so is Buffalo good? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

so is Buffalo good?

Once we adjusted and let Kadary do his thing, in addition to going inside pretty much every posession I think it threw them out of whack. The tough shots kept them alive/with a cushion for just long enough. Mballa hit 3 fouls pretty quickly then got his 4th too with quite a bit of time left. That hurt them a lot. Outside of Mball, their bigs were pretty much useless. The skinnier kid got beat up inside and their biggest guy was getting beat a lot.

Agreed. I thought that their size neutralized ours some in the first half. In the second, it became obvious our length bothered them. It also became clear that we should be looking to drive the ball much more (with the ball in certain players' hands), with a heavy emphasis on hitting the offensive boards, to generate our half-court offense moving forward. The threes will come from the inside-out offense or from offensive rebounds. To be fair, we hit some difficult midrange shots of our own tonight that, frankly, may not be optimal moving forward.

Agreed. I thought that their size neutralized ours some in the first half. In the second, it became obvious our length bothered them. It also became clear that we should be looking to drive the ball much more (with the ball in certain players' hands), with a heavy emphasis on hitting the offensive boards, to generate our half-court offense moving forward. The threes will come from the inside-out offense or from offensive rebounds. To be fair, we hit some difficult midrange shots of our own tonight that, frankly, may not be optimal moving forward.

Agreed. Buddy's ,mid range jumpers are part of his game so those are a bit higher percentage. Kadary showed he could hit them at Brewster and got a couple to fall. With that said, Kadary showed a confidence in his ability to manipulate the defense that hasn't been evident up to this point. He has had good numbers and showed out vs RU but tonight, in a tough game he owned the pt position and probed the D. It is a good sign for the future for him to be more aggressive by his own volition and comfort and to then find the shooters as part of that. His understanding of the college game has grown leaps just in 6 games.

We have the players to be an inside out team especially when Sid returns. Quincy's play is going to reap benefits for the shooters as the season progresses too. Tonight we shot 19 threes when we should have shot maybe 10 at most.

It looked like a Buffalo player shoulder bumped Kadary and then Griffin got involved. The camera was off him for that though, but you could see Jim yelling to him at that point.

Noticed both Kadary and Griffin yapping with Buffalo players at times. Mostly Griffin. He screamed at their player after one late inside hoop. Loved it all too.

could read Jim’s lips on the very last defensive possesion. Don’t remember it word for word now but something like “No defense. Let them do what they want. Nothing.” He was definitely making sure to avoid any last second BS that could cost us for next game, because some of Buffalo’s players were not handling that L well.

you know wut happens when u mess wit da "box cutter" don't u

Last edited:
Williams is legit, Mballa had a big game but hasn't done much else this year. They're not as balanced on offense as they were two years ago but they still have a decent shot to win their conference.

Buffalo is good. Their coach didnt adjust to the press and kept a smaller line-up in after we went back to the zone. JB took him to the woodshed.?

So we were down 16 at one point to a team that lost to army but our coach took theirs to the wood shed .. as if telling the team to press down 16 was some obscure genius strategy ..

For reference on the MAC. Illinois 77- Ohio 75 back on 11/27. Ohio projected to finish below UB in the MAC this year.

So we were down 16 at one point to a team that lost to army but our coach took theirs to the wood shed .. as if telling the team to press down 16 was some obscure genius strategy ..
If you understood basketball you would realize that it was much more than the press.

Also we won despite shooting 16% from three. That’s a game most teams lose.

but losing to Army and Bowling Green?
Mballa was out for both games. Army is 4-1 and Buffalo lost by 4 on a neutral court. BGSU is 5-2 and Buffalo lost by 8 on the road. Buffalo looks solid to me.

Buffalo has established itself as a high mid-major. Those are the category of teams that don't need to sneak up on major teams to beat them, they have the players and the history and coaching and can beat those "power" teams. Bryant and Northeastern are small conference quality teams that need a "big" team to sleep on them or have an off shooting game to get a win.

Mballa was out for both games. Army is 4-1 and Buffalo lost by 4 on a neutral court. BGSU is 5-2 and Buffalo lost by 8 on the road. Buffalo looks solid to me.

Also Bowling Green is the predicted MAC Champ this year and they barely lost to them without Mballa.

Their best player was hurt and has been on a minutes restriction.

Mballa missed 3 games including their losses to BG and Army.

He is a stud from Texas Tech. Wish we got him.
Can we stop with the revisionism here of Mballa, he played cleanup in 17 games with TT, high of 3 points. He was a low 3 star in HS. Rated 82. You guys get pissed when we go for a top 100 guy. No one expected him to be some stuf

Absolutely. Not even debatable, in my not so humble opinion.

Everyone ranked 10-50 is about the same and we are in that group.
with an incomplete roster, maybe. but this team has a lot of potential especially when whole

still gelling...not so sure their ceiling isnt higher than you think.

Can we stop with the revisionism here of Mballa, he played cleanup in 17 games with TT, high of 3 points. He was a low 3 star in HS. Rated 82. You guys get pissed when we go for a top 100 guy. No one expected him to be some stuf
???
We need bigs like Mballa.
We haven’t recruited a big like Mballa since Rak.

Just because they are a 3 Star mean nothings I have been preaching before you started posting we need Rick Jackson type bigs.
Mballa is a Rick Jackson type of big.
Marek is not a C.
Sidibe has developed.
Chukwu had no offensive game.

We get very little offense from our C.

I don’t get your point what other C top 100 recruit have gotten since Sidibe 4 years ago?

I know Wes Johnson was before your time but he was a 2 star out of high school that came here as a transfer from Iowa St. He was the player of the year in the old Big East the one year he played for Syracuse. Some guys get a lot better as they age.

???

Just because they are a 3 Star mean nothings I have been preaching before you started posting we need Rick Jackson type bigs.
Marek is not a C.
Sidibe has developed.

I don’t get your point what other C top 100 recruit have gotten since Sidibe 4 years ago?

Mballa is a slightly beefier version of Quincy. He is not a Rick Jackson type of center. He is only 6-7. Think of us putting Quincy at the 5 plus 10 lbs and you have Mballa. Difference also is that Quincy can do more Mballa is post only.

???

Marek is not a C.
Sidibe has developed.

Both Sidibe and JBA were the same weight coming out of HS as Mballa was according to 247. And Mballa was shorter then both. His only offers were TT and Umass. And he commited on the spot in July so it was a late offer. He was the 79th Power forward ranking wise out of the 86 they graded

Mballa is a slightly beefier version of Quincy. He is not a Rick Jackson type of center. He is only 6-7. Think of us putting Quincy at the 5 plus 10 lbs and you have Mballa. Difference also is that Quincy can do more Mballa is post only.
Mballa type bigs are the type we should be recruiting for depth over projects. He is going to be a 4 year guy.
I don’t blame the staff for missing him specifically but types of players like him have been missing from our program in the front court.

Our front court players who aren’t wings haven’t been giving us much offense.
The wing types have.
Quincy is probably the first in a while. Marek has been decent as well but he is more of a facilitator but specific games will take over.
Quincy plays like a modern Hak. It’s doubtful we will get 4 years of him like we did Hak if he stayed thru all his eligibility I think he could be an all-American like Hak was.

Mballa types should be in our recruiting classes and develop into rotation guys.

We need Rick Jackson type of bigs every couple of years.

We are taking too many projects in the middle.

Both Sidibe and JBA were the same weight coming out of HS as Mballa was according to 247. And Mballa was shorter then both. His only offers were TT and Umass. And he commited on the spot in July so it was a late offer. He was the 79th Power forward ranking wise out of the 86 they graded
Do you think JBA will ever have a game for SU like Mballa had against us yesterday?
I don’t.
I just hope JBA can develop into Keita.

If he becomes half of Keita then that is a win in my books.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom