recruiting. All I have to say, I traveled to see 2 pretty good football teams play Saturday. The experience at MetLife stadium was atrocious. I had maybe 12 other Syracuse fans in our entire section, The whole top of the stadium was empty. Other than the student section and the band, it was the only part of the stadium dominated by Orange, we at best were 50/50 attendance wise. The so called NY experiment is yet to be realized as far as potential recruiting exposure, but I saw more kids watching USC than the sidelines of Syracuse. I totally agree with you we have allot of work to do. But this NY thing is much more than a work in progress. It gets worse when PSU and ND come the next 2 years. I for one would like to see how this is boosting our recruiting. We are officially going to the ACC, the team is playing much better than it has, we have been pumping up NY and boosting ourselves as NY's CFB Team and are now playing our best non-conf games there. Where is the benefit so far? We are being selective, oh really? Again, unless our class is only in the mid to upper teens, I have to agree we are lagging. How about a right tackle for starts?

We are being picky and waiting on some big names. That is the beauty of improving your program.

We are being picky and waiting on some big names. That is the beauty of improving your program.

What are these big name OL recruits? If someone can post a list here of our primary targets, rather than me having to check every individual thread and breakdown the offer chart to see who is first choice, that'd be nice.

What are these big name OL recruits? If someone can post a list here of our primary targets, rather than me having to check every individual thread and breakdown the offer chart to see who is first choice, that'd be nice.

Shawn Curtis and Alex Officer are two that the staff are really high on. Hopefully we can pull in both. One is a G and the other is a T.

Have you considered that our numbers lag because we only have about 15/16 openings and have to be selective with the remaining ships; one reason being we’re going hard after some big boy prospects?
I doubt that 15/16 number -- more likely it will be 22/23 when the fishes and loaves are counted. There will usually be 4th year guys who move on; attrition for academics or other reasons.

Shawn Curtis and Alex Officer are two that the staff are really high on. Hopefully we can pull in both. One is a G and the other is a T.
The need for the o-line is clear. No team in the country can win without a dominate set of "uglies"We are getting there but the going is slow.We have already lost a very good player in Chris Curtis for next year. I like Palmer and Emerich along with Robinson but we need another group in there. I know I'm overlooking someone for next year so its back to the roster for a refresher course.:crazy:

I think that WR recruiting will see an uptick with the offensive system now fully functional. Assuming we continue to go no-huddle with Nassib (or whatever QB it is in the future) throwing the ball to a number of targets, recruiting WR's should become an easier task.

I've don a lot of fishing so having them on the hook is good but until they get in the boat the fish is free.We need O-linemen and a quality WR. And of course Laray Smith,.Speed and more speed.couchburn

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom