So Indiana may want Allen Griffin as an assistant coach | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

So Indiana may want Allen Griffin as an assistant coach

Is it official?

I was obsessed with Allen Griffen as a kid huge fan. Wouldn’t have blamed him if he took top job there.

Griffen Laz and Otis were my mid 90s favorite players I LOVED them.

Red goes Siena next year goes 14-17 and our fanbase will want him hired?

No chance he is going anywhere before JB retires.
He is likely the top internal candidate.

Unless he knows he isn’t getting the job he should stay until JB retires.

That should keep him here another 10-15 years.

If Hopkins makes deep runs at the dance there is no reason for him to leave. If he flames out on the dance floor we will not make him our number one priority. Therefore, Hopkins is not going to be our next coach.

Shut up we’re a Ferrari and if he gets the keys he gets the keys.

We’re closer to Duke or Kentucky than idiots like you think. Washington isn’t.

Every meaningful game we play has 30k+ in the stands and 10000 more people than the biggest NBA gate. Your being stupid.

If Hopkins makes deep runs at the dance there is no reason for him to leave. If he flames out on the dance floor we will not make him our number one priority. Therefore, Hopkins is not going to be our next coach.

Romar made runs with Brockman and got dumped for Hop.

That city doesn’t care about hoops they let their team leave for OKC.

It’s not a good sports city. I spent a night on the street there before 2011 Stanley cup finals game 7 in Vancouver no one knew there was a hockey game across the border. I talked to mad people before my 6am train. Got kicked out of a Starbucks for sleeping

Actually Columbus, Ohio is one of the fastest growing cities in the country and definitely has more jobs and such than upstate NY:

While I miss home of Upstate New York I dont miss the snow and the stupid high taxes. I support the Orange while living 11 hours away and will continue to do so, however New York is suffering from flocks of young and old leaving and Im not sure what will change that trend.

You may want to check that. Wasn’t the case before the pandemic. Good riddance. Still why are we comparing Columbus to Syracuse. Columbus is a totally different area.

Last edited:
If the bottom falls out money on Hop (assuming he does much better than last year). If we're consistent if JB ever retires money on Red.

Shut up we’re a Ferrari and if he gets the keys he gets the keys.

We’re closer to Duke or Kentucky than idiots like you think. Washington isn’t.

Every meaningful game we play has 30k+ in the stands and 10000 more people than the biggest NBA gate. Your being stupid.
If UW is a Volkswagen and we are a Ferrari, why did Hopkins trade down? If he wins in Seattle the crowds will follow as they did when Seattle took an NBA title. I used to live in Seattle and know it a lot better than your one nighter. The franchise was greedy and wanted the City to foot the entire bill for a new arena. The new team owner kept it a secret that he planned to move the team.

If UW is a Volkswagen and we are a Ferrari, why did Hopkins trade down? If he wins in Seattle the crowds will follow as they did when Seattle took an NBA title. I used to live in Seattle and know it a lot better than your one nighter. The franchise was greedy and wanted the City to foot the entire bill for a new arena. The new team owner kept it a secret that he planned to move the team.

Family and JB still hasn’t retired! Do people forget that? JB stuck around longer than expected to coach his kid.

Why did Hop trade down?
Maybe because he didn’t want to push his mentor out the door when he wanted to coach his son in college and Hop knew the fanbase wasn’t going to patientwith him on the job and he would have inherited a mess of a roster.

So he had his agent find him a spot he would love to coach at and be around his parents
Washington BB is not a better job than Syracuse BB.

Roy Williams turned down UNC in 2000. He didn’t turn them down in 2003.

Hopkins could easily be drawn to this job when it opens up. He may decline it again but Washington isn’t one of the top 20 jobs in college hoops.

A good coach can win at UW. They can recruit the West coast. For example, their football team is about equivalent to us in Basketball. There is talent in CA and Seattle can look pretty attractive to a kid from the streets of LA or the Phoenix desert. If a team wins fans will come, even in Seattle. Try getting a ticket to a UW football game or the Seahawks. On the other hand, there will be a great deal of pressure for any new coach at Syracuse. Very unlikely that Hopkins will return to Syracuse. UW can probably match Syracuse coaches salary.

no reason?
And what if hop doesnt make deep runs but gets them to the tourney consistently.
i get your overall point but easily defeated.
Btw-you arent mike hopkins.

Question for those who know. I thought I heard one major reason for Hop moving was to be close to his father who at the time was not well. Is that accurate?

Correct.

Thanks man, I thought that was the case. That is the kind of man Hop is. Let him enjoy his family out in Washington. We should look elsewhere unless things change for him but here is to hoping things don't change for a long time. Best of health and luck to him and his family.

no reason?
And what if hop doesnt make deep runs but gets them to the tourney consistently.
i get your overall point but easily defeated.
Btw-you arent mike hopkins.
He has proven that he can recruit at UW. If he under-performs he is less attractive to us. If he outperforms there is little reason for him to depart. That ship has sailed.

He has proven that he can recruit at UW. If he under-performs he is less attractive to us. If he outperforms there is little reason for him to depart other than to coach at an elite/near elite school, like his alma mater and long time employer. That ship has sailed unless Syracuse wants him, which is very possible and potentially likely.
I fixed what you wrote.

Syracuse >>>>>>>>>> Washington in basketball, regadless of what SU/UDub does for the next 10-15 years. Syracuse has a better name, facilities, location, fan following, history, and so on. UW is just a strongish program in a really great city.
Syracuse has an argument to be a top 5 program. After Kansas, Duke, UNC, and Kentucky, it's hard to argue that any school tangibly better than SU.*

*Other schools, such as UCLA, Villanova, Louisville, Indiana, etc. have arguments, too, but Washington isn't one of them.

Here are the IU base salaries for fiscal year 2019 fwiw

Basketball
Archie Miller, head coach: $550,000
Associate head coach Tom Ostrom: $316,575
Assistant coach Bruiser Flint: $301,500
Assistant coach: Ed Schilling: $301,500
300k? What am I doing with my life

He has proven that he can recruit at UW. If he under-performs he is less attractive to us. If he outperforms there is little reason for him to depart. That ship has sailed.

might not happen but the ship hasnt sailed.
also, recruiting has slowed down for mike.

Alaska to Tuscon quite the climate jump.
Tucson is not as extreme as Phoenix, where my fiance lives, and the house we are buying is at significant altitude. Phoenix is having a summer long drought and deadly heat wave; over 110 every day. Not fit for man or beast. We are keeping the Juneau house and boat. Unfortunately, Corona has been going strong both in AZ and now in AK. Juneau has lots of seasonal fish processing workers and miners that come from all-over the lower 48 to work in shifts while housing in dormitories. They are now having outbreaks. If I was the AZ HS player that we are recruiting Syracuse would seem pretty attractive compared to the desert.

Pro sports towns don’t care about college sports like at all. Seattle included.
Even though the Seahawks are a sell-out, so are UW football games. Winning brings fans. The reverse is also true. If our team collapses less fans will show up. Pro towns are large enough to also support college teams but they must be winners. Losers like Rutgers and Boston College would have poor attendance regardless of location.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom