So what do we know about UConn? | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

So what do we know about UConn?

It is kind of like what our games with PSU were like from '68-'86. Sadly, we had only one win and most were not even remotely close. We considered them a rival while they considered us a speed bump. A speed bump so low that it was basically flat road. Kind of like when you hear a sound on the highway and wonder "did I just hit something? Nah, probably not."

Nutmeg University at Storrs is basically now us in that analogy
True. But we had earned our bones. SU was a school who played at the highest level with on and off success. We were not grandfathered into a BCS conference based on no success.

Agreed. It's only going to work for them if they're getting first downs on the ground. Then we'll have a problem.

Just doing some stat browsing Utah State had 550 yards of offense and 31 first downs. UConn averaging 405 including a 1AA school.
They would have routed USU if there QB didn't get hurt. They brought in the true freshman , 1st game on the road and still almost won the game after giving up 24 points in the 2nd quarter. Probably would have won if the refs didn't give USU the worst PI I've ever seen, gave them the game.

I would expect SU to play pretty conservative to start and Mora will have schemed some things to keep it close for maybe a quarter (maybe) - but after that SU will methodically pull away.

I actually feel better (not that I needed to) after watching those CCSU ‘highlights’ - Central had a short field goal blocked and then failed to get any points on a drive where they were inside the 10 yard line - and those were when UConn only had 7 points. CCSU should’ve been leading at the half.
I might open with running plays followed by a trick play with Tucker throwing the ball. They will be focused on stopping the run. Lure them into packing the line. Why play conservative against a weak opponent? Keep them off balanced.

I might open with running plays followed by a trick play with Tucker throwing the ball. They will be focused on stopping the run. Lure them into packing the line. Why play conservative against a weak opponent? Keep them off balanced.

Nah. Save any and all trickeration for use against an opponent where we might need it.
Like Purdue.

If we can't steamroll UCann't straight up, then we've got worries.

I'm not saying don't use motion, misdirection, RPO's, etc.
In fact - I would LOVE it if we play-actioned on the very first play, when they 110% expect a handoff to Tucker.
But, even that I would wanna save for next week.

True. But we had earned our bones.
Agreed but that was not my point. My point is that during that 18 year stretch, we considered the SU-PSU game to be a rivalry while PSU and their fans did not. And they were right because it takes two sides for a rivalry to be real. That metaphor can be applied when anybody talks about SU-UConn as a "rivalry". It simply isn't.

Is CCSU any good? They missed a kick and had a kick blocked.

CCSU averaged 4.7 yards per play
UConn averaged 5.8 yards per play.

Lousiville would prob beat CCSU by a ton.

The game with CCSU was 7-3 until UConn needed a 6 minute drive to go up 14-3 with two minutes left in the 3rd qtr after a chip shot fg miss on the previous possession by CCSU.

They had a few winning seasons sprinkled in with being a below average FCS program over the past decade.

They would have routed USU if there QB didn't get hurt. They brought in the true freshman , 1st game on the road and still almost won the game after giving up 24 points in the 2nd quarter. Probably would have won if the refs didn't give USU the worst PI I've ever seen, gave them the game.
It should be noted that Utah State's QB was 20-29 for 281 yards and 3 TDs.

It should be noted that Utah State also ran for 261 yards.

Uconn passed for 119 yards, with 1 TD and 2 picks.

They did run for 245 yards.

Played a significant part of the game using 6 OL. It looked to me as though Utah State used their normal defensive set against this super heavy set and got pretty abused by it. I think UConn's success running was more about how stupid and conceited the Utah State coaching staff was than about how great UConn was running the ball. That said, UConn did a really nice job with their heavy sets and props to them.

But total yards was Utah State 542 to UConn's 364. Not sure Roberson would have made a big difference. He was 1-2 for 10 yards passing and had 3 carries for 8 yards running when he got hurt. Roberson probably would have done better than 12-31 passing (that is what Zion did) but I am pretty sure he is not a very good QB either. They moved the chains running the ball and once Utah State brought in an extra lineman to offset the extra lineman UConn was using, it was game over.

That is why the score was 14-0 UConn after the first quarter and 31-6 after that.

It should be noted that Utah State's QB was 20-29 for 281 yards and 3 TDs.

It should be noted that Utah State also ran for 261 yards.

Uconn passed for 119 yards, with 1 TD and 2 picks.

They did run for 245 yards.

Played a significant part of the game using 6 OL. It looked to me as though Utah State used their normal defensive set against this super heavy set and got pretty abused by it. I think UConn's success running was more about how stupid and conceited the Utah State coaching staff was than about how great UConn was running the ball. That said, UConn did a really nice job with their heavy sets and props to them.

But total yards was Utah State 542 to UConn's 364. Not sure Roberson would have made a big difference. He was 1-2 for 10 yards passing and had 3 carries for 8 yards running when he got hurt. Roberson probably would have done better than 12-31 passing (that is what Zion did) but I am pretty sure he is not a very good QB either. They moved the chains running the ball and once Utah State brought in an extra lineman to offset the extra lineman UConn was using, it was game over.

That is why the score was 14-0 UConn after the first quarter and 31-6 after that.

I think a lot of the yardage disparity happened when USU grabbed the momentum with the frosh QB getting shaky. That's when they scored 24 points and I thought UCONN was going to get rolled up, but they didn't. In fact, they stoned USU the entire second half and the frosh QB made two scoring drives that resulted in field goals and made the score 24-20. The subsequent series they stopped USU only to have the refs give them a horrible PI call which resulted in them getting a touchdown to all but end the game. I was shocked and impressed that they didn't fold up when the frosh QB went in and USU scored 24 points in the second quarter. Cuse better not have their heads in the clouds, this is no walk over.

Is CCSU any good? They missed a kick and had a kick blocked.

CCSU averaged 4.7 yards per play
UConn averaged 5.8 yards per play.

Lousiville would prob beat CCSU by a ton.
I don't know how good CCSU is. I looked at their 2021 season and they finished strong so maybe they were looking at 2022 as being a big year for them(?). I don't think UCONN ran any kind of offense, just work on blocking technique and simple passing plays. Anything else they would keep off tape for this game.

I don't know how good CCSU is. I looked at their 2021 season and they finished strong so maybe they were looking at 2022 as being a big year for them(?). I don't think UCONN ran any kind of offense, just work on blocking technique and simple passing plays. Anything else they would keep off tape for this game.

You are overtly bullish on UConn this year. I think that sums this up. No coach is risking losing to a team like CCSU by going vanilla a whole game. It very well could have been 10-7 until the end of the third when UConn got separation with their second TD.

There is tape from the Utah St game to utilize. At this point its a stretch. They have a good RB and TE along with a real coach. They also have 6 turnovers in 2 games against poor opponents.

I think a lot of the yardage disparity happened when USU grabbed the momentum with the frosh QB getting shaky. That's when they scored 24 points and I thought UCONN was going to get rolled up, but they didn't. In fact, they stoned USU the entire second half and the frosh QB made two scoring drives that resulted in field goals and made the score 24-20. The subsequent series they stopped USU only to have the refs give them a horrible PI call which resulted in them getting a touchdown to all but end the game. I was shocked and impressed that they didn't fold up when the frosh QB went in and USU scored 24 points in the second quarter. Cuse better not have their heads in the clouds, this is no walk over.
I give UConn props for not getting blown out. It would have been easy to do on the road, given how many games they have been destroyed in the recent past.

It will be really interesting to see how UConn tries to defend us. I could see them shutting down our running game but it is going to have to happen by putting 8 in the box and putting their really shaky looking CBs on islands most of the game. I don't think that is going to end well but it is their only chance. Hope Shrader has an awful day passing or our WRs drop the easy touchdown throws going their way.

I can't see them scoring much on us but maybe McDonald will really struggle and they can attack his area and do some damage. If they score 10 on us, I will be impressed.

UConn is dogchit and doesn't belong on the same field with us. If it is within 25 points it will be because we took our foot off the gas early.

You are overtly bullish on UConn this year. I think that sums this up. No coach is risking losing to a team like CCSU by going vanilla a whole game. It very well could have been 10-7 until the end of the third when UConn got separation with their second TD.

There is tape from the Utah St game to utilize. At this point its a stretch. They have a good RB and TE along with a real coach. They also have 6 turnovers in 2 games against poor opponents.
I don't think any coach is going to show plays against an FCS opponent if they don't have to. I think Mora wanted his team to grind out the win, build character.

I think Tony White vs a true freshman QB is a very unfair matchup.

On offense we'll see a relatively balanced attack. I think Anae knows he has an opportunity to get the passing game even more in flow. Let some of those guys with the bad drops redeem themselves. Tucker will steam roll.

UConn is dogchit and doesn't belong on the same field with us. If it is within 25 points it will be because we took our foot off the gas early.

I'm going to go across the grain a little bit -- even though I agree foundationally with your point.

But I'll be more interested in us being comfortably ahead early in the game than I am worried about the final margin. What I'd LIKE most to see us Syracuse come out and score quickly, then play from ahead with a comfortable lead, enabling us to get the reserves in some time late in the 3rd quarter. Win with ease, and send their stupid fans scurrying toward the exits like vermin early in the 2nd half.

That, and to avoid any significant injuries.

If we're up by 3+ TDs through most of the game and playing comfortably from ahead, I won't care if the final margin is 17 points [just for example], under the line.

Last edited:
I give UConn props for not getting blown out. It would have been easy to do on the road, given how many games they have been destroyed in the recent past.

It will be really interesting to see how UConn tries to defend us. I could see them shutting down our running game but it is going to have to happen by putting 8 in the box and putting their really shaky looking CBs on islands most of the game. I don't think that is going to end well but it is their only chance. Hope Shrader has an awful day passing or our WRs drop the easy touchdown throws going their way.

I can't see them scoring much on us but maybe McDonald will really struggle and they can attack his area and do some damage. If they score 10 on us, I will be impressed.
I also think they are going to have a huge crowd, a lot of walk up on Saturday. They are opening their RV lot on Friday afternoon and I think a p[arty will ensue.

I think you've wandered and drunk some UCONN dirty water.

No matter. We won't need to talk, you'll see it on the field. I don't think it will be close, at all.

Thank you exactly

I don't think any coach is going to show plays against an FCS opponent if they don't have to. I think Mora wanted his team to grind out the win, build character.
They have a freshman QB and two injured WR and a decent RB. Everyone knows what they are about. There's nothing to hide.

another thing to remember about this game: U Conn still doesn't have a defensive coordinator, they are doing a "committee" approach. that didn't kill them against an FCS team, but Utah State put up 542 yards of offense on them. have fun making adjustments to Tucker and Shrader with inferior talent and with that committee approach

They have a freshman QB and two injured WR and a decent RB. Everyone knows what they are about. There's nothing to hide.
They will have plays and sets that have not been seen.

All I’m saying is everyone should pump the brakes a bit.

UConn is out for blood against us, they are going to play up a level. This is their Super Bowl. They hate us more than any team on schedule and they really want to play spoiler. Opening their lots for RVs Friday night for the first time ever in the history of UConn. Opening the parking lots 2 hours earlier than normal.

We beat Louisville pretty easily, but we don’t even know what Louisville is. All we know is they have Malik Cunningham. For all we know they are terrible and not as good as people said they were.

I think we win but I think we’re going to be on the edge of our seats a little more than we would like

another thing to remember about this game: U Conn still doesn't have a defensive coordinator, they are doing a "committee" approach. that didn't kill them against an FCS team, but Utah State put up 542 yards of offense on them. have fun making adjustments to Tucker and Shrader with inferior talent and with that committee approach
Mora is calling the D, that's what he said.