So if Sean Tucker | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

So if Sean Tucker

We have been mediocre or bad for two decades now with one ten win season in there.

We are arguing over one of our very few traditions we've ever had.

This is crazy. My thing is always with the coaches and players. When you play on a team, you know who is the most talented, is the best leader, etc. You know who the ballers are, plain and simple.

If there is a recognition by the team of his capabilities, which there sure seems to be, why not give it to this kid? He gets to wear it, for better or worse, based on his play to date and the way he's held himself as a student-athlete and representative of SU.

And then after him, if no one is necessarily worthy of it, don't give it out until someone earns it.

We have a legit football history. We have a national title. We have real college football legends. We have a ton of NFL HoFers. It's ok to have nice things once in a while. Maybe we aren't Bama, but we sure as heck have a history and this kid has earned this jersey and, to be honest, the fans that have stuck around to support this program, albeit not as many as we used to have maybe, have earned the right to get to enjoy him having this jersey.

What are we doing here? The absolute worst thing to happen would be if Tucker somehow fell off a cliff in production, which no one would wager on right now. Or, if he had a career-ending injury, which he still would be able to wear the jersey bc the kid represents SU as well as anyone.

But the upside? Can you imagine... can you imagine us getting to a bowl game with Tucker being all conference and maybe an all american and wearing 44.

ok then take down the statue, remove him from the Syracuse story. If it's an absolute one way or the other then let's just do the "he doesn't exist at syracuse" thing.
Agree. Good people can and do bad things. Bad people can and do good things. Honor and celebrate the good, acknowledge and overcome the bad.

Part of overcoming bad things is to recognize a person ahs an issue and then facing the issue. Jim Brown will not be canonized as a saint, yet he did a lot of god things.

ok then take down the statue, remove him from the Syracuse story. If it's an absolute one way or the other then let's just do the "he doesn't exist at syracuse" thing.
You gonna take your toys and go home too? How about he was the greatest of all-time, absolutely a legend on the field, but somebody with admitted anger/violence issues who's opinion might not be valid in today's world. JB should should enjoy the sunset and let SU do whatever the F it wants to do.

Also I think statues are stupid unless they are of the greatest men in US History, i.e. Washington, Lincoln, etc. Football players get a statue? smh

In 1965, Brown was charged with assault and battery after an 18-year-old woman alleged he forced her to have s e x. He was acquitted by a jury.

In 1969, Brown was charged with assaulting a man over a traffic incident. He was acquitted.

In 1971, he was charged with battering two women. Both women chose not to testify.

In 1978, he spent a day in jail after beating a golfing partner.

In 1985, charges of rape, s e xual battery, and assault against Brown were dropped after the 33-year-old woman who made the claims gave inconsistent testimony.

In 1986, Brown went to jail for allegedly beating his 21-year-old fiancée. A few days later, she informed authorities that she didn't want to press charges.

And in 1999, Brown was convicted after working out his frustrations on his 25-year-old wife's car. She previously claimed he was violent and abusive, but later testified that that was not true.

For the 1999 conviction, Brown was sentenced to probation and ordered to attend spousal-abuse counseling. He refused, asserting that the incident had nothing to do with domestic violence. For that remark, he enjoyed a brief trip to the slammer.

And yes now that he is an old man he said he shouldn't have done those things, he has anger issues, etc, blah blah blah. For 30 years he was not a good human being so no, his opinion doesn't mean as much to me as someone like Little who exemplified what a stand up human being should look like.

Everyone has a ledger in life and you can't erase or line through anything on either side, especially things like that.

But we also need to know the other side of the ledger:

As to #44, I agree that the university should do what it wants with the number. Floyd always took it more seriously than Jim, who's complaint just seems to be that he wasn't consulted on the Robert Washington thing. I think he might go along with it if it was explained that it now has to be earned and that the player's value as a teammate, an SU student and a member of the community could be as important as his numbers.

Everyone has a ledger in life and you can't erase or line through anything on either side, especially things like that.

But we also need to know the other side of the ledger:

As to #44, I agree that the university should do what it wants with the number. Floyd always took it more seriously than Jim, who's complaint just seems to be that he wasn't consulted on the Robert Washington thing. I think he might go along with it if it was explained that it now has to be earned and that the player's value as a teammate, an SU student and a member of the community could be as important as his numbers.
I get what you're saying. I also woke up at 12 years old to my mother screaming my name to find her fiance on top of her choking her out. I ran up to him and kicked him in the ribs as hard as I fing could and ran my ass next door to call the cops. I have zero tolerance for domestic violence.

You gonna take your toys and go home too? How about he was the greatest of all-time, absolutely a legend on the field, but somebody with admitted anger/violence issues who's opinion might not be valid in today's world. JB should should enjoy the sunset and let SU do whatever the F it wants to do.

Also I think statues are stupid unless they are of the greatest men in US History, i.e. Washington, Lincoln, etc. Football players get a statue? smh

He may be more valid in today's world. He's a flawed guy. The world is a complex place and he fits right within it. He paid his price to society. So in your world he lost his ability to opine on anything Syracuse? That's crazy.

Jim Brown's opinion on 44 matters. I disagree with him but it matters. Rob Konrad's opinion matters, Owens opinion matters, etc.

My initial point was I'd love to see a big game at the Dome where it's unveiled to a gigantic surprise to the community. That would be amazing.

Say he goes for 90 this week, and 150 v Albany, and 120 v Liberty

He'd be at 540 yards through four games.

That's manageable. He'd only need 460 yards to hit 1000 yards, over 8 remaining games.

I really hope he hits 600+ through first four.

I just don't see him playing much past Q1 v Albany, and Rutgers will focus on him.

If he hits for 100+ against Rutgers (say 130), he will hit 1000 by game 8

Free #44 and give him the dam number. Big Deal.

It used to be a recruiting tool. Now the fact that the number is shelved and kids seemingly can't even earn it doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Recruiting drags and yet we won't use something as innocuous as a number to try and entice a good RB. So what if a kid doesn't live up to the expectations. Very few kids ever will but you still have to go for it.

The last two #22's on the lax team didn't dampen what that number means for the lacrosse program. You don't shelve it because a couple kids didn't reach legend status...you give it to the next kid who might have a chance. You assume that will be Spallina.

It used to be a recruiting tool. Now the fact that the number is shelved and kids seemingly can't even earn it doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Recruiting drags and yet we won't use something as innocuous as a number to try and entice a good RB. So what if a kid doesn't live up to the expectations. Very few kids ever will but you still have to go for it.

The last two #22's on the lax team didn't dampen what that number means for the lacrosse program. You don't shelve it because a couple kids didn't reach legend status...you give it to the next kid who might have a chance. You assume that will be Spallina.

Agree. This is being way over-thought. It's a win. We have the kid for it. His teammates want him to have it.

Get it done. This seems like a seriously over-democratized process. We need a benevolent dictator to just say "yes, common sense says this is a good thing, here you go Sean, make us proud as you have always done, we'll be cheering for you."

Agree. This is being way over-thought. It's a win. We have the kid for it. His teammates want him to have it.

Get it done. This seems like a seriously over-democratized process. We need a benevolent dictator to just say "yes, common sense says this is a good thing, here you go Sean, make us proud as you have always done, we'll be cheering for you."
We have an AD that understands the history and bleeds orange. He could be that benevolent dictator, and he could be very quiet about it.

He may be more valid in today's world. He's a flawed guy. The world is a complex place and he fits right within it. He paid his price to society. So in your world he lost his ability to opine on anything Syracuse? That's crazy.

Jim Brown's opinion on 44 matters. I disagree with him but it matters. Rob Konrad's opinion matters, Owens opinion matters, etc.

My initial point was I'd love to see a big game at the Dome where it's unveiled to a gigantic surprise to the community. That would be amazing.
Paid his price? Go look at the list of things he's accused of. He was 'acquited' on a few and on many others the witness suddenly refused to cooperate i.e. intimidation or paid them off. It didn't affect his career, didn't affect his movie roles, etc. Would you give Ray Rice the same pass if he suddenly did some volunteer work and admitted he was wrong for knocking her out? Brown threw a woman out a window. You are minimizing what he really did. He wouldn't even have a career in today's world. That being said, I totally agree with you on how to bring 44 back.

Paid his price? Go look at the list of things he's accused of. He was 'acquited' on a few and on many others the witness suddenly refused to cooperate i.e. intimidation or paid them off. It didn't affect his career, didn't affect his movie roles, etc. Would you give Ray Rice the same pass if he suddenly did some volunteer work and admitted he was wrong for knocking her out? Brown threw a woman out a window. You are minimizing what he really did. He wouldn't even have a career in today's world. That being said, I totally agree with you on how to bring 44 back.
Why don't you leave it alone, we have had your opinion enough, go away.

There are a number of people's opinions that matter on the topic. That's the point. The main counter argument to bringing it back was Jim Brown wasn't in favor of it - as if that's the be all and end all opinion - and not wanting to put undue pressure on Sean Tucker and allowing him to create his own legacy.

Which based on Sean Tucker's reaction to the discussion - we can put the second half of that to bed officially now.

Well if we have a prominent RB at the college level drafted and wear the number in the league, I'm sure that will do nothing to help with recruiting, or relevance, etc, etc. You make it relevant by using it. Not by hanging it and letting it decay. Ernie and Floyd are gone. Jim Brown won't be around forever. It's time.

I feel like Little may have a better perspective for the number than Brown. For Brown, when he wore it there was no legacy yet. He was the beginning. Floyd came into the program knowing he was following two greats and wanting to live up to what they had established. He understood the meaning of the number.

I feel like Little may have a better perspective for the number than Brown. For Brown, when he wore it there was no legacy yet. He was the beginning. Floyd came into the program knowing he was following two greats and wanting to live up to what they had established. He understood the meaning of the number.
As a lifetime fan since 1955 I was only 9, but listened on the radio. Gross never should have been allowed to retire the number. I said before and again, bring the number down for Clemson, have a halftime ceremony, put 3 jerseys up in the rafters 44, honoring Brown, Davis, and Little.
Bring back Brown, Davis family, and Floyd's wife. Honor the three greats the right way, not like the flim flan man did.

You offer it to him after Liberty if we win and he has 100+ yards.

Tucker’s already becoming a national name. Its a no brainer to get fans back to the dome whether we’re 3-2 going into Wake or 4-1.

Give the fans some tangible hope and pride again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom