So say Edwards gets hurt again | Syracusefan.com

So say Edwards gets hurt again

The problem I see is that we don’t have a roster that can compete for a title. Not sure that changes at this point and if Edwards gets hurt we likely guarantee ourselves another losing season. Seems like we’re splitting hairs but one or two additions, unless there is someone we aren’t talking about, is irrelevant to changing our trajectory.

Feels like JB is getting one more year as a courtesy, expect the usual. Melo is not part of this incoming class.

Our backup centers are JBA and Carey? We already know what JBA is… and if Jim finds most freshmen to be unable to help the team, then how will a raw prospect like Carey? Someone please assure me that we are still actively seeking a backup center.
I thought JBA was leaving?

The problem I see is that we don’t have a roster that can compete for a title. Not sure that changes at this point and if Edwards gets hurt we likely guarantee ourselves another losing season. Seems like we’re splitting hairs but one or two additions, unless there is someone we aren’t talking about, is irrelevant to changing our trajectory.

Feels like JB is getting one more year as a courtesy, expect the usual. Melo is not part of this incoming class.
We aren’t competing for a title for sure, but sadly enough we would just take a tourney appearance and hopes of winning a few games, at this point.

The need for a back up center is huge, certain and immediate.
Jesse has been hurt, Sid has been hurt, Coleman has been hurt, BMK, Onuaku...
Was it an error to make Anselem not feel "wanted" with little PT? maybe...
Is it a reflection on JB and this program if a D1 quality big can't be recruited?

Folks you are basically howling at the moon at this point. The team is what the team is at this point. It's possible a piece could be added by the start of the season. No sense worrying about it. This is likely JBs last season coming up. Might as well just sit back for this last hurrah and see where the chips fall.

Our backup centers are JBA and Carey? We already know what JBA is… and if Jim finds most freshmen to be unable to help the team, then how will a raw prospect like Carey? Someone please assure me that we are still actively seeking a backup center.
At least we'd get a top draft pick

I don't actually care if he's not ready, if nobody is added we need to give Carey a legit shot at minutes. And Brown.

JBA runs up and down the court, and that's pretty much it. Fun dude to have on the team, but when he's on the court he's just kind of... there.

Let's see if Carey and Brown can make anything happen above that.

If Edwards gets hurt, the seasons over more than likely. Edwards, JGIII, and Judah are more than likely the three players that we can't lose.
Absolutely correct!!!!

Are we certain this is his last year?

Is it a reflection on JB and this program if a D1 quality big can't be recruited?
Frank had plenty of run after Jesse got hurt. He obviously did not have the confidence that he could come back and take some minutes from a healthy Jesse.

if Jesse gets hurt that would be an outlier season killer. The bigger immediate concern is what to do to mange his fouls and rest.

Sorry, but JBA is flat out bad and there is Zero reason to think Carey can help this season after sitting out for two years.

as the roster stands now, I am predicting Brown will earn those backup minutes if we can’t find a legit backup big in the portal.

I don't actually care if he's not ready, if nobody is added we need to give Carey a legit shot at minutes. And Brown.

JBA runs up and down the court, and that's pretty much it. Fun dude to have on the team, but when he's on the court he's just kind of... there.

Let's see if Carey and Brown can make anything happen above that.
Sure, but what is this a never-ending rebuild? We are Syracuse. This is beyond ridiculous already. So instead of bringing in a legit backup/guy who can get 4 man minutes, we’ll just play a “who knows what he could be” at center. We’re going to accept another joke of a year? If we don’t go out and get someone, get rid of Jim before the year. Beyond unacceptable. Many of us want a Swider transfer replacement and a backup 5. Getting neither is a disgrace.

I'll say this. One can clearly make a legitimate argument that that question is yes, but this is nothing new to the here and now. Look at all of the failed attempts to land our top tier prospects at the 5 spot since Christmas graduated. Even missing on 2nd tier plan B and beyond types as well.

I'm not taking the time to go back to those recruiting threads to list all of them, but there were numerous swings and misses. And, it's not as if we were losing all of those to top notch schools either. We lost out on one of those 2nd tier, etc. types in St Bonaventure's Osunniyi I recall.

And the beat goes on...

Folks you are basically howling at the moon at this point. The team is what the team is at this point. It's possible a piece could be added by the start of the season. No sense worrying about it. This is likely JBs last season coming up. Might as well just sit back for this last hurrah and see where the chips fall.
It’s been seemingly his last yr for the last how many yrs?

We’re toast if he goes down.

It’s not just if he gets hurt. It’s that he has to stay out of foul trouble, too.

There is no fix. Maybe a band aid here or there, but we’re in a world of hurt if he goes down.

We’re toast if he goes down.

It’s not just if he gets hurt. It’s that he has to stay out of foul trouble, too.

There is no fix. Maybe a band aid here or there, but we’re in a world of hurt if he goes down.
Exactly. And to not bring someone in shows a lack of effort and drive by JB. Believe me, Carey and Brown were not expecting real minutes their freshman year. Now they may get them.

Sure, but what is this a never-ending rebuild? We are Syracuse. This is beyond ridiculous already. So instead of bringing in a legit backup/guy who can get 4 man minutes, we’ll just play a “who knows what he could be” at center. We’re going to accept another joke of a year? If we don’t go out and get someone, get rid of Jim before the year. Beyond unacceptable. Many of us want a Swider transfer replacement and a backup 5. Getting neither is a disgrace.
Things could change before the fall, but I think we need to accept that JB believes that he can win with the roster he has today. There is absolutely no way that JW will "get rid of Jim" before the start of the season based on roster construction. None. If JB is wrong and the season plays out the way some fear, the parameters will change. Until then, JB will remain defiant in doing things his way. It's not about the roster as much as it's about HIS faith in his own ability to coach up what he has without having to chase players in the portal or tend to too many egos. To be fair, he has 45 years of winning to support his belief system, even though the decline seems obvious to many.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom