So Indiana may want Allen Griffin as an assistant coach | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

So Indiana may want Allen Griffin as an assistant coach

Hope you are right but I would not bet the ranch on it. I am in the unusual situation of having attended both schools and lived in both cities. The Pacific NW has a lot to offer.

Hope you are right but I would not bet the ranch on it. I am in the unusual situation of having attended both schools and lived in both cities. The Pacific NW has a lot to offer.
Washington can be the 3rd best job in the PAC-12 and you can win there but it’s not a better job than Syracuse.

The idea he wouldn’t go from Washington to Syracuse is wrong.
Roy Williams left Kansas for his alma mater in North Carolina.
At the end of the day Syracuse is his alma mater and if his alma mater came calling he would likely strongly listen.

There is a reason a special Syracuse buyout provision is part of his contract.

Our next HC will be Hop. Gmac and Griff will stay on staff and Red will leave to take a HC job at a lower D1. Hop will then bring in a big man coach.

Our next HC will be Hop. Gmac and Griff will stay on staff and Red will leave to take a HC job at a lower D1. Hop will then bring in a big man coach.
Washington can be the 3rd best job in the PAC-12 and you can win there but it’s not a better job than Syracuse.

At the end of the day Syracuse is his alma mater and if his alma mater came calling he would likely strongly listen.

Hop is married. If you have not lived in the Pacific NW you do not know how desirable it is. Any move has family considerations. Another fact to consider is that UW can easily outbid Syracuse for salary. Chris Petersen gets 5 million. Syracuse fans glory in our history, but our recent history is that of a bubble team, nothing special in our league. If our history is so relevant why do we lose so many recruiting battles? Could he return - I can't predict but the odds are against it. Things seem to be about to change for the better. Time will tell.

Hop is married. If you have not lived in the Pacific NW you do not know how desirable it is. Any move has family considerations. Another fact to consider is that UW can easily outbid Syracuse for salary. Chris Petersen gets 5 million. Syracuse fans glory in our history, but our recent history is that of a bubble team, nothing special in our league. If our history is so relevant why do we lose so many recruiting battles? Could he return - I can't predict but the odds are against it. Things seem to be about to change for the better. Time will tell.

Yes, hop is married. And his wife’s family is here. So that could play a role.

you really are just speculating, which i suppose is fine for an internet fan board.

You are speculating. Others are posting what’s been told to them from people around the program. Oh, and maybe you should start paying attention to recent recruiting wins.

Last edited:

If we don't seek and hire a coach as the result of a national search, this would be the best possible outcome. But Hop's east coast connections will only last for so long.

UNC is a top 2 job. Your analogy to Syracuse is horrible. It just is.

North Carolina in 2003 was a mess. Roy left a top 3 job in the nation for a rebuild.

Why did he do it? Because North Carolina was his Alma mater and home.
It’s still north Carolina. First or second best job in the country, by far. Kansas isn’t ever going to crack UNC and Kentucky at the top.

No, it’s not. Zero national champs while Roy was there. It’s just not.
Roy got to Final Four in 1991, 1993, 2002, 2003.
Lost in the Elite 8 in 1996.

You underrate the Kansas job. It’s on par with North Carolina.
Just because Roy didn’t win a title doesn’t mean it wasn’t an elite top 3 job.

He never missed the tournament.
Duke missed the tournament in 1995.
North Carolina missed the tournament in 2002 and 2003.

Kansas underachieves in the tournament but the top 3 jobs are Kentucky, Kansas, North Carolina.

Roy turned North Carolina down in 2000 when they hired Matt Dougherty.

Kansas is as good a job if not better.
Agree that UNC and Kentucky are the two best CBB jobs in the country. Kansas is right behind them at 3 or 4. But all of that is irrelevant because Syracuse is a much better job than Washington, especially for an alum like Hop.

Well, they get really elite players every year, they put them in the pros in large number, they have outstanding fan support, they have the budget of a big state university and they always win their conference.

Other than that, sure, Kansas is a crap job.

From your lips to God’s ears.

So, when you consider SU's recruiting proximity to Boston, NYC, Philly, Baltimore, DC, Canada, NE Prep Schools ... the Dome/Melo Center ... the ACC ... the heritage that comes with 50 straight winning seasons ... the fanbase/"basketball school" reputation ... current clean slate with the NCAA (sorry UL & KU) ... the AD/Chancellor, ... how many jobs are better?
Didn't see $$$$ mentioned in your list

Are you sure about that, or is that rumor.

i agree Mike is the next HC. I suspect Gmac leaves though. I've heard BC rumblings. Christian is dead man walking there and was saved due to COVID. I know they were interested in Hopkins

I don’t know how many times I have to say this - Hop will be the first call. It will be his job if he wants. I don’t know why there is more chatter about coaches and everything like that. I’m telling you that’s the deal. You guys want Info, take it.

AS FAR AS GRIFF GOES, this guy has unreal loyalty. The offer he turned down was astronomical and those are the things the fan base need to realize how lucky we are to have the guys we have that they don’t choose to jump BC of money.

Didn't see $$$$ mentioned in your list
Definitely a bit of an unknown with JAB having "always" drawn a less-than-market rate, hometown discount.

Honestly, I could see it go both ways in the future. But it will almost assuredly never be a job that includes a sub-standard salary for a HC's given pedigree/level of accomplishment. The salary will be dramatically different depending if Bill Donovan (I'm kidding!), Hop or Red get the gig.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom