so this is the same team as last year | Syracusefan.com

so this is the same team as last year

I mean, we just set a record for fewest points scored in the Carrier Dome - BY 10 POINTS!!!
yep, pretty horrible.
you are taking into account the circumstances, though, right?

yep, pretty horrible.

Sure. A team with mostly new players played another team with a lot of new players. One held the other team to the most embarrassing offensive output in 30 years. We're not talking about a well-played, hard-fought loss here. It was a historic debacle.

Sure. A team with mostly new players played another team with a lot of new players. One held the other team to the most embarrassing offensive output in 30 years. We're not talking about a well-played, hard-fought loss here. It was a historic debacle.
Good lord. The team missed a bunch of shots and it got it got in their heads.
Historic debacle - good stuff

Do we have a single player who can create his own shot?

Maybe I'll give Elijah a 0.5 on that, but otherwise no one.

It's funny, this is the same question I ask before the season starts every year. Given the offense that we are hellbent in running you need athletes who can beat their man off the bounce and/or create their own shot on a somewhat consistent basis. Unfortunately that has not been the case in recent years and it appears like it's still an issue this year.

No movement on O. Our assist leaders had two assists. We had 7 assists total and 9 turnovers.

We shot 24% on FGs, 17% on threes and 43% at the line. Awesome.

I think Girard may be the only player that can dribble at an ACC level on our team.

I'm not sure how many contested threes we took.

I'm not sure what Carey's role is if we aren't pushing tempo.

If Buddy isn't hitting shots, he needs to sit.

We need to recruit better and have an offensive identity.

That was one of the ugliest games of basketball I've ever seen by Syracuse.

Last edited:
yep, pretty horrible.
This wasn’t last years UVA.. (Even then, it would still be unacceptable)

They had some dude named Wandletosen or some ish out there. Kihei Clark is their second best player.

This is going to seem even worse when we all find out UVA isnt the #11 team in the country.

No movement on O. Our assist leaders had two assists. We had 7 assists total and 9 turn overs.

We shot 24% on FGs, 17% on threes and 43% at the line. Awesome.

I think Girard may be the only player that can dribble at an ACC level on our team.

I'm not sure how many contested threes we took.

I'm not sure what Carey's role is if we aren't pushing tempo.

If Buddy isn't hitting shots, he needs to sit.

We need to recruit better and have an offensive identity.

That was one of the ugliest games of basketball I've ever seen by Syracuse.

The identity is chuck 3s with no one on the team that can post up or create a shot. Gillen/White team started the trend.

except without battle and brissett. cool

how long until baseball season?

Bro we missed our best player that got suspended for no reason for the dance not the overrated guys you mentioned.

This wasn’t last years UVA.. (Even then, it would still be unacceptable)

They had some dude named Wandletosen or some ish out there. Kihei Clark is their second best player.

This is going to seem even worse when we all find out UVA isnt the #11 team in the country.

Exactly. Just like the massive red flags that popped up in the football game against Maryland, this has a lot of similarities. Virginia basketball isn't Maryland football bad, but they are not a top 15 team in the country, and they just held us to our lowest offensive output in Carrier Dome history. How is that not worth being concerned about?

This team on a high level is obvious.

our defense will keep most teams below their season average.

our slow pace will compound that fact

we have a lot of shooters that will get hot in some games and cold in others

we won’t rebound

sloppy teams will turn it over a lot

we’ll still win 19 games but Itll be frustrating to watch

You can't drive against a packline defense. It's designed to stop that. That is all Cary can do. So he had to come out. Then you have 2 other starters who have very limited offensive games and don't score much in Sidibe and Dolezaj. So it doesn't surprise me we couldn't score and looked bad. All they had to do was guard Hughes and force him to give the ball up or shoot long contested 3's. Actually our defense wasn't bad for a team with so many freshmen.

Exactly. Just like the massive red flags that popped up in the football game against Maryland, this has a lot of similarities. Virginia basketball isn't Maryland football bad, but they are not a top 15 team in the country, and they just held us to our lowest offensive output in Carrier Dome history. How is that not worth being concerned about?

I'm extremely worried.

My favorite part of this game was that I thought Girard had a really solid handle. I honestly don't know if any other player has an ACC-level handle. I thought last year's team was the worst dribbling team I've ever seen under JB.

My other favorite part is that Marek reminds me of a perfect player if he was like our 7th guy in the rotation.

We just don't have the offensive strategy to compete at a high level in the ACC barring a huge uptick in recruiting...

It's funny, this is the same question I ask before the season starts every year. Given the offense that we are hellbent in running you need athletes who can beat their man off the bounce and/or create their own shot on a somewhat consistent basis. Unfortunately that has not been the case in recent years and it appears like it's still an issue this year.

We need to create offense in other ways. Will we be able to do that against defenses that aren't as good as Virginia's is every year? I don't know. But the answer to the question of do we have a guy who can create a shot is unequivocally no.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom