So... Rak's going to have a big year. I said it | Syracusefan.com

So... Rak's going to have a big year. I said it

OttoinGrotto

2023-24 Iggy Award Most 3 Pointers Made
I see Rak being a solid 8 and 8 kind of player. He needs to get involved early, and I think we have the team make up to reward him when he fights for position early in games. I think from our 3 bigs he's going to average the most total minutes per game and swing between the 4 and 5. Next season he'll team with Coleman and CM to form the most physically imposing frontline in college hoops.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I see Rak being a solid 8 and 8 kind of player. He needs to get involved early, and I think we have the team make up to reward him when he fights for position early in games. I think from our 3 bigs he's going to average the most total minutes per game and swing between the 4 and 5. Next season he'll team with Coleman and CM to form the most physically imposing frontline in college hoops.

I told you to stop drinking early on sundays!!! We will have an intervention. Sure, he could end up the best of the 5's this year. Close call. However, I don't want to see him at the 4. Fair and Grant. A little Roberson.

also didn't i read a lot of posts here about how raXmas was good as gone.

I watched as the lightbulb went on for Rick Jackson, BMK (last postseason), Melo, AO, Craig Forth, heck all the way back to Danny Schayes.
At some point, predictably, some of the knee-jerk "experts" in our fan-base wrote them off as busts, when all they were experiencing were growing pains. More often then not after a little seasoning, you start to see the play and consistency improve- and viola...
Rak will be fine and by year's end, we'll look back on posts like this and mock them! :cool:

Anything is possible. As the season progresses, I don't think JB will have Rak and Keita/DC on the floor at the same time for the sake of offensive continuity. Rak is going to have to fight for minutes at the 5.

Anything is possible. As the season progresses, I don't think JB will have Rak and Keita/DC on the floor at the same time for the sake of offensive continuity. Rak is going to have to fight for minutes at the 5.

See, I think Coleman is the one in the fight. Baye has earned a certain amount of trust, but I believe JB would rather see a more imposing physical presence getting minutes at center.

I would love for your prediction to come true. I think that Rak plays best at the 5, and he clearly is the top shotblocker out of our trio of pivots. 8 and 8, though? I don't see it. Even with his rudimentary offensive skills, scoring 8 points wouldn't be that difficult. That's a basket or two each half, which he could get running the floor in transition or getting an occasional putback. Toss in a couple of free throws a game and he could get there. COULD--not saying he will.

I also think he has the raw materials to be a decent rebounder. Not a great one necessarily, but a pretty good one. Snaring 8 caroms a game would be pretty damn outstanding, however.

Ultimately, I believe he's too inconsistent to deliver those numbers every game. I think he could have some games like that, but I think a more likely outcome is that he and Coleman both start, one gets the quick hook [a la AO / Rick in 2010], depending on matchups and whoever happens to be playing better any particular game. And I'd also expect that Keita will finish a lot of games. He seems to produce [especially defensively] in close games, and he seems to have JB's full confidence.

It will be really interesting to see how Rak / Coleman build upon this summer tour. Both looked good in the fourth game, they were invisible in the third [which was the only competitive matchup], and were basically non-factors in the first two games. Will they use these tune-up games to help set the foundation this year, and carve out niches as bigger contributors, or will JB continue to go with Keita as the closer? We'll see.

See, I think Coleman is the one in the fight. Baye has earned a certain amount of trust, but I believe JB would rather see a more imposing physical presence getting minutes at center.

All three are in the fight for minutes at the 5, and Baye is emerging as the player of choice at crunch time. That trend will continue. But, the scenario you see with Rak getting time as a swing 4 is not likely. For that to happen, Rak would have to take minutes from Fair or Grant (and possibly Roberson). Not going to happen Otto.

If Rak "earns" significant playing time I will be thrilled. That means he is rebounding and getting a few baskets a game. I think that he will earn more time than last year at PF and C, which won't be difficult. However, I still think that Boeheim goes with 2 traditional forwards most of the game. That will space the floor better with shooters and enhance the offense. Some will depend on how well 2 forwards can rebound. With the small sample size we've had so far, it looks like Grant is a better rebounder than Rak already. Fair is without question.

All three are in the fight for minutes at the 5, and Baye is emerging as the player of choice at crunch time. That trend will continue. But, the scenario you see with Rak getting time as a swing 4 is not likely. For that to happen, Rak would have to take minutes from Fair or Grant (and possibly Roberson). Not going to happen Otto.
Do you envision him losing his starting spot at the 4? I think the token minutes there will be enough to separate him from Keita and Coleman.

Do you envision him losing his starting spot at the 4? I think the token minutes there will be enough to separate him from Keita and Coleman.

I think his starting spot at the 4 is nearly irrelevant. The real issue is minutes played and, more importantly, productivity. Your post title is about Rak having a "big year" and averaging 8 & 8. Rak will almost exclusively get run at the 5 in games that matter, IMO, and that run will be split between 3 players.

I think that Rak is an elite athlete. He is however, not an instinctual basketball player. To date, I think this is the factor that has limited his time and production. I also think that trend will continue.

Rak is going to have a huge year...in 2014-2015!! I've said it for some time now.

In '14-'15 he will be the senior, defensive, intimidating center on a NC contending squad. He is a major piece of that puzzle and without him the team falls out of the NC talk because his replacement is a wet behind the ears Chino. Huge dropoff.

This year Rak and BMK look very similar. Rak's minutes at the 4 are a borderline nuisance because they come at the expense of Roberson who appears to be the better talent there. Small price to pay.

Rak is going to have a huge year...in 2014-2015!! I've said it for some time now.

In '14-'15 he will be the senior, defensive, intimidating center on a NC contending squad. He is a major piece of that puzzle and without him the team falls out of the NC talk because his replacement is a wet behind the ears Chino. Huge dropoff.

This year Rak and BMK look very similar. Rak's minutes at the 4 are a borderline nuisance because they come at the expense of Roberson who appears to be the better talent there. Small price to pay.

What about Coleman?

What about Coleman?
DC2 will continue to be the offensive center.

To continue to play this aggressive D we need at least 2 centers. DC2 and Rak will be a great combo. And they would give a coaching weapon for JB - allow for offense/defense subs at the end of tight games. Chino is a huge drop-off.

Chino is such a large drop-off I believe it will provide JB with the excuse he needs in '14-'15 to stop the Rak at the 4 nonsense. It's an easy sell, we need you at center Rak, you will start there.

It's conceivable the first wave of subs could be a jr DC2 and soph Roberson. That's impressive.

To continue to play this aggressive D we need at least 2 centers. DC2 and Rak will be a great combo. And they would give a coaching weapon for JB - allow for offense/defense subs at the end of tight games. Chino is a huge drop-off.

Chino is such a large drop-off I believe it will provide JB with the excuse he needs in '14-'15 to stop the Rak at the 4 nonsense. It's an easy sell, we need you at center Rak, you will start there.

It's conceivable the first wave of subs could be a jr DC2 and soph Roberson. That's impressive.

There are a lot of assumptions in there. First of all, DC will be a junior, and likely have two years of starting under his belt. Like Rak, he has a lot of proving to do, but I don't envision him being displaced or not getting run in the pivot. I agree that Rak will be the best defensive presence of the three centers we'll have on the team next year.

But there are also some interesting combinations at forward. If Grant returns, does he play 4 or 3? Roberson is another guy who will likely be a key reserve this year but could contend for a starting spot next year. And I have a difficult time envisioning McCullough not starting--could be at the 4 [most likely], but maybe at the 5.

So while a redshirt frosh Obokoh might not be able to provide what a senior Keita will--especially experientially--JB will still have lots of big men and versatility at the power spots with the raw materials he'll have on hand. Nothing is going to be handed to any player. If guys don't produce, they won't get PT.

What happened during the 4th game? DC2 played defense for what looked like the first time ever! The previous 3 games, he shuffled around in the paint, straight up not doing much. Since TW in Rochester didn't get to the 4th game until half way through the 1st half, I was first surprised to see DC playing and then see him all over the court on defense.

There's a guy who sits in my section who is constantly all over Rak for every little thing. He yelled at him 1 time because he had to tie his shoes during a timeout (presumably because Rak was having a monster game and he couldn't nitpick anything else). Finally, one game, I just snapped and turned around and basically told the guy to shut-up and let the kid play. So as someone who had to stick up for Rak and yell at 1 of our own "fans" in the Dome, I really hope you're correct with this prediction. I want to see this kid have a big year so badly!

There are a lot of assumptions in there. First of all, DC will be a junior, and likely have two years of starting under his belt. Like Rak, he has a lot of proving to do, but I don't envision him being displaced or not getting run in the pivot. I agree that Rak will be the best defensive presence of the three centers we'll have on the team next year.

But there are also some interesting combinations at forward. If Grant returns, does he play 4 or 3? Roberson is another guy who will likely be a key reserve this year but could contend for a starting spot next year. And I have a difficult time envisioning McCullough not starting--could be at the 4 [most likely], but maybe at the 5.

So while a redshirt frosh Obokoh might not be able to provide what a senior Keita will--especially experientially--JB will still have lots of big men and versatility at the power spots with the raw materials he'll have on hand. Nothing is going to be handed to any player. If guys don't produce, they won't get PT.
Wow, McCullough at the 5, that is a stretch. Especially with Rak and DC2 here. Why on Earth would you take a frosh and play him out of position when you don't need to. And try and throw him into the most complex defensive position in the zone to boot. And this is a position where he won't play in the pros. That makes no sense to anyone involved. McC won't be starting, or playing, the 5.

Yes, DC2 will have 2 years of starting under his belt. But I think he has the team first mentality to be able to accept the role of coming off the bench in next years stacked team, to accomodate a senior Rak. A couple of people are going to have to do it - all 5 excellent bigs can't start.

Wow, McCullough at the 5, that is a stretch. Especially with Rak and DC2 here. Why on Earth would you take a frosh and play him out of position when you don't need to. And try and throw him into the most complex defensive position in the zone to boot. And this is a position where he won't play in the pros. That makes no sense to anyone involved. McC won't be starting, or playing, the 5.

Yes, DC2 will have 2 years of starting under his belt. But I think he has the team first mentality to be able to accept the role of coming off the bench in next years stacked team, to accomodate a senior Rak. A couple of people are going to have to do it - all 5 excellent bigs can't start.

Getting your best players on the floor isn't a stretch at all. If Grant, Roberson, and McCullough are the top frontcourt options, then JB will find a way to get them on the floor together.

Its a critical juncture in both Rak and DC's developmental curves. But nothing is going to be handed to anyone--not when there are other capable options. And the larger point I was making is NOT that McCullough at the 5 is likely, just that it won't be Rak and a cloud of dust at the center position next year, as you seemed to opine above.

Reactions: 007
Getting your best players on the floor isn't a stretch at all. If Grant, Roberson, and McCullough are the top frontcourt options, then JB will find a way to get them on the floor together.

Its a critical juncture in both Rak and DC's developmental curves. But nothing is going to be handed to anyone--not when there are other capable options. And the larger point I was making is NOT that McCullough at the 5 is likely, just that it won't be Rak and a cloud of dust at the center position next year, as you seemed to opine above.

You know what's worse than Rak and a cloud of dust?

Southerland and a cloud of dust.

/done for the day

You know what's worse than Rak and a cloud of dust?

Southerland and a cloud of dust.

/done for the day

micDrop.gif

Just like how he put out CJ, Dirty, and Grant out last year? Oh, wait, he didn't...No, Grant, Roberson, and McC can't play center, and they won't, no matter how much you like the offensive possibilities. There is a lot involved in the center position defensively. You can't just throw someone in there. DC2 was a McD center in HS and he struggled his frosh year.

And there is nothing critical involved in Rak's development. I actually don't expect much more now. But the Rak we have now and next year is miles ahead of Chino, or god forbid, any desperation Grant or McC move. We lose less going from Grant to Roberson than we do going from Rak to Chino.

FWIW, I wasn't onboard with Grant jumping to the NBA after this season, but after these exhibitions I think he's viewed as the clear #2 on the team and will have the opportunity to make enough of a name for himself to go.

That doesn't make us thin at forward in 2014-2015 by any means, but I agree with the sentiment that Rak is quietly a very, very important guy for our frontcourt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom