So what do we know about UConn? | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

So what do we know about UConn?

You really cannot believe this stuff...they may get 25K in there with 5K Cuse fans.
A good gauge will be to see how many RV' show up tomorrow. Mora is an easy guy to buy in to, I would think.

No great Wizard, like in the plays and sets that are on tape from their first 2 games which is about all our DC has to work with at this point in time. TW is probably watching old Maine film to get a feel what Charlton might do.

"Our"
Brady Bunch K GIF

They would have routed USU if there QB didn't get hurt. They brought in the true freshman , 1st game on the road and still almost won the game after giving up 24 points in the 2nd quarter. Probably would have won if the refs didn't give USU the worst PI I've ever seen, gave them the game.
This is an opinion that isn't based on anything concrete. If their offense is run-heavy, it's not as important who is handing off. Regardless, the 1st string QB isn't playing Saturday, so what he would have done against USU is irrelevant.
And honestly, USU may not be any good. I won't knock them too much for the Bama loss, but I will knock them for doing less than diddly poo. I can't believe there were people (not on here) saying they had a shot at the CFP.

No great Wizard, like in the plays and sets that are on tape from their first 2 games which is about all our DC has to work with at this point in time. TW is probably watching old Maine film to get a feel what Charlton might do.
I don't think Tony White is all that worried about watching Maine film. I'm sure he has looked at it because he strikes me as someone who is prepared, but I don't think he's wringing his hands over it. He knows what UConn has vs what he has. New sets and wrinkles only go so far when there is such a talent disparity, uesa you're going to try and tell me they are close to par with us in the talent department.

Been shouting this from the mountains all week. Heard someone say “Uconn has an ACC RB, they’re going to give us fits” They have 1 ACC caliber player, and he’s going to give us fits? We just played an actual ACC TEAM, that is full of high level athletes including one of the most dangerous QBs in all of college football and dominated them from the opening whistle. Like you said Utah State had almost 550 yards and 31 first downs, CCSU was competitive with them until late into the 3rd quarter. Unless we turn the ball over 5 times, this isn’t going to be a competitive football game.
uTah ST had almost 300 of the yds in that 2nd quarter and a little over 250 the rest of the game.. But then Ala held them to 130 total.. We can get confident the team cant

Because of our lack of size upfront expect to see UConn run the heavy set until the game is out of reach. Key for us is to take an early lead

This should absolutely be their game plan. Run the ball, run the clock, lean on our defensive line in hopes of wearing them down, and keep the ball out of our offense hands.

This should absolutely be their game plan. Run the ball, run the clock, lean on our defensive line in hopes of wearing them down, and keep the ball out of our offense hands.
I think this might have been said already but To counter your point I see us loading the box and having the back end flow downhill to combat this given their struggles on the outside

I don't think Tony White is all that worried about watching Maine film. I'm sure he has looked at it because he strikes me as someone who is prepared, but I don't think he's wringing his hands over it. He knows what UConn has vs what he has. New sets and wrinkles only go so far when there is such a talent disparity, uesa you're going to try and tell me they are close to par with us in the talent department.
This makes you sound clueless as to what it takes to coach at that level.

Tony White's philosophy: The best defense is a great defense, the best offense is a great defense.

Bob Anae's philosophy: The best offense is a great offense, the best defense is a great offense.

The key here is that both believe that their respective unit must be the best that it can be. Therein lies the issue for UConn. While they have a very good HC, and some decent position coaches, they have less tools to work with. Both TW and BA have more tools to work with and deeper benches. Neither coach will get beat by scheme, only by talent. even then, both can scheme around lesser talent to beat better talent because both are very crafty at what they do so well.

Mora will have the Huskies as ready as possible. They will be disciplined and will execute efficiently. However, there is a point where size and talent, the lack thereof, will fail UConn. This is likely to occur in the second quarter, based on the limited sample size we have seen to date. However, SU will be able to either run over UConn at some point or stretch the field at some point, or worse, both.

Defensively, Tony White runs with a bend but don't break mentality and the UConn RB will get his yardage, but he is likely to be the only significant weapon and is not likely to gouge the Orange for 200+ yards. Our corners will lock down their receivers. Their TEs may have some success, but TW will adjust as necessary to address the issues as they arise. While losing Thompson hurts, TW has a stable of LBs to put on the field, plus McDonald, who stepped in for Thompson last week, played TE in HS. That makes him a ready-made prime candidate to play against UConn as he knows how to think and play TEs, he will be thinking and looking for INTs as well as pass break-ups and stops after catches.

Offensively, Anae is too creative to stop. He had UVA running very efficient offenses year in and year out. He had BYU doing the same prior to that. He has SU doing so now. He will not be fooled by anything UConn's D throws at the offense. Besides, any overstep by the UConn defense will usually mean that Tucker or Schrader will make them pay for it. Beck has GS throwing correctly and reading the receivers, checking them off and making good decisions. UConn is not the team to challenge the progress made by Anae and Beck on offense.

Just gonna reiterate: 7 points in ~40 minutes. Against CCSU. You can spin that however you want but it's not good and it doesn't bode well for that team against any fbs caliber defense.

I follow CCSU some because my neighbor plays for them. They aren’t very good. 4-7 last year. Played Miami last year for some reason and lost 69-0.

I follow CCSU some because my neighbor plays for them. They aren’t very good. 4-7 last year. Played Miami last year for some reason and lost 69-0.
Mora didn't want to try to humiliate CCSU, he's trying to make friends with the instate coaching fraternity. He also wants to build the identity of his program to be win the battle in the trenches, so he put the task to his O-line.

Mora didn't want to try to humiliate CCSU, he's trying to make friends with the instate coaching fraternity. He also wants to build the identity of his program to be win the battle in the trenches, so he put the task to his O-line.

LOLOL. Do you really follow football?

Certainly, UConn football last year was:

Co52y85XYAAWs_O.jpg

This year, I expect they'll still be pretty bad, but they are actually playing better than last year so far. Jim Mora might turn out to be a pretty good hire by them.

Ya I'd expect Uconn to run a lot of heavy sets run some trick plays and try to dominate TOP if they can. As others have pointed out the best thing SU can do is score first and get up 7 or 10-0 and put the onus on Uconn to try and throw the ball. UConn wants to make this rock fight as much as possible and have it be like 7-3 in the early part of the 2nd quarter.

SU needs to avoid turnovers and dumb mistakes. Babers lead teams haven't been great defending trick plays in the past so hopefully were on the look out there. From and SU standpoint with this secondary and UConn's honestly bad receivers can't see how we don't stack the box. Thompson is a massive loss and SU being undersized on the DL is a problem. This is where not having a big DT or 2 could cause some problems. SU is clearly the more talented team but we've seen talented SU teams get sucked into rock fights before back in the day.

1st quarter should tell a lot about how the game will play out.

This might rank up there with one of the most ridiculous takes I've ever seen. Rutgersal salutes you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom