So what did we learn from the spring game? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

So what did we learn from the spring game?

I disagree. As the article noted, invite the youth organizations in the area and move it from Friday night. The last thing I want to do is go out after work.
And net like an extra 500 people?

It's a very Syracuse phenomenon to look for reasons why anything and everything is terrible.

Spring Games are a dying concept everywhere. Coaches hate them, fan interest outside of us weirdos is lukewarm, etc.
Disagree. Think Babers traditionally likes remaining low key in the spring, and the AD just doesnt put the effort towards fan facing events like this.

Zero advertising and thousands still came.

We learned little to nothing from the glorified 2 hand touch exhibition.

Yeah, it lost my attention quickly, I turned to Yanks and NHL. If you know me (and you do better than most) that’s just not like me.

I don’t know if we’re forced at gunpoint to have this event by the ACC? If not, I’d rather we just have a regular practice because I think that’s what Dino would rather do.

That’s a heck of a turnout for a top-secret event that nobody heard about.
Im a rabid fan and saw nothing about the spring game until maybe a week ago or so

Or it's just diminishing returns and fans aren't all that interested in exhibitions and glorified pep rallies.

Ehhhh it should be more of a spring fan fest…..

I mean Colorado had 35,000k? Obviously a new coach but still

Plenty of schools are putting on spring games and getting solid attendance

The spring game IS NOT about the game

It’s about building community engagement, something that Syracuse SEVERELY lacks in.

I mean not allowing the kids to go on the field and meet the players?? Do you know what allowing those kids on the field does? It’s such an awesome moment and truly builds lifelong fans.

I don’t care about the game, it’s pointless. It’s all about having a fun environment that engages people to consider buying season tickets etc

And spring games aren’t going away, the ACC just started requiring them last season. The purpose of that is to help build brand identity with each program which also helps build the ACC brand.

That idea to make the spring game for P5 schools an exhibition game against an FCS opponent is growing on me.

Half of the event seemed like it was the third team offense against the third team defense. Watching a lot of players who have zero or almost zero chance to play in a real game just isn’t that interesting.

Hope this idea gains traction.

I watched at least part of 4 or 5 ACC spring games. They were all snoozefests. I bet the ratings were terrible.

Scrimmages against FCS schools would get a lot more people in the stands and watching on TV. I want to watch the starters play most of the game. Hopefully the game is a blowout and the subs get a chance to play some too. But the closer the spring game is to a real game, the more fan interest there will be. It will be a hell of a lot more compelling. Even if the game is only close for a quarter.

Colgate, are you down for this?

That idea to make the spring game for P5 schools an exhibition game against an FCS opponent is growing on me.

Half of the event seemed like it was the third team offense against the third team defense. Watching a lot of players who have zero or almost zero chance to play in a real game just isn’t that interesting.

Hope this idea gains traction.

I watched at least part of 4 or 5 ACC spring games. They were all snoozefests. I bet the ratings were terrible.

Scrimmages against FCS schools would get a lot more people in the stands and watching on TV. I want to watch the starters play most of the game. Hopefully the game is a blowout and the subs get a chance to play some too. But the closer the spring game is to a real game, the more fan interest there will be. It will be a hell of a lot more compelling. Even if the game is only close for a quarter.

Colgate, are you down for this?
The whole reason Hugh Freeze suggested it in the first place.

Ehhhh it should be more of a spring fan fest…..

I mean Colorado had 35,000k? Obviously a new coach but still

Plenty of schools are putting on spring games and getting solid attendance

The spring game IS NOT about the game

It’s about building community engagement, something that Syracuse SEVERELY lacks in.

I mean not allowing the kids to go on the field and meet the players?? Do you know what allowing those kids on the field does? It’s such an awesome moment and truly builds lifelong fans.

I don’t care about the game, it’s pointless. It’s all about having a fun environment that engages people to consider buying season tickets etc

And spring games aren’t going away, the ACC just started requiring them last season. The purpose of that is to help build brand identity with each program which also helps build the ACC brand.
Maybe the Syracuse Athletics department is just bad. Or maybe they have data to suggest they don't get very many activations from giving stuff out for free or don't get many families buying season tickets for whatever reason. I really don't know.

That said, creating lifelong fans? Would love to know how many kids who had posters signed after the 2012 spring game are now season ticket holders. I doubt it's many. Maybe I'm wrong, but call me skeptical.

Disagree. Think Babers traditionally likes remaining low key in the spring, and the AD just doesnt put the effort towards fan facing events like this.

Zero advertising and thousands still came.
They would get more if they just moved it back to Saturday as well. People are willing to drive a bit more from the area mid day on the weekend. On a Friday night not so much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom