So... If Edwards, Mintz and Girard all return? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

So... If Edwards, Mintz and Girard all return?

Upside and potential?
That’s certainly fair, but what if I told you Girard never had a year as bad statistically as Starling did this year on both sides of the ball.

I get he was a McDonalds all american and he grew up in the town I live in, but if we can get someone better we should. I guess I am the contrarian on this one.

JJ was on a garbage ND team whose coach had a foot out the door the entire season. He also didn’t have a Prentiss Hubb to play off of like Wesley did last season.

I don’t think he’s a no doubt stud but I think it’s fair to mostly throw away this season. His upside is real.

A Judah/JJ/JT/Quadir backcourt rotation is legit. The sophomore leap is real.

That’s certainly fair, but what if I told you Girard never had a year as bad statistically as Starling did this year on both sides of the ball.

I get he was a McDonalds all american and he grew up in the town I live in, but if we can get someone better we should. I guess I am the contrarian on this one.
That ND was terrible this year. I’m not judging JJ on that debacle. They were about as athletic as we were last year.

I think he will be a much better player in a different environment.

What stats do you refer to? In 2020-21 JG averaged 9.8 pts and shot 35.5 fg/33.3 3pt. JJ this year averaged 11.2/42.1/29.9.

Not disagreeing, I am just wondering where you got stats.

What stats do you refer to? In 2020-21 JG averaged 9.8 pts and shot 35.5 fg/33.3 3pt. JJ this year averaged 11.2/42.1/29.9.

Not disagreeing, I am just wondering where you got stats.
Advanced…

I’m not that high on JJ. Maybe I’m wrong but I’m fine if they don’t pursue him. I want the ball in Mintz hands always. And JJ can’t shoot well enough to be a solid 2
Exactly. That would be possibly the worst shooting backcourt in the ACC, even worse than some of those BC backcourts we’ve seen recently chucking the balls at the rim! Both shot under 30% from 3, and folks always say free-throw percentage might be an indicator of potential future success in developing a better shot, well he shot 63% from the line. Not good! While it might be a freakishly athletic backcourt, that won’t help when teams can sag off TWO players and pack the middle.

I seem to recall JJ hurting his shoulder against us. He also missed a few games down the stretch with a bruised knee. Despite that, he made the ACC All-Freshman Team.

If Jesse comes back, we need to surround him with shooters. I’m not sure JJ is the answer.

Exactly. That would be possibly the worst shooting backcourt in the ACC, even worse than some of those BC backcourts we’ve seen recently chucking the balls at the rim! Both shot under 30% from 3, and folks always say free-throw percentage might be an indicator of potential future success in developing a better shot, well he shot 63% from the line. Not good! While it might be a freakishly athletic backcourt, that won’t help when teams can sag off TWO players and pack the middle.
Usually guys get better though. Highly doubt they both shoot under 30% from 3 next year.

I’m not that high on JJ. Maybe I’m wrong but I’m fine if they don’t pursue him. I want the ball in Mintz hands always. And JJ can’t shoot well enough to be a solid 2

A Mintz/JJ back court would create a tempo that I think red wants to play. What we would lose in shooting I think we would make up for it with M2M guard pressure on defense, speed, tempo, and creativity. I think that would be an awesome back court to set the tone for RED changing the way we play. Fast and with tremendous pace compared to the slow down ISO zone style we play now.

That ND was terrible this year. I’m not judging JJ on that debacle. They were about as athletic as we were last year.

I think he will be a much better player in a different environment.
If he comes here and plays well I’ll be happy, but that’s basically the same team that won 24 games the year before and went to the sweet 16 with he replacing first round pick Blake Wesley.

I hope we have some success via the portal so that we don’t have to rely on Joe as much, if he DOES come back.
I got some pushback on this, but I said at the beginning of this past year that if Joe is our leading scorer, it's a very bad sign and we're not making the tournament. Same exact situation if he comes back next year and is our leading scorer again. It means other guys aren't stepping up and we probably suck again.

In a perfect world he is coming off the bench playing 15-20 minutes per game.

Offensively he's great. But man his defense is James Harden level bad, no effort.
He can defend. Brey is such a bad defensive coach it’s not funny. Year in and year out, ND was terrible on the defensive end.

Part of it is that he recruits shooters over defenders, but the other is that he views defense as time spent until they can score again.

He can defend. Brey is such a bad defensive coach it’s not funny. Year in and year out, ND was terrible on the defensive end.

Part of it is that he recruits shooters over defenders, but the other is that he views defense as time spent until they can score again.
Sounds like every AAU kid’s dream.

Ahh gotcha, that explains a lot lol. Was wondering why every guy on ND just got blown by religiously

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom