So its been a few days, who are some names we are looking at for DC do you think? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

So its been a few days, who are some names we are looking at for DC do you think?

Remember, Tony White wasn’t a coordinator before we tagged him to be one, Let’s see how Nick’s D does in the bowl game, It’s his opportunity to lead!

I’d SU wants to build on the success and momentum of a successful 2022 season, why hand over the keys to somebody brand new to SU, new to the staff, new to the players?
Unless the coaching staff here isn’t ambitious or unless Chip West or Nick Monroe don’t know how to coach, I don’t think it makes sense to bring in somebody new.

not every coach wants to be a head coach or even a oc/dc. Some just want to coach/recruit. They had to have DC for the game and the only real option is someone on the staff.

the other fact is White made it clear they have come calling every year. So DB and JW have to at least discussed a plan for where the might turn. First step in that is to to look within at who might be elevated and first step in that is knowing whether those guys would want to take the chance.

Maybe Monroe likes the slightly less stress of the being the wing man.

not every coach wants to be a head coach or even a oc/dc. Some just want to coach/recruit. They had to have DC for the game and the only real option is someone on the staff.

the other fact is White made it clear they have come calling every year. So DB and JW have to at least discussed a plan for where the might turn. First step in that is to to look within at who might be elevated and first step in that is knowing whether those guys would want to take the chance.

Not everybody wants to be the head man.

I doubt the Minnesota game is more about performance than seeing Swag’s ability to game plan, coordinate and communicate with the entire staff in the practices leading up to the Pinstripe.

All of which I’m sure he’ll do fine. But there’s a lot more to the job than Gameday.

Seems like a smart move to name Monroe interim DC to minimize signing day fallout. I'm not suggesting that is the only reason to make that move, but it makes sense since Monroe is the lead recruiter.

I'm sure DB has a handle on what Monroe is capable of. But, until somebody has to make the actual calls in the heat of the moment, how can you be sure? Again, I'm not suggesting Monroe is or is not up to the job, or if he even wants the job.

I'm sure DB is networking to see who might be available. Due diligence.

There’s also the ability to bring in an older guy familiar with the system to be co-coordinator or some other title. That’s there just to assist and see things Monroe doesn’t at time. Nothing wrong with that at all.

Wommack is only making 700k as a HC. We’d be able to increase his salary easily by a few hundred thousand if we thought he was the guy. The buyout is what I don’t know. Of course, whether he would consider that a lateral move or not, no idea. Our last DC is easily making double what Wommack is making now so you could argue the move would be continuing up the ladder.
Just signed contract extension last week upping to over million dollars and turned down several offers from other programs.

not every coach wants to be a head coach or even a oc/dc.
As a corollary to that, not every assistant has the aptitude to be an OC or head coach. They might be excellent in their current role but don't possess the chops to be successful at the next level, or at least successful without a ton of on-the-job learning. Presumably, Dino knows which, if any, of his staff this applies to. As upperdeck said a few posts later, just like in any office (or company) in America.

Can you clarify the white made it clear they have came calling every year?

Missed this somewhere. Is that alluding to he was pursued for other DC positions every year?

Can you clarify the white made it clear they have came calling every year?

Missed this somewhere. Is that alluding to he was pursued for other DC positions every year?
I'm not upperdeck, but this has been well documented.

"That support from SU was something White emphasized in his exit interview. Though he had two to three serious offers each season to make lateral moves away from Syracuse, he said Wildhack and Babers always did what was necessary to keep him around."

“Mr. Wildhack and Dino, those are the two reasons why I’ve been here for three years,” White said. “Especially Mr. Wildhack. That dude has taken care of me and my family tremendously. I’ve turned down numerous schools from numerous conferences.”

Tony White

When have we ever did the quick hire thing unless its promoted from within the program?

I'm not upperdeck, but this has been well documented.

"That support from SU was something White emphasized in his exit interview. Though he had two to three serious offers each season to make lateral moves away from Syracuse, he said Wildhack and Babers always did what was necessary to keep him around."

“Mr. Wildhack and Dino, those are the two reasons why I’ve been here for three years,” White said. “Especially Mr. Wildhack. That dude has taken care of me and my family tremendously. I’ve turned down numerous schools from numerous conferences.”

Tony White
Thanks for the info. I don’t have access to the article. But good to hear that about Wildhack.

At the time I was caught off guard because of Nebraska. Just seems like a weird fit for him. I know he came to Syracuse to be closer to his mom in NYC. Wouldn’t be surprised if his family wanted to get closer to the west coast but not sure the Big10 is the best fit for his style. Especially at Nebraska were it is a bit harder to get the athletes. This isn’t the Nebraska from the 90’s.

Will wish him the best, he was great for our team.

Seems like a smart move to name Monroe interim DC to minimize signing day fallout. I'm not suggesting that is the only reason to make that move, but it makes sense since Monroe is the lead recruiter.

I'm sure DB has a handle on what Monroe is capable of. But, until somebody has to make the actual calls in the heat of the moment, how can you be sure? Again, I'm not suggesting Monroe is or is not up to the job, or if he even wants the job.

I'm sure DB is networking to see who might be available. Due diligence.
Good points

Thanks for the info. I don’t have access to the article. But good to hear that about Wildhack.

At the time I was caught off guard because of Nebraska. Just seems like a weird fit for him. I know he came to Syracuse to be closer to his mom in NYC. Wouldn’t be surprised if his family wanted to get closer to the west coast but not sure the Big10 is the best fit for his style. Especially at Nebraska were it is a bit harder to get the athletes. This isn’t the Nebraska from the 90’s.

Will wish him the best, he was great for our team.
NP

There are people who post here with really good info, and some with strong personal opinions stated as facts.

From the little I do know, JW has targeted improving coaching salaries for assistants since at least 2018. White is not the only assistant that has been retained following offers from other programs. For all the stuff thrown at Dino, my understanding is that Dino also has skin the game in terms of adding to the salaries of his assistants.

I mean, Dino has to know by now if he can do it or not?

I really really don't want the program to wait until after the bowl game to decide if they need a DC or not.

Go get they guy you want, or knight Swag as DC before signing day.
look at when our assistant coach jobs have been filled, nothing was getting done before signing day anyway

I may be wrong with my facts here but TW was only a DC for 1 year before coming to Syracuse. We don’t necessarily need a lifetime DC to step in. If Swag is a student of the game and understands every position and has been making Secondary calls (presumably he has), then maybe he can do the job.
According to this morning's paper 1 game before coming here.

I have come to really like the 3-3-5, at least TW’s version of it. Of course it makes us vulnerable to the power rush game, but that’s a trade off for more diversity. Like any Defense - or Offense for that matter - it’s about game planning, talent and execution. We’ve seen what TW did with talent that lots of other schools passed on. Let’s see how we can upgrade the talent.

The thing I have like most about TW’s defense is the ability to get younger player on the field early to develop depth. I don’t understand how this system didn’t almost recruit itself. How could you not want to play defense in a system where you knew you had a good chance to get on the field even if there were veterans ahead of you - especially at DL. More than anything I hope we can keep that style of play, but upgrade the recruiting.

even with the power running that hurt us.. Had he offense not fallen off the cliff we still probably get to 9 wins. Pitt and Clemson were there to be had. And Wake was more than winnable as we had 3 tds in the first half that we didnt take advantage of.

I have come to really like the 3-3-5, at least TW’s version of it. Of course it makes us vulnerable to the power rush game, but that’s a trade off for more diversity. Like any Defense - or Offense for that matter - it’s about game planning, talent and execution. We’ve seen what TW did with talent that lots of other schools passed on. Let’s see how we can upgrade the talent.

The thing I have like most about TW’s defense is the ability to get younger player on the field early to develop depth. I don’t understand how this system didn’t almost recruit itself. How could you not want to play defense in a system where you knew you had a good chance to get on the field even if there were veterans ahead of you - especially at DL. More than anything I hope we can keep that style of play, but upgrade the recruiting.
Good post. Its funny how some of the people that devalued the importance of scheme is now wishing TW hadn't left.