So I deleted my thread about the jersey... | Syracusefan.com

So I deleted my thread about the jersey...

Jake said:
I may have overreacted. But my general angst still stands. Unforgivable mistake that needs to be addressed internally by the university.

I did not reply to the original thread, but I read it. Glad you started this thread. I did not believe you thought that negatively or at least chose to position it that way.

That said, I also wish you had left the thread. Others make mistakes (or whatever you want to call it...it wasn't a mistake as much as it was a reaction) and they can't delete the thread. Given the growing sense of mods vs regulars, it could/would have been a good opportunity to demonstrate that no one is immune to emotional reaction. IMO, you have never abused the privilege of deleting a thread to your advantage, but others certainly have.

Either way, agree it was unforgivable, ridiculous, unexplainable, BS, and indicative of an attitude that doesn't pay attention to legacy details or the emotional side of legacy as a concept. But there are many other things this AD staff has done well and as unforgivable as this is/ was/always will be, there is a broader context of the accomplishments.

44cuse

I may have overreacted. But my general angst still stands. Unforgivable mistake that needs to be addressed internally by the university.

I think your post was pretty well accepted. Maybe a bit exaggerated, but at the same time it was a big mistake to make for the department which led to some national waves.

Personally, I would think they need to address this externally also. And in a much better way than "Have a Snickers" Giansante did. Shameful. Oh Lord

The school "deeply regrets" the error? Would it be too much to offer an apology? I feel like they came off like the celebrities who say something offensive but don't want to admit that what they said was wrong.

2014-2015 season
1) The year of self imposed probation and the 114 day and counting NCAA report
2) The year DC2 had to redshirt
3) The year Chris McCullough got injured
4) The year of a very short bench
5) The year we upset Duke on the road (hey, you never know)
6) The year we didn't play the Canadian National Anthem when visitors from the north came
7) The year the Athletic Department looked like a bunch of amateurs when it came to spelling and apologies

2014-2015 season
1) The year of self imposed probation and the 114 day and counting NCAA report
2) The year DC2 had to redshirt
3) The year Chris McCullough got injured
4) The year of a very short bench
5) The year we upset Duke on the road (hey, you never know)
6) The year we didn't play the Canadian National Anthem when visitors from the north came
7) The year the Athletic Department looked like a bunch of amateurs when it came to spelling and apologies
They didn't do the Canadian National Anthem? That's awful

Didn't see the thread, but the situation is a slow-motion train wreck. Someone had to have seen it at some point and correcting it (at least making it presentable from a distance) should have been a simple matter.
Wow, that's multiple levels of incompetence.

44cuse said:
I did not reply to the original thread, but I read it. Glad you started this thread. I did not believe you thought that negatively or at least chose to position it that way. That said, I also wish you had left the thread. Others make mistakes (or whatever you want to call it...it wasn't a mistake as much as it was a reaction) and they can't delete the thread. Given the growing sense of mods vs regulars, it could/would have been a good opportunity to demonstrate that no one is immune to emotional reaction. IMO, you have never abused the privilege of deleting a thread to your advantage, but others certainly have. Either way, agree it was unforgivable, ridiculous, unexplainable, BS, and indicative of an attitude that doesn't pay attention to legacy details or the emotional side of legacy as a concept. But there are many other things this AD staff has done well and as unforgivable as this is/ was/always will be, there is a broader context of the accomplishments. 44cuse

There has been many times a poster has requested a thread that they started be deleted and we obliged. Even though a poster can't physically do it themselves, they can still ask. I don't know what deleting a thread to someone's advantage means, so I can't comment on that.

" Given the growing sense of mods vs regulars......"
44cuse

Say what? These forums exist for those you call "the regulars." The mods here spend an inordinate amount of their own time on these forums (literally 24/7)... making sure they are informative ... and places for civilized discourse. We are all here because we care about SU sports.

I don't think you went far enough. I'm good for $500 towards a billboard to bring public shame to Dareill Grose, complete with a call for his head on a platter and one way ticket out of town. Who's with me?

Last edited:
It was an egregious error, and it is very embarrassing for all those involved in the program, I just don't think someone should lose their job over it.

I knew I wasn't losing my mind yesterday when I thought your post seemed awfully unJakelike.

:)

Personally, I would think they need to address this externally also. And in a much better way than "Have a Snickers" Giansante did. Shameful. Oh Lord

Agreed. An argument could be made that his comments in the Post Standard were worse than the initial mistake. He offered a couple words of apology and several paragraphs of deflection and excuse-making. Giansante essentially was arguing that this mistake doesn't matter.

It would entirely reasonable, I believe, to start a thread asking for him to be fired.

It was an egregious error, and it is very embarrassing for all those involved in the program, I just don't think someone should lose their job over it.
I'd say it wouldn't be too hard to find a replacement, but apparently it is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom