So... If Edwards, Mintz and Girard all return? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

So... If Edwards, Mintz and Girard all return?

If we are moving to positionless basketball I think we are going to have more bigs like Brown and Carey and less like Edwards. The Edwards type of big is an endangered species playing man to man at this point. Not saying those guys are ready, but we are going to need quickness at the 5.
UVM, albeit not a P5, played most of the season with 4 or 5 guards on the floor at all times. It will likely be a problem for them in the ncaa tourney, but helped them win their conference and conference championship.

That’s certainly fair, but what if I told you Girard never had a year as bad statistically as Starling did this year on both sides of the ball.

I get he was a McDonalds all american and he grew up in the town I live in, but if we can get someone better we should. I guess I am the contrarian on this one.
How can they be compared defensively? Just don’t understand that.

If Jesse comes back, we need to surround him with shooters, and teach him how to quickly recognize the double teams and get the ball to those shooters. I’m not sure JJ is the answer.
Fixed

Our 2 needs to be able to shoot at least 35% from 3. We need increased athleticism at the 2 with a shot. That way Judah has a complimentary running mate. Our SF needs to also be able to shoot at least 35% from 3, pass and board. Bell can shoot and that's it, he needs to do hella more with his time. Our 4 needs to be a bruiser and rebounding machine. If Jesse stays just get stronger.

JJ Starling can shoot. He will adjust and be a good shooter in college. This video is 3 years old, but look at his form. Don't focus on the competition, focus on his shot.

He can defend. Brey is such a bad defensive coach it’s not funny. Year in and year out, ND was terrible on the defensive end.

Part of it is that he recruits shooters over defenders, but the other is that he views defense as time spent until they can score again.
Mike and Fran McCaffery would make quite a defensive meeting of the minds.

He can defend. Brey is such a bad defensive coach it’s not funny. Year in and year out, ND was terrible on the defensive end.

Part of it is that he recruits shooters over defenders, but the other is that he views defense as time spent until they can score again.
That second paragraph sounds familiar.

Hope Copeland gets looks at the 3 if JJ comes.

Judah
JJ
Q
Portal PF who plays above the rim
Jesse

Bell
Taylor
Brown

Wow

Guys, Jesse and Joe arent coming back. If Mintz gets an agreement from a team, hes gone too. I love his IG post but expect a very revamped team next year
I thought Jesse was lookin good to come back b/c of NIL and “other factors.”

An “agreement from a team” for Judah? Meaning NBA or college?

Last edited:
Honest question for the board, how would Girard fit in?
For me.. I think the issue of Defense is what hurts us with his game. I think it was his best season and he did a lot of good things, JG things and TBH he's just a natural scorer beyond just shooting 3s. The lack of ability or effort to D just jumps out at me always. I don't know if he would be willing to change roles, and come off the bench for instant O, but I can't see how his D translates to what Red is talking about.

I’m not that high on JJ. Maybe I’m wrong but I’m fine if they don’t pursue him. I want the ball in Mintz hands always. And JJ can’t shoot well enough to be a solid 2
I haven’t seen JJ play enough in college to weigh in. Obviously he’s a hometown kid and the connection with the staff could help in convincing him to come here. But if the staff decides there are better, more physical and experienced guards/wings out there that they want, I trust them to figure it out.

If we are moving to positionless basketball I think we are going to have more bigs like Brown and Carey and less like Edwards. The Edwards type of big is an endangered species playing man to man at this point. Not saying those guys are ready, but we are going to need quickness at the 5.
Agree.. unless he's athletic, Defense first and versatile.

I think Starling’s shoulder injury might have effected his shooting. He was considered a really good shooter.

Have to have a viable alternative to Jesse who can play 10-15 if we're playing MTM. Jesse will foul out easily. He also needs to bulk up. He is easily pushed around by the more physical centers in the ACC.

We need a strong rebounder and someone who can attack the rim. Wish JG the best but he he does not fit in a more agressive scheme. It's not his game.

Think Benny will be much better Defensively in Man-2-Man.
He probably will I would agree but man he really needs to get his head on straight. Seems like his maturing in the program has been a big struggle for him. I just wonder if a transfer and a fresh start would be better for him. All teenagers mature at different pace but his body language/attitude during this past season was frequently no bueno. If he stays and gets his head right, he will definitely bring more value. If he can't I would rather wish him well in a new place and a fresh start.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom