So, we actually turned our noses up at Tremont Waters? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

So, we actually turned our noses up at Tremont Waters?

Do you go to the recruiting forum? Literally every guy we don't get is because of a "bag"

That’s different isn’t it than accusing SU of it? Why defend other programs yet accuse SU, isn’t that pretty convoluted? Some of these programs , coaches are on tape having paid players - but of course not all of them. Your basic premise anyways is to rip on SU and their recruiting isn’t it? So if it means defending other programs and accusing SU, to make your constant point, you think that’s just fine.

That’s different isn’t it than accusing SU of it? Why defend other programs yet accuse SU, isn’t that pretty convoluted? Some of these programs , coaches are on tape having paid players - but of course not all of them. Your basic premise anyways is to rip on SU and their recruiting isn’t it? So if it means defending other programs and accusing SU, to make your constant point, you think that’s just fine.

I didn't defend anybody, wasn't ripping Just showing how dumb it is to say it over and over.

I think Carey is as good as Jason Hart defensively.
If he can just slow the hell down on offense, he could be outstanding next year.
He and Goodine could be a really good athletic pair of guards, better than Triche and Scoop at the same point in their careers.

Let me add to this: after looking up their numbers, maybe I spoke too soon. If these 2 guys play this well, along with Buddy, we are going to have a tremendous backcourt.

Brandon Triche as a freshman was really pretty good:
50% from the field, 40% from 3, 63% from the line, 3 assists, 2 TOs per game
Played 21 minutes a game, averaged 8 points.

Scoop was a sophomore, and he averaged 9 points in 22 minutes a game.
He wasn't quite the shooter that Triche was, but he put up more shots, and more contested shots.

Triche drove well and picked his spots for open jumpers. Scoop liked to take those jumpers from the corner and was willing to put up a contested shot, while Brandon usually made the safe play.

Scoop was the wildcard, but he still shot 52% from the floor and 39% from three in only his second season. Scoop averaged over 4 assists per game, and more than 1 steal per game.

I think those 2 guys, Goodine and Carey, can be that good next year, or close to it.
I don't think Carey is going to match Triche's shooting numbers, or shot selection, but he certainly can score.
I think Goodine can be a Scoop kind of player for us.

But 2010 was Scoop's sophomore year, after a redshirt year. His freshman year, he only shot 28% from three, but still 46% from the floor and over 80% from the line. He only averaged 5.5 points in 21 minutes, though, in 2008.

I think if you look at our guards, and we can get 8 points or so out of Goodine and Carey, and 10-12 out of Buddy, and maybe 4 points or so off the bench from Girard, that's all the production we'll probably need,

Hughes is good for 15 a game again, and if Guerrier starts, he's probably good for another 10-12 points. Marek will probably average around 6 as a utility man, with a bit more assertiveness, and we'll likely get about 6 points and 8 rebounds collectively from 3 guys at center, and hopefully at least 2-3 blocks.

That's probably a little conservative because one of the young guards other than Buddy is probably going to be closer to double digits, and Buddy might go for 14 a game. I'm trying to be conservative. I didn't even mention Braswell's contribution if Brissett decides to leave.

Without Battle, Frank and Brissett, I still think there's enough talent to score 65-70 PPG on offense. Maybe more because I think the ball will move better; there will be fewer ball stoppers on offense, and I think we're going to play faster as well.

I'll say this about Scoop...he worked his butt off improving his shot.

Carey just has to learn he's not in HS anymore regarding the depth of his drives and trapping himself. It was like he was Dash from the Incredibles and his teammates were like the Sloths working at the DMV on Zootopia. Hopefully next year this changes and these guys can be closer to the same page.

SU wasn’t the only team with a need for a PG who passed on Waters.

The bag thing does get overplayed by some posters for every missed recruit, but that doesn’t mean that for some players it’s not legit.

Last edited:
I didn't defend anybody, wasn't ripping Just showing how dumb it is to say it over and over.

It's over the top for sure. Maybe, some of these young stud type players don't see themselves playing in JB's system, etc. and with so many other viable options, no longer giving SU much consideration?

JB certainly hasn't forgotten how to coach, etc., but where his age likely plays a factor is a on the all critical recruiting trail. As others have mentioned, it's very hard work, and at his age, I can't believe he enjoys doing it, especially with all the sucking up, etc. that is required today with these primadonna kids, wanting/expected to be treated like rock stars even though they have yet to even sell one record. I think JB struggles with playing this game and adapting with it, as he doesn't appear to be a guy that is sucking up to anyone, let alone a kid with zero accomplishments of any real significance. I think this is where Hop is missed the most, he was much more at ease playing it...and doing it.

Dad wanted a staff job and yes, probably a bag. Oh, and he was a s e x offender. But yeah, anything for a title.

One - it was a joke.

Two - just did some research. Brunson's father was acquitted of charges.

Three - why was he never on staff at Villanova?

One - Ok.

Two - Doing research would also reveal that it was a very shady situation and he was being a scumbag, whether he got away with it or not.

Three - Because that ship sailed with the arrest. See Dunphy, Fran.

Last edited:
Waters recruitment was shady.
We were mentioned as one of the first schools to contact him after he decommited from Georgetown.
Then all of a sudden he went from considering Kansas, Syracuse, Duke to LSU.
To quote the Million Dollar Man Ted DiBiase everybody has a price. We didn’t touch that price.

Can we remind Greg he played the “amoeba”, and did just fine in the NBA as a scrappy defender?

Just my take and could be way off, but if I was a parent or recruit I think I’d be worried about SU’s offense more than anything.

IMO, the zone is only a problem indirectly if we’re recruiting for it first and foremost.

Go back to bringing in Flynn’s and Devendorf’s and Harris’s and playing offense first, IMO. Use the zone to cover up poor man defenders that can score, and to confuse stupid teams. Stop recruiting pterodactyl’s that can’t pass, shoot, or dribble.
The aomeba defense mixed man and zone at the same time often in a single possession depending on what the offensive set. It adjusted on the fly with guys that could play both. It adapted.

The aomeba defense mixed man and zone at the same time often in a single possession depending on what the offensive set. It adjusted on the fly with guys that could play both. It adapted.

Ok. Not what they were playing in the NBA. How did Greg ever manage to make it?

Ok. Not what they were playing in the NBA. How did Greg ever manage to make it?
Not many left handed physical guards around who can shoot. Agree with you 100% on the offense except that I don't think it's fixable under JB.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom