So I'm confused... Are we still worried about HCDB bailing next year | Syracusefan.com

So I'm confused... Are we still worried about HCDB bailing next year

OrangeFoo

All American
or are we going to fire him ourselves next year?

I've never seen such a bipolar fan base. HCDB inherited a disaster on D and 3/4th of one on offense. How many times last year did we talk about how our receivers were too slow to break press coverage and our oline was poor and how our recruiting sucked. Yet in one offseason we transformed a terrible offense to one which will score against anyone in the country. Yet people still are complaining about HCDB after 2 freaking games. Give me a break.

It will be a year that will challenge the fanbase...FSU, Clemson and Louisville are, I think, Top 10 teams...Notre Dame is probably Top 15 (loss to a Top 12 team in Texas)...Va Tech looks really strong, Pittsburgh is better than us, etc etc

If there was ever a year just to enjoy the ride, this is it. I am choosing to do so...were there embarrassing moments last night? Absolutely...then I remembered, it's not my life that's being embarrassed...and I watch other teams (as I write this some RB for VA TECH just outran the entire Tenn team for a long TD...we're just not in the universe) and realize we don't have the talent to compete right now.

Our fast guys are not big and strong...our big and strong guys don't seem to be that fast...other teams have guys that bring it all. I'm not bashing our guys, I'm saying I'm in their corner against what they'll face this year and I'm going to have fun watching the team change and hopefully they provide more moments (maybe even an upset?) that make it worthwhile. One thing I know, the fans are not doing their part, based on what I saw last night.

So at most we have a 6-6 season, worst we're 1-11...we'll probably be somewhere in between. I choose to enjoy the ride, and hopefully the transformation.

It will be a year that will challenge the fanbase...FSU, Clemson and Louisville are, I think, Top 10 teams...Notre Dame is probably Top 15 (loss to a Top 12 team in Texas)...Va Tech looks really strong, Pittsburgh is better than us, etc etc

If there was ever a year just to enjoy the ride, this is it. I am choosing to do so...were there embarrassing moments last night? Absolutely...then I remembered, it's not my life that's being embarrassed...and I watch other teams (as I write this some RB for VA TECH just outran the entire Tenn team for a long TD...we're just not in the universe) and realize we don't have the talent to compete right now.

Our fast guys are not big and strong...our big and strong guys don't seem to be that fast...other teams have guys that bring it all. I'm not bashing our guys, I'm saying I'm in their corner against what they'll face this year and I'm going to have fun watching the team change and hopefully they provide more moments (maybe even an upset?) that make it worthwhile. One thing I know, the fans are not doing their part, based on what I saw last night.

So at most we have a 6-6 season, worst we're 1-11...we'll probably be somewhere in between. I choose to enjoy the ride, and hopefully the transformation.
Bingo enjoy what you can and trust that Babers will recruit the players needed to be successful

People around here overreact, he was Vince Lombardi a week ago, now hes Grob, just be patient, good things are coming in time.

People around here overreact, he was Vince Lombardi a week ago, now hes Grob, just be patient, good things are coming in time.
I don't think any reaction is over-the-top when a team racks up 800+ yards. If anything I'm seeing plenty of posts calling for patience and tempered expectations. The scary part for me is that this is probably what the board felt like in 2005 (trying to reassure ourselves that the train wreck was necessary before things got better). I just hope we're not looking back on this in 3 years and saying that we saw the red flags early and just couldn't face up to it.

I don't think any reaction is over-the-top when a team racks up 800+ yards. If anything I'm seeing plenty of posts calling for patience and tempered expectations. The scary part for me is that this is probably what the board felt like in 2005 (trying to reassure ourselves that the train wreck was necessary before things got better). I just hope we're not looking back on this in 3 years and saying that we saw the red flags early and just couldn't face up to it.
The reason that this is nothing like 2005 is that this coach is proven and the system is proven to work at this level at other schools.

I am sure Baylor fans were saying the same thing the first year they had Briles and maybe even the second.

The reason that this is nothing like 2005 is that this coach is proven and the system is proven to work at this level at other schools.

I am sure Baylor fans were saying the same thing the first year they had Briles and maybe even the second.

This is the first attempt at running a T2 defense at the P5 level. So, in a way, its unproven. Hope i am wrong, but this defensive philosophy scares me.

we need traditional big strong ol and dl who can block and pressure qbs. together with fast lbs and secondary ---more of a traditional team. d -scheme needs to be modified for use by current talent level

Ish88888 said:
This is the first attempt at running a T2 defense at the P5 level. So, in a way, its unproven. Hope i am wrong, but this defensive philosophy scares me.

Chizik runs a lot of his base stuff from studying the Tampa 2. Lovie is at Illinois running a version. VaTech has run sets that employ it to great effect for years.

Every fan base is the same. You have logical people that know we just need to see progress on offense for another season, and you have the people that probably sell their whole house and move out of town when they burn a piece of toast.

I'm happy we did move on LV,the rest wasn't pretty.(the light in the dark) Its the the last part of the season i'm waiting on now, when this team feels better in thier new skin.(so to speak)

If this doesn't work in 3 years it means that we might as well turn off the lights to the dome for falls moving forward because if Babers can't fix this I don't know who can. My only concern with Babers is he won't be able to get the players he needs to come here so he'll leave. It's absolutely critical that he can get DeVito to sign.

In 2005 we were coming off an era where we had been bowling more often than not and ranked more often than not. Right now we are coming off 15 years of ineptitude... Babers will need several years plus the dome rebuild to turn this thing around. To reiterate what other folks smarter than me are saying... If you can't see that this is different this time I don't know what to tell you. We have national sports writers praising the Babers hire in non-sequitors (is that how you use that word? I've always wanted to use that word in a sentence)... During the game the announcers had nothing but praise for Babers and were talking about how the ACC had better watch out for Syracuse. Typically they are laughing at us so this was a nice change.

Yes, there are going to be some epic blowouts this year... When you play fast you are going to risk losing fast. Especially with our defensive talent.

What we need is PERSPECTIVE;

Art Briles first 3 years at Baylor, and their margin of defeats;

2008 Baylor 4–8 2–6 (28, 3, 35, 28, 12, 3, 14, 7)
2009 Baylor 4–8 1–7 (8, 24, 14, 28, 10, 34, 35, 7)
2010 Baylor 7–6 4–4 (35, 7, 27, 12, 29, 24)

Art had some clunkers in their as you can see. We lost by 34 vs the cards. With this fast pace offense we arent going to win TOP, and we're going to have a lot of 3 and outs, so when we get beat, it will be be bad, like Friday.

Perspective folks, perspective.

Dino's first year at BG, gave up 59 to WKU in his first game. Gave up 42 to Indiana game 3, gave up 68 to Wisconsin, 42 to UMass, 35 to UB, 41 to Ball State, 51 to Northern Illinois.

Dino's first year at Eastern Illinois gave up 52 to Westwen Michigan, 54 to Illinois state, 49 to Murray State, 51 to UT Martin, 48 to Central Arkansas, and 58 to SDSU

Nobody panic. We are right where most reasonably intelligent prognosticators thought we'd be. Granted giving up 62 to the Ville is shocking, but we pretty much expected a team that would score some points, but also give up a ton of points. The defense will take a lot longer to improve than the offense. That's why Dino asked for patience.

cuse309 said:
Dino's first year at BG, gave up 59 to WKU in his first game. Gave up 42 to Indiana game 3, gave up 68 to Wisconsin, 42 to UMass, 35 to UB, 41 to Ball State, 51 to Northern Illinois. Dino's first year at Eastern Illinois gave up 52 to Westwen Michigan, 54 to Illinois state, 49 to Murray State, 51 to UT Martin, 48 to Central Arkansas, and 58 to SDSU Nobody panic. We are right where most reasonably intelligent prognosticators thought we'd be. Granted giving up 62 to the Ville is shocking, but we pretty much expected a team that would score some points, but also give up a ton of points. The defense will take a lot longer to improve than the offense. That's why Dino asked for patience.

Dino also changed defensive coordinators after the first season at BG.

But to your point, he needs to recruit his own players for D. So yes, patience will be needed.

Unless every team on our schedule has a Lamar Jackson clone, I still feel optimistic about our season.

We may not make a bowl, but at least we will put out an exciting product while laying a foundation that we can grow on in the upcoming years.

Unless every team on our schedule has a Lamar Jackson clone, I still feel optimistic about our season.

We may not make a bowl, but at least we will put out an exciting product while laying a foundation that we can grow on in the upcoming years.
I don't want to say it's a disaster if we don't make it to a bowl, but... our program could really benefit from those extra practices. Especially the way this staff practices.

I haven't seen one post saying Babers should be fired. What are you talking about?

What i worry about more is dino, after a year, realizing this job is more of an uphill battle that first anticipated. Thats why i really worry about pathetic attendance. No excuse for <40k this past friday. We got 40k+ for big friday games against wvu and the ville in Doug's tenure. Again, word is, baylor might be coming hard next year.

What i worry about more is dino, after a year, realizing this job is more of an uphill battle that first anticipated. Thats why i really worry about pathetic attendance. No excuse for <40k this past friday. We got 40k+ for big friday games against wvu and the ville in Doug's tenure. Again, word is, baylor might be coming hard next year.

Yes, that's my concern. If he comes to the conclusion that he can't win consistently here, he could be gone with the first 6-6 season. Of course that will only further deflate whatever fan and administrative support there is for football for the next coach.

Yes, that's my concern. If he comes to the conclusion that he can't win consistently here, he could be gone with the first 6-6 season. Of course that will only further deflate whatever fan and administrative support there is for football for the next coach.

Yes, Amen! Totally true and let's pray this scenario doesn't happen:)

The more Briles talks the less I would think that school would want anything to do with his tree.

Here has FSU and Clemson, there he'll have Texas and OU and a less stable conference. (nice to finally have that one on our side)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom