So I deleted my thread about the jersey... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

So I deleted my thread about the jersey...

Say what? These forums exist for those you call "the regulars." The mods here spend an inordinate amount of their own time on these forums (literally 24/7)... making sure they are informative ... and places for civilized discourse. We are all here because we care about SU sports.

Can everyone quit saying "regulars." I'm an 'All-American!' :)

I'd say it wouldn't be too hard to find a replacement, but apparently it is.

It probably wouldn't have been hard to find a replacement. The guy made a mistake, but its not like he is running the athletic dept into the ground, committed a crime, or made some horrible racist remark.

The problem in a nutshell is a lack of basic common sense because typos happen ALL the time
(as the athletic department may have learned).

The person in charge of ordering the item either didn't check the spelling beforehand or the company that made the item made a mistake.

After that (from Syracuse.com):

"...no one else from the athletic department looked at it before the ceremony began... "

"...it wasn't something that you'd think would need to be looked at beforehand," Giansante said."

Really????

I double check EVERY order I make and then check the item upon receipt...and I'm not conducting half court ceremonies in front of thousands of people. It is inconceivable that no one checked for mistakes beforehand.

If I'm the IRS I know a few audits I'm going to be doing.

He didn't think it need to be checked beforehand.

how in the world does he think that is an acceptable thing to say?

IOW, either you just don't give a sh't ...our you're incompetent.

It probably wouldn't have been hard to find a replacement. The guy made a mistake, but its not like he is running the athletic dept into the ground, committed a crime, or made some horrible racist remark.
Eh, people have been fired for less, and there were plenty of eyeballs to witness it.

Eh, people have been fired for less, and there were plenty of eyeballs to witness it.

That is true, maybe I am a bit over sensitive to the issue, because few years I was fired for something that wasn't my fault, and I still have bad feelings about it.

seems like even with the mistake it had to be seen by a large number of people before it was handed out.. how hard is it to go to a seamstress and get it fixed? doesnt su have a major that deals with fashion crap? grab a sewing maching and do a fix even if its not a permanent one?

alas cornell had its special jerseys screwed up this week as well. they sewed the wrong numbers on some jerseys no heads will roll though.

"...it wasn't something that you'd think would need to be looked at beforehand," Giansante said (as he attempts to cover his own ass). This guy is head of communications? Even if he believes that - you don't say sh**t like that if for no other reason than it makes you look like an a-hole, incompetent, or both. So I'm not sure what makes this guy more incompetent - having the fiasco happen or the manner in which he responded to it.

Okay, here is my rant on the subject (since everything I said yesterday got deleted with Jake's post).. Up until a few years ago, Rob Edson was the #2 person in the department. In addition to being one of the nicest people on the planet, he was responsible for practically everything in that department... and did everything flawlessly.

Rob of course, was forced out ... as DG brought in a bunch of his own people... all from the West Coast. In the course of a few years, Rob had been replaced by FOUR people: Renee Baumgartner, Herm Frazier, Terry Donovan and Joe Giansante --- each of whom individually is paid more than Rob was.

The Bouie jersey disaster would not have happened with Rob here. But it happened with some combo of his four replacements. Perhaps the difference is that Rob knew and truly cared about the school and its athletes ... and doing his best job for them.

Last edited:
Okay, here is my rant on the subject.. Up until a few years ago, Rob Edson was the #2 person in the department. In addition to being one of the nicest people on the planet, he was responsible for practically everything in that department... and did everything flawlessly.

Rob of course, was forced out ... as DG brought in a bunch of his own people... all from the West Coast. In the course of a few years, Rob had been replaced by FOUR people: Renee Baumgartner, Herm Frazier, Terry Donovan and Joe Giansante --- all of whom individually is paid more than Rob was.

The Bouie jersey disaster would not have happened with Rob. But it happened with some combo of his four replacements. Perhaps the difference is that Rob truly cared about the school and its athletes ... and doing his best job for them.

Someone should re-tell this story to someone with some real clout... like someone who sits on the board of trustees or something like that.

Okay, here is my rant on the subject.. Up until a few years ago, Rob Edson was the #2 person in the department. In addition to being one of the nicest people on the planet, he was responsible for practically everything in that department... and did everything flawlessly.

Rob of course, was forced out ... as DG brought in a bunch of his own people... all from the West Coast. In the course of a few years, Rob had been replaced by FOUR people: Renee Baumgartner, Herm Frazier, Terry Donovan and Joe Giansante --- each of whom individually is paid more than Rob was.

The Bouie jersey disaster would not have happened with Rob. But it happened with some combo of his four replacements. Perhaps the difference is that Rob truly cared about the school and its athletes ... and doing his best job for them.
th

cto said:
Okay, here is my rant on the subject.. Up until a few years ago, Rob Edson was the #2 person in the department. In addition to being one of the nicest people on the planet, he was responsible for practically everything in that department... and did everything flawlessly. Rob of course, was forced out ... as DG brought in a bunch of his own people... all from the West Coast. In the course of a few years, Rob had been replaced by FOUR people: Renee Baumgartner, Herm Frazier, Terry Donovan and Joe Giansante --- each of whom individually is paid more than Rob was. The Bouie jersey disaster would not have happened with Rob. But it happened with some combo of his four replacements. Perhaps the difference is that Rob truly cared about the school and its athletes ... and doing his best job for them.

Very few up there now has any sense of SU history. Most everyone here would have immediately known it was misspelled. Up there...not so much. Half of them never heard of Rosie.

That speaks volumes alone.

I really don't think there is much else to say here.

I just suspect the Chancellor will instill his own offense in the not-so-distant future.

More incompetence on parade...

Did you know that iPads are banned from Carrier Dome sporting events?

I was told by security at the LAX game that fans aren't supposed to have internet access during games because they don't want us "blogging the games".

I guess you can follow the game on twitter if you have a large smartphone, but not a small iPad.

Big Brother is watching. :eat popcorn:

Very few up there now has any sense of SU history. Most everyone here would have immediately known it was misspelled. Up there...not so much. Half of them never heard of Rosie.

I think you're right. I was 4 years old when Roosevelt graduated and I know how to spell his name - and also what he meant to the program and it's history.

OrangeXtreme said:
More incompetence on parade... Did you know that iPads are banned from Carrier Dome sporting events? I was told by security at the LAX game that fans aren't supposed to have internet access during games because they don't want us "blogging the games". I guess you can follow the game on twitter if you have a large smartphone, but not a small iPad. Big Brother is watching. :eat popcorn:

I don't get that because you can do the same thing on a phone.

Okay, here is my rant on the subject (since everything I said yesterday got deleted with Jake's post).. Up until a few years ago, Rob Edson was the #2 person in the department. In addition to being one of the nicest people on the planet, he was responsible for practically everything in that department... and did everything flawlessly.

WOW

I may have overreacted. But my general angst still stands. Unforgivable mistake that needs to be addressed internally by the university.
What, you cost me 15 likes...;)

I'll also repeat what I wrote in it, the guy has done some great things here not the least of which is getting SU into the modern era, but between this and the ED statue fiasco selling the proverbial sole of SU and ED to Nike then the cumulative effect is thats enough, it's now a fireable offense.

Didnt Dr G mess up sending a email also? Replying to a group of people instead of one?

More incompetence on parade...

Did you know that iPads are banned from Carrier Dome sporting events?

I was told by security at the LAX game that fans aren't supposed to have internet access during games because they don't want us "blogging the games".

I guess you can follow the game on twitter if you have a large smartphone, but not a small iPad.

Big Brother is watching. :eat popcorn:

No one said a word to me when I brought an ipad into the dome last week for the lacrosse games. My daughter was watching Disney Channel on it while my wife and I had a few drinks on club 44 between games. Three employees saw it and didn't say a word.

The Bouie jersey disaster would not have happened with Rob here. But it happened with some combo of his four replacements. Perhaps the difference is that Rob truly cared about the school and its athletes ... and doing his best job for them.

I remember the articles about Rob after he passed away that had quotes from some of the OCC athletes. Seems like he knew how to spell their names - along with a whole lot more about them. I guess I didn't realize he was forced out. That just makes me really sad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom