so we beat up the coaches for this? | Syracusefan.com

so we beat up the coaches for this?

upperdeck

Living Legend
I understand not liking some of the decisions. many of the same decisions that many here cant even agree about and several I think we pretty much do agree about. But there were hundreds of decisions made during the game, most of them taking place in a time frame that this board of people is not prepared to make a decision about in the 10-15 secs you have to make the decision.

the game wasn't lost because we went for two, or because we didn't go on fourth down. and yes those decisions might have given us a better chance to upset a good team. We lost because on about 6 plays the better athletes beat the scheme we had to throw at them.

its like when you are in HS and you played with the little kids around town. it doesnt matter what angle they took or how many try to catch you there was always away to get loose and run away.

if you took away our two best rcvrs and their two best we win the game. Kiffin made a bunch of calls today that were just as dumb but his "best" is better than our "best" and sometimes thats all it takes,

if the kids had not dropped 4-5 passes and missed a dozen tackles maybe the coaches decisions dont matter.

if the back side end does not twice fail to cover the back side two big plays dont happen, if the best cover corner does not give 10 yd cushion to a TE a big play does not happen, if the hiesman QB blind left hand throw goes to us instead of space for an INT and our rushed qb throw goes to space instead of a LB who knows what happens. if the hold on the punt gets called and the hold on our return does not who knows what happens..

all I know is that the accuscore says we would only win 10% of the time vs the #2 team. I dont think USC really could play much better and we know we could so lets hope we show it starting next week

I understand not liking some of the decisions. many of the same decisions that many here cant even agree about and several I think we pretty much do agree about. But there were hundreds of decisions made during the game, most of them taking place in a time frame that this board of people is not prepared to make a decision about in the 10-15 secs you have to make the decision.

the game wasn't lost because we went for two, or because we didn't go on fourth down. and yes those decisions might have given us a better chance to upset a good team. We lost because on about 6 plays the better athletes beat the scheme we had to throw at them.

its like when you are in HS and you played with the little kids around town. it doesnt matter what angle they took or how many try to catch you there was always away to get loose and run away.

if you took away our two best rcvrs and their two best we win the game. Kiffin made a bunch of calls today that were just as dumb but his "best" is better than our "best" and sometimes thats all it takes,

if the kids had not dropped 4-5 passes and missed a dozen tackles maybe the coaches decisions dont matter.

if the back side end does not twice fail to cover the back side two big plays dont happen, if the best cover corner does not give 10 yd cushion to a TE a big play does not happen, if the hiesman QB blind left hand throw goes to us instead of space for an INT and our rushed qb throw goes to space instead of a LB who knows what happens. if the hold on the punt gets called and the hold on our return does not who knows what happens..

all I know is that the accuscore says we would only win 10% of the time vs the #2 team. I dont think USC really could play much better and we know we could so lets hope we show it starting next week
I never argued those stupid calls cost them the game. they hurt their chances to win though.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

We had the ball, we were driving, had a chance to take the lead, and instead of going for two makable yards we gave it back to Matt Barkley, etc...with the strategy of trotting out another punter.

I really like what Marrone has done with the program and think he's a PR savvy guy (it takes some brass as 42 would say to poop all over the last recruits from the last coach and then prop up said coach's QB) but that punt was dumb.

Actually I like how the coaches "seem" to be just letting the players play this year - up tempo offense, aggressive D, and it "seems" that it's more in the hands of the players to win or lose the game this year over previous years. Just my impression.

So far we were the better team against NW and played competitively against a top 5 team - how many times last year we couldn't march down the field and score - offensive production is very encouraging this year and playing without our best offensive lineman either - however it must start now - we need to win from here on out or this discussion is moot!

Exactly. No one is saying that the idiotic choices by Marrone and staff discussed in another thread cost SU the game. However, there comes a point where the coaching decisions need to at least not hinder the team's chances at success. Even had both 4th down conversions been unsuccessful, the resultant faith in the team would have been worth the effort. Faith in your offense to get the necessary yards on a pressure play (that will come back to help them later in the schedule) and faith in the defense to get the necessary stop if the play was unsuccessful.

The punting on the USC 32 was so ludicrous is was astonishing.

No coach is perfect and talent hides some faults but overall I'm pretty happy with Marrone. He is a little too conservative for me regarding his decisions regarding when to punt or go for it but on the other hand he isn't that conservative when it comes to opening up the offense and having an aggressive defense. I'm not too thrilled with Rene as the punt returner and from my side of the sideline he seems to be content on having a guy that can catch all the punts in the air and be content with that. I have not really seen the others and how they do catching punts but I would like to see a high reward high risk guy doing it if SU does have one. I love what Marrone is doing recruiting wise, the smart way he has built a lot of relationships new and old.

most of his decisions are based on the fact we as fans only look at scoring decisions.. he tends to make decision based on upside downside and how he thinks he can win by his D making plays.. lately the D has not been making the big stops. i would not have punted the first one.. but he expects a better punt and then the D to give him the ball back inside the 50.

hacket makes a dumb call to go for it on 4th expecting his offense to make it and his D to stop us if it didnt.. turns out his offense didnt do it and West drops a huge first down pass and we throw an INT .. worked for him even being a bad decision.. sometimes that how it works. if we punt and USC give it right back its a non issue.

I agree with smilinBob.
Overall, you have to like the direction of the program -- adding JUCOs, better depth in the recruiting classes, changes this year to the offense, Shafer's defense, improvement in the LBs and DBs, toughness & size. If you credit the coaches for all that, you can also take your shots at decisions to punt or kick FGs (Rutgers).
We don't have the best punting/coverage units -- so sure, give Nassib & crew a chance to keep moving the ball.

most of his decisions are based on the fact we as fans only look at scoring decisions.. he tends to make decision based on upside downside and how he thinks he can win by his D making plays.. lately the D has not been making the big stops. ......if we punt and USC give it right back its a non issue.

Part of that calculation -- USC has a top QB, RB, and two fantastic WRs. So, you figure that into the upside/downside and try to keep our guys on offense.

Part of that calculation -- USC has a top QB, RB, and two fantastic WRs. So, you figure that into the upside/downside and try to keep our guys on offense.

Agreed, it was a flow of the game thing as well, our D just struggled and I wanted to keep them off the field along with to continue moving the ball but maybe Marrone didn't have a 2 yard play as he saw the offense fail on two 2 pt tries, a lot of this stuff has to go on with his thinking. He did show some faith in his punter to pin USC down but that obviously wasn't executed correctly. Damn, USC has some talent and that Oline of theirs is pretty good too and the last time we had them pinned the Shark got his first pick. Maybe that's what Marrone was thinking and it backfired but when people, not you, say he doesn't have faith in the offense it does bug me because to me he had faith in his special teams/punter and then his D. It turned out being the wrong call (but we don't know if SU would have made the first down either) and I agree with most of you, I wanted them to go for it as well.

most of his decisions are based on the fact we as fans only look at scoring decisions.. he tends to make decision based on upside downside and how he thinks he can win by his D making plays.. lately the D has not been making the big stops. i would not have punted the first one.. but he expects a better punt and then the D to give him the ball back inside the 50.

hacket makes a dumb call to go for it on 4th expecting his offense to make it and his D to stop us if it didnt.. turns out his offense didnt do it and West drops a huge first down pass and we throw an INT .. worked for him even being a bad decision.. sometimes that how it works. if we punt and USC give it right back its a non issue.

Right...and channeling my inner Milly...we punt it hoping to trap USC inside the 1 (we didn't) to go 3 and out (we know what happened) to get a punt to a spot further away from the goalline then we were on that 4th and 2 (since their punter looked like Dave Jennings out there).

Go get the 2 damned yards. I really hope Coach Marrone grows from that.

We can't do anything about the physicals aspects of the game during the game. We can't change how good Barkley, Lee and Woods are. But the mental decision making process could certainly ne changed as can the strategic decision to do things like using 3 big slow guys to protect the punter. We are putting ourselves at a huge numbers disadvantage downfield.

We are getting there as to the physical part in the field, mot too sure about the decision making. We are putting the kids in a position to win, then not allowing them to actually do it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

We can't do anything about the physicals aspects of the game during the game. We can't change how good Barkley, Lee and Woods are. But the mental decision making process could certainly ne changed as can the strategic decision to do things like using 3 big slow guys to protect the punter. We are putting ourselves at a huge numbers disadvantage downfield.

We are getting there as to the physical part in the field, mot too sure about the decision making. We are putting the kids in a position to win, then not allowing them to actually do it.

When I scanned other games, I saw most teams put at least one big slow guy in the formation to protect the punter. Those big guys can discourage/bruise any opponents trying to block a kick.
One OL would be plenty; and it might help to put Broyld and a TE in that formation to force the other team to honor a potential fake.
Agree about the decisions to punt or go for 4th and short. We have an offense this year with a senior QB and experience in the skill positions -- this would be the time to try to keep the offense on the field. Not saying be crazy in our part of the field, but from the 45 yd line in, we should be thinking first about trying to convert and keep the ball.

if you dont put big guys than the other teams puts big guys in to run the little guys over..

there are other things we should be doing that could fix the return game that would probably help us more than fixing some coverage issues

You aren't referring to the catch when the defensive player held West and the ref didn't call it - that was terrible.

if you dont put big guys than the other teams puts big guys in to run the little guys over..

there are other things we should be doing that could fix the return game that would probably help us more than fixing some coverage issues

Why doesn't everyone do it then? I don't remember who we have on the LOS, but if is 5 other big guys, then that means we have 8 big guys and the punter. Puts a lot on the other 2 guys.

Why can't we use a normal punt formation?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom