so is Buffalo good? | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

so is Buffalo good?

I also think the zone is not what it used to be. Every kid growing up these days focuses on shooting 3s more than they shoot any other shot. And lots of kids can hit them (except for ours on certain days oddly enough). And there is enough tape out there for teams unaccustomed to playing us to figure out how to successfully beat ours.

We've been lucky pulling a couple games out this year against less talented teams. Teams we would have beat going away in years past. Something needs a refresh. Feels like our recruiting at least has turned for the better, again, except for centers.

Well we lost these games the past couple seasons. See the Bonnies, Buffalo, Old Dominion...I’m missing a few others...

Anselem will be good down the road. He’s a 4 star prospect.

I also think the zone is not what it used to be. Every kid growing up these days focuses on shooting 3s more than they shoot any other shot. And lots of kids can hit them (except for ours on certain days oddly enough). And there is enough tape out there for teams unaccustomed to playing us to figure out how to successfully beat ours.

We've been lucky pulling a couple games out this year against less talented teams. Teams we would have beat going away in years past. Something needs a refresh. Feels like our recruiting at least has turned for the better, again, except for centers.
Except 2021 and 2022 guards thus far.
Griffin is the 4th guard.
We could actually use a project guard recruit maybe that is Chaz Owens.

Well we lost these games the past couple seasons. See the Bonnies, Buffalo, Old Dominion...I’m missing a few others...

Anselem will be good down the road. He’s a 4 star prospect.

Hopefully next year he’ll at least be adequate. We are shaping up to be REALLY good at the 1-4 spots next year. Thinking things will be projecting that we could be adequate center play away from being a top team.

Slide AG up top and play Woody at the 3.

I don’t want to say why because I don’t want to talk about that subject as it is pointless.

I want our best players being fed the ball more Quincy and Marek and taking more shots.

I’m with you on Quincy, but not Marek. He’s not a guy that we should just be letting go one on one. Not his mindset. Look what happened on that last play. I hated the entire sequence from calling timeout to deciding that was the final play.

Hopefully next year he’ll at least be adequate. We are shaping up to be REALLY good at the 1-4 spots next year. Thinking things will be projecting that we could be adequate center play away from being a top team.
You think Marek Dolezaj, Quincy Guerrier and Alan Griffin will all return?

I expect we will lose atleast one.
Now I do think our recruit Williams looks really solid. So we can slide Williams in and Newton will be ready as well.

I wish we had more guard depth.

Now I do think our recruit Williams looks really solid. So we can slide Williams in and Newton will be ready as well.

No. Maybe. And maybe.

Id expect a guy who has played his full 4 years to move on.

Q doesn’t seem to be too much on the NBA’s radar at this point, despite being off to an amazing start. I think as his perimeter skills improve, he could move up. Those Putback hoops probably won’t translate real well.

Seems Griff is trying to blow up and go pro. Why else would he have left Illinois - where he had a solid role? Seems he wanted a bigger role. I’m thinking he’ll test the waters. We’ll see how that works out. Honestly have no idea based on his play so far. He’s been amazing and terrible, sometimes in the same game.

“Worst case scenario”, I think we’d still be in really good shape with Benny and Woody at forward too. But having a PG like Kadary is what has me most excited. He’ll be the foundation IMO.

Isnt Marek a senior? He will hopefully be balling in Europe next year.

Where is Griffin going? He’s either an under sized 3 or a 2 with average athleticism, a good handle and very inconsistent shot. Not getting drafted... at least this year.

Quincy is interesting... I don’t think he has enough game yet to make up for his average athleticism. If he can prove he can impact games like this against ACC talent he could go.

I find this thread funny, I was getting ripped in the game thread for suggesting that UB was good and had the parts of another tournament team

I find it funny that anything posted in a game thread isn't taken with a grain of salt, considering how highly emotional they are. And, since it's my understanding that one can claim insanity as a legitimate defense and get away with it. ;)

Where is Griffin going? He’s either an under sized 3 or a 2 with average athleticism, a good handle and very inconsistent shot. Not getting drafted... at least this year.

Quincy is interesting... I don’t think he has enough game yet to make up for his average athleticism. If he can prove he can impact games like this against ACC talent he could go.
All players get a free year this year.
So Marek and Sidibe can return next year.

I disagree on your assessment of Griff...I see a very athletic guy with limited handle, with a good shot but poor shot selection.

“3 and D” guys who can guard multiple positions on the perimeter are all the rage right now, and I think he has the basic tools to be on their radar. Just needs to refine some things and play with more consistency and focus.

I disagree on your assessment of Griff...I see a very athletic guy with limited handle, with a good shot but poor shot selection.

“3 and D” guys who can guard multiple positions on the perimeter are all the rage right now, and I think he has the basic tools to be on their radar. Just needs to refine some things and play with more consistency and focus.

Yeah, I'm not sure how many guys with just average athleticism would've made that remarkable block at regulation's end, which ultimately saved us from taking the loss.

Except 2021 and 2022 guards thus far.
Griffin is the 4th guard.
We could actually use a project guard recruit maybe that is Chaz Owens.

Yea hes basically a walkon. Not the savior youre hoping for.

What we need it a guy in the middle like mbala and one guy up top who is longer and the other w quicker feet. We have kadary but that solves only half the problem. We used to not let the ball get in the high post. This defense is a sieve.

good enough to give syracuse all it could handle 3 years in a row
what more do you want?

Yea hes basically a walkon. Not the savior youre hoping for.

What we need it a guy in the middle like mbala and one guy up top who is longer and the other w quicker feet. We have kadary but that solves only half the problem. We used to not let the ball get in the high post. This defense is a sieve.
So why don’t we have an actual 4th guard on this roster with 13 scholarships available and have to play Griffin there if we want to have a 4th guard?

That is the job of the coaching staff.

agreed. We have a clear top 7 with Sidibe, with Woody being the capable 8th.

And that’s what it should be. There’s still a few bellyaching over Bras. Lol.

My issue is that within that 7.5, the best guard needs to be playing the most.
in his presser, at about the 10:30 mark, jb basically says he agrees but that the particular "best guard" may change from game to game, and so will the minutes accordingly

So why don’t we have an actual 4th guard on this roster with 13 scholarships available and have to play Griffin there if we want to have a 4th guard?

That is the job of the coaching staff.

I guess I still don’t really see the issue here? I’d rather have Griffin slide to guard than have a Howard Washington or a Goodine out there anyway.

I guess I still don’t really see the issue here? I’d rather have Griffin slide to guard than have a Howard Washington or a Goodine out there anyway.
8 games into their syracuse careers and griff & woody have both been more effective at guard than either of those guys ever were

edit: and i was a big fan of goodine coming in and howard washington remains inspirational. but it is what it is.

If the shots are falling having a defensive lineup isn’t the worst thing.
We don’t have a 4th guard for defense if the shots aren’t falling.

Everyone ranked 10-50 is about the same and we are in that group.

So you're saying we're the 10th best team in the nation? JB better be selling that on the recruiting trail.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom