So, JB kinda threw Roberson under the bus apparently | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

So, JB kinda threw Roberson under the bus apparently

Should have been developing your players all season, Jim. We might not have started 25-0 but we sure as hell wouldn't have lost to BC or GT at home. If we had a legit 8 or 9-man rotation (with Buss and BJ getting in at least some ACC games), we'd probably be the same record-wise, but everyone would be fresher and more experienced.

I imagine there is some discontent from a large portion of the roster - the ones that never play even after three players have been injured.

Should have been developing your players all season, Jim. We might not have started 25-0 but we sure as hell wouldn't have lost to BC or GT at home. If we had a legit 8 or 9-man rotation (with Buss and BJ getting in at least some ACC games), we'd probably be the same record-wise, but everyone would be fresher and more experienced.

I imagine there is some discontent from a large portion of the roster - the ones that never play even after three players have been injured.
When a team wins there is no dissent from the bench, but the corollary is also true. Quazzum hit it on the head: we start strong and finish weak especially if there is an injury that makes us so much more vulnerable. In the end, our record might be more or less the same no matter which philosophy Coach uses. The big difference is that a short bench makes the loss of any one starter turn into a disaster.

@Stephen_Bailey1: Boeheim said Roberson gives the team nothing: "He doesn't know the defense. He doesn't know the offense. He can't help us right now."

Are you kidding me, Jim? What a dick thing to say.

Is it true? Maybe. But don't freaking get THIS negative on a freshman out there giving it his all.
Doesn't sound like the best relationship between the two... Coaches never would do that to a player they enjoy coaching who knows that they are giving it their all. Especially JB who is so loyal. For him to say this makes the relationship seem suspect. Who knows but regardless , it is JBs job to get him to understand the defense and offense which I am sure he has tried and for him to say this publicly just means that he simply Doesn't think Roberson is trying or is not coach able.

I've often wondered if this sort of harsh, open criticism is JB's way of motivating his players. Like a Herb Brooks tactic.

Given what came before it ("I'm not retiring"), it sounds like Boeheim saw the question about Roberson's play as a knock on his coaching. And so we get the rather brutal response that Roberson hasn't deserved to play and tonight proved it.

For someone with 900-plus wins, he's way too sensitive about the questions the local press ask him. Roberson was just collateral damage here. In the wrong place at the wrong time.

Last edited:
Given what came before it ("I'm not retiring"), it sounds like Boeheim saw the question about Roberson's play as a knock on his coaching. And we get the rather brutal response that Roberson hasn't deserved to play and tonight proved it.

For someone with 900-plus wins, he's way too sensitive about the questions the local press ask him. Roberson was just collateral damage here. In the wrong place at the wrong time.
That may be true. And if true - makes it even worse.

I think the NCAA may have had a hand in dooming Tyler's season. I know it was long ago, but I think missing the trip to Canada and all of that practice time must have had an effect, always playing catch up. I really hope the kid can have the turnaround Waiters had, and keep it consistent. Things all start in the mind, and I hope he doesn't need his family to convince him to return like Dion did(or at least if he does, I hope he pays them heed).

I don't like what Boeheim said, but Moqui hit it with the context part...and I hope we are all just taking this the wrong way. For all we know, JB may have have spoken with TR since then, or may soon. Regardless, my initial reaction was admittedly the same as the majority on here.

That may be true. And if true - makes it even worse.
Probably correct though.
Sad-disappointed in JB. Roberson's teammates probably didn't like the comment either. Could JB be the problem.
If he want to call out Cooney or Keita-but that won't happen.

Dcuse said:
Out where? The kid is lost. I'm not justifying trashing the kid in post game but he's absolutely correct. This kids not helping this year. Where did he look very good to you?

On defense, Roberson looked great. Absolutely great, for what this defense is supposed to do from his position. He covered the space of 2.5 players usually.

@Stephen_Bailey1: Boeheim said Roberson gives the team nothing: "He doesn't know the defense. He doesn't know the offense. He can't help us right now."

Are you kidding me, Jim? What a dick thing to say.

Is it true? Maybe. But don't freaking get THIS negative on a freshman out there giving it his all.

JB must be pissed that his hand was forced in playing Roberson. For once I'd love to hear Iggy's take on this.

i watched that last night and honestly couldn't believe what i was hearing. i can't even begin to imagine what positive outcome JB envisioned .

Classic Boeheim. SU wins it's mostly laughed off, they lose and it's highly criticized. He is what he is and for that he will always be.

Perhaps he has tried that already. Now he is sending a message in a different manner. Don't think he would go that far without reason. At least I hope he wouldn't.
JB isn't an idiot. It is my belief he only criticizes players publicly when repeated private criticism has failed. I think he is really frustrated with TR right now and is using this as a last resort to try and get him to contribute.

From what I have seen, the kid has talent but isn't ready to play. He is still a step too slow sometimes on defense. On offense, he is playing scared and is content to stand around on the perimeter, where he is a complete non-entity. Looks to me as though he is in the middle of making the transition from HS, where he played on the low post with his back to the basket most of the time, to college, where he is facing the basket. It is a huge change and often takes a year or two to make the necessary adjustments.

JB isn't an idiot. It is my belief he only criticizes players publicly when repeated private criticism has failed. I think he is really frustrated with TR right now and is using this as a last resort to try and get him to contribute.

From what I have seen, the kid has talent but isn't ready to play. He is still a step too slow sometimes on defense. On offense, he is playing scared and is content to stand around on the perimeter, where he is a complete non-entity. Looks to me as though he is in the middle of making the transition from HS, where he played on the low post with his back to the basket most of the time, to college, where he is facing the basket. It is a huge change and often takes a year or two to make the necessary adjustments.

I really think Roberson is going to be good next year great in another year after, he has all the tools and runs the court like a gazelle and you are right he is really transitioning from back to/ facing the basket but I agree right now it's tough to watch. I think he will be a two year starter. If Grant leaves this or next year. What sucks is about college basketball and I find it unwatchable other than Syracuse is the freshman who make an immediate impact go off to the NBA and the freshman that don't are often written off, nobody has time for development anymore. If Roberson was averaging 8 points a game he would be slotted as a top 15 pick this year because he has so much potential because the talent gets raided every year. The 2012 lottery picks should actually be the 2014 lottery picks. Is what it is. If people follow horse racing, it's like buying all your horses as weanlings or at best yearlings as opposed to 2 year old sales and even a few claimers who sometimes just need a change in direction. pros and cons to both.

It takes time, he is a bundle of nerves out there right now, it's unfortunate that we play so slow right now because a great way to get him involved would be in transition where he can finish without thinking too much. OH well...

I agree with your point on what JB is trying to accomplish but he still comes across as a real dickhead regardless. I am fine with it and I am sure he doesn't care but the perception is 100% vaild

I really think Roberson is going to be good next year great in another year after, he has all the tools and runs the court like a gazelle and you are right he is really transitioning from back to/ facing the basket but I agree right now it's tough to watch. I think he will be a two year starter. If Grant leaves this or next year. What sucks is about college basketball and I find it unwatchable other than Syracuse is the freshman who make an immediate impact go off to the NBA and the freshman that don't are often written off, nobody has time for development anymore. If Roberson was averaging 8 points a game he would be slotted as a top 15 pick this year because he has so much potential because the talent gets raided every year. The 2012 lottery picks should actually be the 2014 lottery picks. Is what it is. If people follow horse racing, it's like buying all your horses as weanlings or at best yearlings as opposed to 2 year old sales and even a few claimers who sometimes just need a change in direction. pros and cons to both.

It takes time, he is a bundle of nerves out there right now, it's unfortunate that we play so slow right now because a great way to get him involved would be in transition where he can finish without thinking too much. OH well...

I agree with your point on what JB is trying to accomplish but he still comes across as a real dickhead regardless. I am fine with it and I am sure he doesn't care but the perception is 100% vaild
Great post.

We don't see practice and I'm sure Boeheim needs to see X from a player before they get the time. Then...they have to show they can do that in a game...then they get PT. He has his system and way of treating his players and it is his team and possibly the things we see the bench guys do in games he sees over and over in practice.

That said I get the jitters and fear of making a mistake. You're yanked out quickly and when you feel like that you do not have confidence. You won't...at least in most cases and the criticism given by Boeheim is and has always been his MO. His reasons, he has them. Would I as a coach do that? No, but he has to do what he feels is right for his team. He is more in touch with their psyche? His way of motivating? A way of toughening them in his way of doing it? Thicken that skin and get out there and play basketball.

sorry don't buy "he's not ready for d1 college ball" . in fact i think he's starts on most teams. 73 minutes in conference play. that's his problem.
now calling out a kid post game...that's boeheim's problem.

Last edited:
sutomcat said:
JB isn't an idiot. It is my belief he only criticizes players publicly when repeated private criticism has failed. I think he is really frustrated with TR right now and is using this as a last resort to try and get him to contribute. From what I have seen, the kid has talent but isn't ready to play. He is still a step too slow sometimes on defense. On offense, he is playing scared and is content to stand around on the perimeter, where he is a complete non-entity. Looks to me as though he is in the middle of making the transition from HS, where he played on the low post with his back to the basket most of the time, to college, where he is facing the basket. It is a huge change and often takes a year or two to make the necessary adjustments.

Sorry. This is BS.

We've gone into a tailspin and it's not Roberson's fault and he doesn't deserve to be treated like this.

He's playing as well as can be expected with someone who has only had spot minutes here and there and now is asked to start because JB's hand is forced when he should have been getting real minutes, at the very least, after DC went down.

Once he went down, JB rolled the dice and lost. BMK got hurt and now Grant.

TC was basically a turnover every time he shot a three, Baye had a terrible game - I can go on and on.

Roberson has an excuse for his play (which I don't feel was that bad). What is everyone else's? What about the coaching?

It's bad form and JB sounds like a loser when he says things like this.

Just let the kids eat dessert first! There will be no consequences!

If you think playing a guy that isn't doing the things the coaches want in practice - won't have consequences...? For the kid and his team? There is a process. Trust it.

TheCusian said:
Just let the kids eat dessert first! There will be no consequences! If you think playing a guy that isn't doing the things the coaches want in practice - won't have consequences...? For the kid and his team? There is a process. Trust it.

What? Even if all that is true, how is throwing a kid under the bus going to help?

How can you say that when TC is throwing up brick after brick and Baye can't do anything right? At least they did something good in practice? Great. We need buckets.

I love how it has to be that Roberson isn't practicing well and nothing else. Give me a break.

Was it his fault we lost to BC? Is it his fault that all our guys are getting injured?

Although I agree with what you are saying - that doesn't mean it's right. The buck stops with HCJB - that's what we pay him for. You do know he threw Rak under the bus as well and stated that they won't throw him the ball anymore. Ok so who do we have left to shoot the ball? We aren't going to win many games going TE-CJ against 5.

HCJB has lost the team right now - it's his job to get them back and no one else's job but his. Pouting at a presser doesn't do it in my book.

People make mistakes and have off days- players, teachers, mechanics, scientists, coaches, etc , why is Jim any different?

What has Roberson done to deserve to play? When he plays he's done nothing. He's got his chance in games and hasnt produced. Everyone has complained about Cooney when he hasn't played well, but Roberson is 13-44 from the field this year at the forward position. That is 29%. I don't know what some people are watching out there, but he hesitates before every shot he takes. He's thinking more than anyone out there and not playing with the flow. He's talented yes, but obviously hes not ready.

I watched the entire press conference. He was being snarkey with the media more than anything, and I'm sure hes trying to light a fire under them. The issue with the team is more confidence than anything. But it sounds like Grant will be back, and thats good. Also mentioned in the press conference was the fact that Trevor is his guy and he is going to continue to get 8-10 looks from three every game because that's all he has at that position, so the patterson and Johnson talk can end right there to.

People make mistakes and have off days- players, teachers, mechanics, scientists, coaches, etc , why is Jim any different?

Jim is more like a politician than a professional service provider. He is a public figure and in his position, the most well known ambassador of the university. He is held to a higher standard and when he decides to go off the script millions have access to see.

What has Roberson done to deserve to play? When he plays he's done nothing. He's got his chance in games and hasnt produced. Everyone has complained about Cooney when he hasn't played well, but Roberson is 13-44 from the field this year at the forward position. That is 29%. I don't know what some people are watching out there, but he hesitates before every shot he takes. He's thinking more than anyone out there and not playing with the flow. He's talented yes, but obviously hes not ready.

Whose fault is that? Dare I say, both of them? Putting a freshman into the starting lineup because of an injury, which happens, and is the reason why depth matters (of all teams, we should know this after 2010), amidst a losing streak, where your team cannot hit the broad side of a barn for most of the game, is not putting that player in the best position to succeed.

Yes, he looks timid out there, I agree. But look at our entire offense.

Everyone has complained about Cooney when he hasn't played well

And last year when Cooney was throwing up bricks, I don't remember JB chastising him during a post-game presser. He didn't bury Cooney after he went 0-3 in 11 minutes during the Georgetown debacle last season. Because it wasn't Cooney's fault SU couldn't crack 40.

It's poor a showing by Boeheim. Tyler Roberson is waaaaaay down on the list of things on this team that need to improve.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom