So, JB kinda threw Roberson under the bus apparently | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

So, JB kinda threw Roberson under the bus apparently

I think some people measure Keita and Roberson with different rulers. Even without considering context, he looked good tonight. He played his role.

If JB wanted Roberson to play loose on O, he should have sent that message earlier in the season. You don't teach someone to play loose by teaching them to play tight.

Keita has no offensive skills and never has. So yes, I measure them by different rulers in one sense...I have no doubts that Roberson could be an offensive threat and I know he will be soon enough. Keita just doesn't have that capability.

I guess I don't necessarily blame the coach if a player plays "tight". None of us are at practice. Maybe Tyler is just a nervous, tentative kid and JB is frustrated with it? Who knows. Regardless, JB should keep his comments diplomatic. And it's also not necessarily his fault that Tyler looks tentative. Different players have different makeups. Does Boeheim also get the credit that Moten and McNamara let their nuts hang from day 1? Not to me...some kids are just built like that.

Actually I think the question was do you want to get TR more time against FSU. He said no, we want to win. Then went on to say that TR isn't ready to help us win.

cuseguy said:
Then why did they recruit him? They couldn't see this in high school? He was a high profile recruit.

I'm pretty sure JB has seen all types and has the ego to believe he can get through to a kid. My guess is that he planned on using this year to mold him (positive term) break him (negative version) - and he hates that he's forced to use him before he's practicing in a manner that makes him trust him.

His remarks reek of that frustration.

While I love some of Jimmy's pressers, this is exactly why some, let alone our own fanbase, have bad opinions about our head coach.

Actually I think the question was do you want to get TR more time against FSU. He said no, we want to win. Then went on to say that TR isn't ready to help us win.
If that's true, that's even worse, to me. Seriously coach, a little tact never hurt anyone.

During PCs, sometimes JB says things to motivate players, sometimes he says things to demonstrate to reporters that they're stupid. This could have been either one of those.

And yes, put me in the camp that Tyler could EASILY have helped this team if he had gotten consistent minutes all year. He had a fantastic bucket tonight off a head fake, and as others mentioned, a nice dish to Ennis after some nice back to the basket footwork.

He is very controlled with the ball. He's also scared as hell he's going to mess up. Not surprising. If you cannot see that this guy has offensive skills, not sure what to tell you.

I can't even watch any new shows anymore because they all suck in comparison. Kind've similar to watching college hoops now. I try to enjoy it, but nobody is good compared to the actual really good teams that many of us were lucky enough to watch in the past.

I agree with you on both points, although some here might disagree on the latter. Little question in my mind.

During PCs, sometimes JB says things to motivate players, sometimes he says things to demonstrate to reporters that they're stupid. This could have been either one of those.
Certainly possible. This time though I vote for just being a dick.

Keita has no offensive skills and never has. So yes, I measure them by different rulers in one sense...I have no doubts that Roberson could be an offensive threat and I know he will be soon enough. Keita just doesn't have that capability.

I guess I don't necessarily blame the coach if a player plays "tight". None of us are at practice. Maybe Tyler is just a nervous, tentative kid and JB is frustrated with it? Who knows. Regardless, JB should keep his comments diplomatic. And it's also not necessarily his fault that Tyler looks tentative. Different players have different makeups. Does Boeheim also get the credit that Moten and McNamara let their nuts hang from day 1? Not to me...some kids are just built like that.

We're talking about a kid that from all accounts coming in was a hard worker and good kid and one that put up 50+ points in a pro-am game against Kyrie Irving and a NBA teammate just before stepping on campus. A guy that held his own or exceeded the play of other freshman contributing for their college teams while in high school. Nobody knows what caused him to become tentative, we've seen and heard this before about guys not being able to contribute... then they leave for the NBA after the following season.

No player on SU would throw anyone under the bus. They'd miss

The bus could be moving, so maybe they could try to throw under Buss during a game, because he surely isn't moving.

We're talking about a kid that from all accounts coming in was a hard worker and good kid and one that put up 50+ points in a pro-am game against Kyrie Irving and a NBA teammate just before stepping on campus. A guy that held his own or exceeded the play of other freshman contributing for their college teams while in high school. Nobody knows what caused him to become tentative, we've seen and heard this before about guys not being able to contribute... then they leave for the NBA after the following season.

Does anyone still think our bigs develop as well as they did under Bernie Fine?

These players also at least partially credited Boeheim for their sophomore year transformations, did they not? Dion definitely did.

So let's not go too hard on the "JB is holding these guys back!" narrative.

As for high school...Josh Wright outplayed Telfair at some camp, right? Who cares?

I have no doubts that Roberson is good, and will be good. I'm not as quick to pass the blame. Play good. I'm quite sure that if he was, Boeheim would get him on the court a lot. It's not always the coaches fault.

That said, no need to give the media anything about your struggling players other than boring "he's working hard" quotes, in my opinion.

Last edited:
jekelish said:
@Stephen_Bailey1: Boeheim said Roberson gives the team nothing: "He doesn't know the defense. He doesn't know the offense. He can't help us right now." Are you kidding me, Jim? What a dick thing to say. Is it true? Maybe. But don't freaking get THIS negative on a freshman out there giving it his all.

Must be Grant has decided to come back.

And yes, put me in the camp that Tyler could EASILY have helped this team if he had gotten consistent minutes all year. He had a fantastic bucket tonight off a head fake, and as others mentioned, a nice dish to Ennis after some nice back to the basket footwork.

He is very controlled with the ball. He's also scared as hell he's going to mess up. Not surprising. If you cannot see that this guy has offensive skills, not sure what to tell you.

If you're scared, get a dog.

Hot dog? Maybe Tyler is just really hungry.

"When you're hungry, you eat. If you're a frog, you leap. If you're scared, get a dog."

Julius Hodge's(yeah, I know), words to an NC State teammate getting his first career start, several years back.

that is certainly true, but I need to hear this quote in context and with tone of voice before I condemn it. this could easily be read as a "said in sorrow, not in anger" response to a question.

You've good intuition. I watched the entire presser, his comments about Roberson were at the end of the 15 minute segment. He was answering a question about Roberson when he stated the specific comments already cited here. In my interpretation, he was not really throwing TR under the bus, as much as just giving his opinion of the 'real' situation, that is, he's just not there yet, to contribute in any significant manner. At the end of that, he said to go back and look at the game again, the videotape, etc., you can see for yourself he's not ready...if you can not see from watching it, than I don't know what to tell you.

He wasn't angry, though you can sense some frustration that he's a bit disappointed that TR still at this stage in the season is struggling to figure it out. Obviously, he hears the rumblings of why he doesn't get more pt, etc...'now you know why.' Freshman struggle adjusting, some more than others...hopefully he'll figure it out as we continue moving forward.

@Stephen_Bailey1: Boeheim said Roberson gives the team nothing: "He doesn't know the defense. He doesn't know the offense. He can't help us right now."

Are you kidding me, Jim? What a dick thing to say.

Is it true? Maybe. But don't freaking get THIS negative on a freshman out there giving it his all.
What offense; the only players that know our offense are those on other teams.

Tyler Roberson is the reason for global warming
Its now called temperature change. "We're all gonna die."(Country Joe & the Fish)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom