So say Edwards gets hurt again | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

So say Edwards gets hurt again

We are not contending for a title. We are hoping to be on the inside of the bubble more than the outside.

Things could change before the fall, but I think we need to accept that JB believes that he can win with the roster he has today. There is absolutely no way that JW will "get rid of Jim" before the start of the season based on roster construction. None. If JB is wrong and the season plays out the way some fear, the parameters will change. Until then, JB will remain defiant in doing things his way. It's not about the roster as much as it's about HIS faith in his own ability to coach up what he has without having to chase players in the portal or tend to too many egos. To be fair, he has 45 years of winning to support his belief system, even though the decline seems obvious to many.

Well, I've been a Bon Jovi fan since my youth. And, I went to their concert here in Charlotte just over a week or so ago. Unfortunately, this concert/JBJ's vocals nowadays pains me similar to the state that SU hoops does.

Apparently, just as JB believes...JBJ still believes he can sing live too. I mean, '100,000,000 Bon Jovi fans can't be wrong.' :(

Things could change before the fall, but I think we need to accept that JB believes that he can win with the roster he has today. There is absolutely no way that JW will "get rid of Jim" before the start of the season based on roster construction. None. If JB is wrong and the season plays out the way some fear, the parameters will change. Until then, JB will remain defiant in doing things his way. It's not about the roster as much as it's about HIS faith in his own ability to coach up what he has without having to chase players in the portal or tend to too many egos. To be fair, he has 45 years of winning to support his belief system, even though the decline seems obvious to many.
Do you really think JB believes he can win with this roster? Or is he just working a job and going through the motions at this point? What HC hardly goes to recruit anymore aside from stuff close to home? He’s checked out. His “faith” hasn’t been good enough for far too many years now. The leash keeps getting extended and extended. We all love JB and what he did for Syracuse. We can’t enter this season without a viable backup at Center. Not fair to anyone.

Do you really think JB believes he can win with this roster? Or is he just working a job and going through the motions at this point? What HC hardly goes to recruit anymore aside from stuff close to home? He’s checked out. His “faith” hasn’t been good enough for far too many years now. The leash keeps getting extended and extended. We all love JB and what he did for Syracuse. We can’t enter this season without a viable backup at Center. Not fair to anyone.
I think he believes he can get to the tournament with this team.

We, as fans, need to adjust our expectations as I mentioned months ago. Best case scenarios until Jim steps away will be bubble teams.

Could this team without any more portal pickups be a bubble team? MAYBE.
Could it also be a complete disaster? MAYBE
Will we be a top 25 team all year and a high seed? No. If you are expecting it that this point, it's on you. And trust me, I was where you might be. No reason to pee into the wind.

FWIW, it's not what I want and I'm not trying to say it's ok. It's just what it is until JB steps down.

I think he believes he can get to the tournament with this team.

We, as fans, need to adjust our expectations as I mentioned months ago. Best case scenarios until Jim steps away will be bubble teams.

Could this team without any more portal pickups be a bubble team? MAYBE.
Could it also be a complete disaster? MAYBE
Will we be a top 25 team all year and a high seed? No. If you are expecting it that this point, it's on you. And trust me, I was where you might be. No reason to pee into the wind.

FWIW, it's not what I want and I'm not trying to say it's ok. It's just what it is until JB steps down.
It doesn’t have to be this way. With a nice shooter type replacement for Cole and a Ballard type (ugh) this can be a tournament team for sure. And maybe even crack the Top 25. Us posters didn’t always think we were THIS smart.

And current roster will most likely not be a bubble team imho.

With the transfer portal, it's going to be harder and harder to find backups that aren't freshmen. We just have to recruit more players who are game ready.

Just can't keep guys like Frank around, or get a portal transfer to come in and be the backup. Everyone wants to know they at least have an opportunity to start.

Cuse is basically becoming Indiana but slightly better. A program that used to be good.

With the transfer portal, it's going to be harder and harder to find backups that aren't freshmen. We just have to recruit more players who are game ready.

Just can't keep guys like Frank around, or get a portal transfer to come in and be the backup. Everyone wants to know they at least have an opportunity to start.
How come it was easy for Wichita St this offseason and not Syracuse?

How come it was easy for Wichita St this offseason and not Syracuse?
am guessing Wich St told QB he'll have the opportunity to compete for starting spot and signif PT - am guessing JB told QB he'll be a backup with occasional opportunity for more minutes depending on game/situatio-
i.e. Wich St doesn't have a Jesse Edwards on their roster and doesn't have a coach who is brutally honest

Yup, I really think that's what he believes. It doesn't matter whether I agree with his reasoning.

am guessing Wich St told QB he'll have the opportunity to compete for starting spot and signif PT - am guessing JB told QB he'll be a backup with occasional opportunity for more minutes depending on game/situatio-
i.e. Wich St doesn't have a Jesse Edwards on their roster and doesn't have a coach who is brutally honest
Meant Rojas from Bama as well. It seems so much easier for other schools to get transfers at this point. Why were all our eggs in one basket? Our coach(es) need to get it together.

Are we certain this is his last year?

He wants to go out with a winning season and tourney appearance is my guess.

So if that doesn't happen this coming season, I bet he comes back.

Yup, I really think that's what he believes. It doesn't matter whether I agree with his reasoning.
As he’s gotten older and our team has continued to decline, he’s continued to preach that the tournament is the only thing that matters. He’s been able to hang on to some of us by sneaking in and making a run. That game he’s playing isn’t working anymore when we can’t even make the tournament.

Meant Rojas from Bama as well. It seems so much easier for other schools to get transfers at this point. Why were all our eggs in one basket? Our coach(es) need to get it together.

I'm not making excuses for them, I think they need to recruit better so that our freshmen aren't multi-year projects.

But Syracuse has an established starter at center. Ballard knew if he came here it was to be a backup. At Wichita State, he can compete for a starting role.

The problem is recruiting better freshmen, not the inability to attract better transfers, especially at a position where the starter is known.

I'm not making excuses for them, I think they need to recruit better so that our freshmen aren't multi-year projects.

But Syracuse has an established starter at center. Ballard knew if he came here it was to be a backup. At Wichita State, he can compete for a starting role.

The problem is recruiting better freshmen, not the inability to attract better transfers, especially at a position where the starter is known.
I agree, recruit better freshmen… but with that being said, the new NCAAB is about transfers. We need to adapt. We still have much more to offer than many of the schools “out-recruiting” us

Because we aren't looking at guys. Period. The only reason I believe we went after Ballard is because we thought it would be easy and he would come here since he's from here.

This is not a failure of recruiting. This is a strategic choice by JB.

QB has a better opportunity to play, its simple. If JE stays out of foul trouble he will play 30 minutes a game. Why would anyone come.

I agree, recruit better freshmen… but with that being said, the new NCAAB is about transfers. We need to adapt. We still have much more to offer than many of the schools “out-recruiting” us

We have a starting spot up for grabs, the one vacated by Swider. If we only have 1 scholarship left, I'm all for filling it with an impact player at that spot. We'd have more to sell a transfer on that than we would coming to be the backup center.

It would be really nice if we didn't have two scholarships being used by guys who won't see the court, but I digress.

Last edited:
Because we aren't looking at guys. Period. The only reason I believe we went after Ballard is because we thought it would be easy and he would come here since he's from here.

This is not a failure of recruiting. This is a strategic choice by JB.
Then this is just lazy by JB. If he was willing to take on an “easy” recruit, get out there and find someone else to come in. It doesn’t make sense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom