so this is the same team as last year | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

so this is the same team as last year

Sure. A team with mostly new players played another team with a lot of new players. One held the other team to the most embarrassing offensive output in 30 years. We're not talking about a well-played, hard-fought loss here. It was a historic debacle.
On the back of a historically bad defensive football game. It’s quite the time to be an orange fan.

Worst offensive game in hoops since 1945
Worst defensive game in football ever.

Same week. :(

We need to create offense in other ways. Will we be able to do that against defenses that aren't as good as Virginia's is every year? I don't know. But the answer to the question of do we have a guy who can create a shot is unequivocally no.

And there in lies the other side of the issue, if your not getting the players you need to be able to run your offense at a high level then you need to run something that fits your teams strengths. Sometimes you have square pegs, no matter how hard you try that square peg isnt fitting into the round hole.

On the back of a historically bad defensive football game. It’s quite the time to be an orange fan.

Worst offensive game in hoops since 1945
Worst defensive game in football ever.

Same week. :(

glue.gif

This wasn’t last years UVA.. (Even then, it would still be unacceptable)

They had some dude named Wandletosen or some ish out there. Kihei Clark is their second best player.

This is going to seem even worse when we all find out UVA isnt the #11 team in the country.

I mean, if you substituted last year’s UVA team into this game the final would have been like 84-28.

Curious how anyone could tell from that game that Sidibe was a bad offensive player.
... is this serious? He had no impact... theres' a reason he didn't touch the ball on offense, unless you think everyone on the team is too dumb to realise he's good? (Including boeheim because he wasnt screaming about it)

It's the same team the last several years.

When you can't recruit elite players anymore the offense of "go make a play" isn't going to work.
So go devise an offense with movement and multiple screening actions every possession. Why does JB refuse to install a real offense? Are we just going to run the same stagnant iso ball we ran the past few years?

You can't drive against a packline defense. It's designed to stop that. That is all Cary can do. So he had to come out. Then you have 2 other starters who have very limited offensive games and don't score much in Sidibe and Dolezaj. So it doesn't surprise me we couldn't score and looked bad. All they had to do was guard Hughes and force him to give the ball up or shoot long contested 3's. Actually our defense wasn't bad for a team with so many freshmen.

Dolezaj’s offensive development has been a huge disappointment. He was better as a freshman!

No movement on O. Our assist leaders had two assists. We had 7 assists total and 9 turnovers.

We shot 24% on FGs, 17% on threes and 43% at the line. Awesome.

I think Girard may be the only player that can dribble at an ACC level on our team.

I'm not sure how many contested threes we took.

I'm not sure what Carey's role is if we aren't pushing tempo.

If Buddy isn't hitting shots, he needs to sit.

We need to recruit better and have an offensive identity.

That was one of the ugliest games of basketball I've ever seen by Syracuse.

I'd also like to add that UVa's 5'9" PG out rebounded anyone on our team.

I fell asleep at some point in first half. Virginia’s brand of basketball and what they forced us into is unwatchable.

Good lord. The team missed a bunch of shots and it got it got in their heads.
Historic debacle - good stuff

Chalking that performance up to “missed shots” just isn’t accurate. We were completely incapable of manufacturing good shots, through ball movement or penetration, which is pretty important in basketball.

... is this serious? He had no impact... theres' a reason he didn't touch the ball on offense, unless you think everyone on the team is too dumb to realise he's good? (Including boeheim because he wasnt screaming about it)
Can't go by that. Our best offensive centers over the years have been denied the ball. The ball was passed to him once in the lane and he finished.

Last edited:
Chalking that performance up to “missed shots” just isn’t accurate. We were completely incapable of manufacturing good shots, through ball movement or penetration, which is pretty important in basketball.

Penetration is important in a variety of endeavors.

I fell asleep at some point in first half. Virginia’s brand of basketball and what they forced us into is unwatchable.
They didn’t force SU into anything. That’s the same offense from the last six seasons, but with increasingly less capable players.

Do we have a single player who can create his own shot?

Maybe I'll give Elijah a 0.5 on that, but otherwise no one.
The problem is that they don’t help each other enough. Can’t rely on the creating their own all the time. The need to move more, pick more, pass more and box out.

Bennett can flat out coach no doubt and I'm hoping that the freshmen and Carey learn from this and it shows them what they have to do to get better. Not at all thrilled with this offense whatsoever but I am willing to see this as a mulligan as long as they improve as a team and pass a lot better with movement and not just random running around movement, with a purpose.

The problem is that they don’t help each other enough. Can’t rely on the creating their own all the time. The need to move more, pick more, pass more and box out.

Isn’t that coaching?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom