So what do we know about UConn? | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

So what do we know about UConn?

Their fans hate us way more than any other school. Even BC who went out of the way to block them ever joining a conference. He probably gave the wrong answer per that fanbase and its not like this is it unless we decide to schedule them again there are 3 more of these.

I went to the last game at the Rent it was a rivalry game to those people they don't act like that towards other schools.

We are going to bring a ton of people to their stadium. I don't think they will bring enough fans for it to have any extra buzz next year. But if they brought 4 or 5 thousand to the dome it would feel like one.
If there are 25k there Saturday night it'll be because our fans showed out.

I expect an announced crowd of 22k with 4k being Cuse fans.

I listened to their radio guy this afternoon and you would think they might make the college football playoffs. He said Mora has done a great job upgrading the talent level using the portal. They feel they should win the game against SU. I do think it might be closer than you think unless the puppies turn the ball over. I think we will be a little disappointed in the final score. Something like 28-13.
Their fanbase is understanably high as a kite. I mean, they won a game. The opponent matters not.

Their fanbase is understanably high as a kite. I mean, they won a game. The opponent matters not.
Yeah, it's understandable. We are doing the same thing. In my opinion, more understandably. But, the bottom line is they are feeling optimistic about their team, just as we are. I am expecting us to dominate from the opening of the game. We have a roster full of P5 players and top notch coaches.

teams that run for 250 a game give people fits, if you dont get some scores to make them get out of the game plan. if you told me we struggled to hold them to 200 I would not be surprised. If they do that the possessions go down and the way we grind ed out scores we could dominate and win 27-10 and never feel comfortable.
They ran well against a mountain west team that lost 55-0 to bama and a fcs team. Bfd.

I just feel we under perform when we have games that we are massively favored like this one.

UConn is sneaky and I think we need to be careful.

I’m hopeful that the coaches have kept the kids focused on UConn and not peeking forward to Purdue.

Need to win this one and than that Purdue game becomes huge
Totally agree.

I just feel we under perform when we have games that we are massively favored like this one.

UConn is sneaky and I think we need to be careful.

I’m hopeful that the coaches have kept the kids focused on UConn and not peeking forward to Purdue.

Need to win this one and than that Purdue game becomes huge
What’s the through line here?

I think it’s probably that we’ve had 25 years of pretty bad to mediocre football. Bad to mediocre football teams can’t overlook anyone.

Luckily, this team is good and UConn is bad ;)

UConn played basically even for 3 quarters with an FCS team that went 4-7 last year. In one of the weakest conferences in FCS to boot.

Utah State rolled up 542 yards and 31 first downs on them.

I get that people are saddled with 20 years of SU football baggage, but we're going to stomp these clowns.

UConn played basically even for 3 quarters with an FCS team that went 4-7 last year. In one of the weakest conferences in FCS to boot.

I get that people are saddled with 20 years of SU football baggage, but we're going to stomp these clowns.

They also turned it over 3x in both those games against much weaker defenses. Against a better defense they could easily double that.

Scooch...I dunno...tell us how you REALLY feel!!!:)

It makes sense that they feel confident, because their fanbase is comprised of one of the largest collection of delusional morons out there.

It's going to be fun to curb stomp them Saturday.

It makes sense that they feel confident, because their fanbase is comprised of one of the largest collection of delusional morons out there.

It's going to be fun to curb stomp them Saturday.
Please don't let this game be another 2019 Maryland letdown and meltdown.

Been shouting this from the mountains all week. Heard someone say “Uconn has an ACC RB, they’re going to give us fits” They have 1 ACC caliber player, and he’s going to give us fits? We just played an actual ACC TEAM, that is full of high level athletes including one of the most dangerous QBs in all of college football and dominated them from the opening whistle. Like you said Utah State had almost 550 yards and 31 first downs, CCSU was competitive with them until late into the 3rd quarter. Unless we turn the ball over 5 times, this isn’t going to be a competitive football game.

I would expect SU to play pretty conservative to start and Mora will have schemed some things to keep it close for maybe a quarter (maybe) - but after that SU will methodically pull away.

I actually feel better (not that I needed to) after watching those CCSU ‘highlights’ - Central had a short field goal blocked and then failed to get any points on a drive where they were inside the 10 yard line - and those were when UConn only had 7 points. CCSU should’ve been leading at the half.

Been shouting this from the mountains all week. Heard someone say “Uconn has an ACC RB, they’re going to give us fits” They have 1 ACC caliber player, and he’s going to give us fits? We just played an actual ACC TEAM, that is full of high level athletes including one of the most dangerous QBs in all of college football and dominated them from the opening whistle. Like you said Utah State had almost 550 yards and 31 first downs, CCSU was competitive with them until late into the 3rd quarter. Unless we turn the ball over 5 times, this isn’t going to be a competitive football game.

Not to mention this was a game that is one of those you can't slip up games if you want to go bowling. Weak opponent means little when you factor a difficult schedule that has zero margin of error against weaker opponents. Hard to see the team slipping up in a must win game.

And if we do what we did last week -- i.e., move the sticks, extend drives, etc. -- then I'm not worried about them rushing for 250. Because they won't have the ball.

This isn't going to be a ground and pound game -- that's what they're going to attempt to do to slow us down, but it isn't going to work. We'll feel comfortable from the jump. We're too experienced.

I understand the rush to conservative caution, but I don't believe this thread is going to age well.

Agreed. It's only going to work for them if they're getting first downs on the ground. Then we'll have a problem.

Just doing some stat browsing Utah State had 550 yards of offense and 31 first downs. UConn averaging 405 including a 1AA school.

It's fine he's not a big rivalry guy because SU and UConn are not football rivals. It takes more than a forced 8 year series to make a rivalry.
I cannot Like this post enough. That’s exactly right. UCT isn’t a football rival. They aren’t anything.

Last edited:
I cannot Like this post enough. That’s exactly right. UCT isn’t a football rival. They aren’t anything.
It is kind of like what our games with PSU were like from '68-'86. Sadly, we had only one win and most were not even remotely close. We considered them a rival while they considered us a speed bump. A speed bump so low that it was basically flat road. Kind of like when you hear a sound on the highway and wonder "did I just hit something? Nah, probably not."

Nutmeg University at Storrs is basically now us in that analogy