So is the bar set too high or too low? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

So is the bar set too high or too low?

Here's what scares me: Nassib's clearly our best option. That's unlikely to change next season. If the offense we have is tailored to Nassib, we're one more year out from seeing that change.
why is that unlikely to change next season?

hunt won't improve?

there are still offenses worse than our's. asking nassib to do more is a good way to join their ranks.

you doofuses cream your jeans over his completion percentage but then get mad that marrone doesn't let him do more than slants and rollout pitches to tight ends

how many qbs get a 3rd year starting after not cracking the top 90 the previous 2 years?

Do I need to win a bet from you again next fall Milly?

Well can you define where the bar is actually set right now? I'm not sure that I can.

Context does matter. SU was 26-55 in the seven years before Marrone took over. Read that again:

26-55

That's just horrrible. So speaking at a macro-level, to be 17-17 under Marrone is, well, a hella lot better than 26-55.

Let's assume that we eek out one more win and get to a bowl. Hell let's assume we lose that bowl game and we finish 6-7. Going into year 4, with Marrone how having his full recruiting classes moving into their junior season, that's the point when I think we should start inching this mythical bar higher. I've long felt that 8 wins is a reasonable bar for SU (once we've pulled ourselves out of the muck of the late P era/GumpRob error). Not that we should be firing coaches for falling below that bar for a season or two. But we've hit that bar so many times in the past that it's not unreasonable to set that as an "expectation".

So yeah, as judged by our expectations from 1988-2004 I'd say the bar may be set low. But I think we're a season away from raising it. I'm fine with that.

What is this post? Why are you posting with logic, statistics, and reason? No place for that here.

44cuse

I told you to leave this alone.

Doesn't matter if Nassib can run his version of the offense. How much worse could it be than what we're seeing now? Just run the damn thing.

You and I both know we're not seeing a new QB next season.

I guess I just don't think things are as horrible as you do. I think Ryan does some nice things - I thought he did some nice things on Saturday.

The problem was that UConn answered back every time we scored and our offense, by its very nature, was subject to error because it required long, sustained drives.

When you do not have the capacit to score on a given play, errors are devastating.

If we beat So. Florida and go bowling, we will be where we need to be at this stage in the development process.

Cheer up. We're going to be fine.

there are still offenses worse than our's. asking nassib to do more is a good way to join their ranks.

you doofuses cream your jeans over his completion percentage but then get mad that marrone doesn't let him do more than slants and rollout pitches to tight ends

how many qbs get a 3rd year starting after not cracking the top 90 the previous 2 years?

Still fixating on one stat.

Out of BCS AQ QB's (66 I believe is the number) playing only BCS AQ opponents

Nassib is: 34th in yds per game, 37th in passing , 21st in Completion %, 23rd in TD's, T 21st in Ints, T 21st TD/Int ratio, T22nd TD % per attempt, T 21st Int%.

For all QB's in all games, 53rd in yds per game, 51st in , 27th in completion %, 26th in TD's, T 40th in Ints, 23rd in TD/Int ratio, 33rd in TD %, 31st in Int %.

Wins, losses and bowl games all count, obviously, but the most important measure is whether there are underclassmen, developing in the program, and looking to be better as juniors and seniors than what we now have. In some units (LB and CB), that could be true. Less certain about several other spots (OL; RB; safeties behind the Thomas kids; DE) and other spots look to be about a wash even on an optimistic case (the QBs behind Nassib, but we don't really know about Broyld or Hunt; TE).
My expectation, year 3, was to be very competitive with the mid-ranks of the Big East, while showing definite improvement in recruiting. Actually, we might have done better in getting competitive, and not so well in recruiting. Sure the recruiting is giving us deeper classes -- just leaving some doubt about adding playmakers or the occasional legit 4 star. I don't worry at all about schemes etc -- even our schemes would like a lot better with Mike Williams & Deleone Carter added to the mix.

Your post and CIL's both pull together a lot of the stuff I've been writing as well. The bar today is not where I would expect it to be next year or after.

And for me to agree with this is proving hell is freezing over.

44cuse

Too low. If you don't expect, you won't get.

Personally, my bar for this season was one more win than last year. I don't see where that is unreasonable.

I like to look at each game as they happen and not look ahead or assume anything is a sure win or loss or whatever. The only team that looked faster and stronger than SU was USC. SU played them ok and if they made some timely plays, no bad penalties and some other actors they were possibilities of winning that game. The Louisville game was the closest to that and SU was closer to winning. The rest were all winnable.

I wanted to be 9-0 and expected that. 5-4 is disappointing to me and as I always do I just look to the next game on Friday and they have to beat usf. I expect SU to win each game they play and I refuse to except anything else because once you expect mediocrity that's what you get.

Too Low. I think it's fair to say that most of us didn't expect to win every game, but geez come on this isn't the SEC, hell it's not even the ACC, its the Big East, not only are we losing games that we shouldn't lose, but we are losing them looking like a bad football team, above all that is the thing that really gets to me.

Too low. If you don't expect, you won't get.

Personally, my bar for this season was one more win than last year. I don't see where that is unreasonable.

So, you're telling me yearly personnel losses have no affect on your expectations for the following year and it should always be one more win then the previous year? Simplistic and unreasonable. Building successful programs is anything but linear. Two steps forward, 1 step back happens all the time, everywhere.

Right on target. The last two weeks have been madening, but we are still in position to fight through it and have a positive year... and if we don't, it will definitely suck, but to think that one man would take us from the dead to top-20 so quickly and without setbacks would just be unreasonable. Many things have gotten better, some still need improving, but in the end we are finally back to getting upset because we lost games we expected to win. Two years ago we were not given the luxury to expect to win ANY games.