So what went wrong in the run game, in your opinion? | Syracusefan.com

So what went wrong in the run game, in your opinion?

Czar

All Conference
Why didn't it click tonight, and what do you think Babers changes, if anything, going forward?

I think it was exactly what he coach promised, a team in progress nothing more and nothing less, I think you saw a team that still needs to really figure it out play against a Colgate team that had better players than most teams in their division. I saw a team that has to make a pretty good jump from week one to week two to compete against the heavy weights on the schedule. I saw a team that much like last year needs some better play on both lines and I still think the secondary will get burned against better athletes, put up unheard of numbers in the dome and not have to go down to the wire to barely get a win against a lower level team.
We are going to struggle in games for various reasons such as better competition, not fully grasping what we are doing yet, and to be honest against the better teams the talent is just not the yet in certain ares. I would say this game is exactly what the coch said it would be, I saw some great things and ome frustrating things, but I saw maximum effort, payers hustling to the ball on defense and I now saw belief in a system that will make the dome rock at times like it hasn't in a couple of generations.

I am sure it is a team in progress. Still, the defense was better than many expected, Dungey's passing stats were outstanding, Amba Etta Tawo was better than expected, Erv Phillips caught a ton of passes, and Moe Neal was electric on his initial touch.

The problem with the run game? The interior of the O-line did not win many battles against Colgate's defenders. Did they get push? Did they open running lanes?

Dino's strategy of not playing to your opponent's strength, or taking what they give you.

The running game is fine, they will use it more against other teams. Especially against teams who specialize in stopping the run.

Recall that Syracuse has not had a prolific passing game the three previous seasons and Colgate went far with this run stopping D. HCDB took advantage of the easy yards offered by Colgate, in this game it was passing yards.

Our running backs were fine last year and likely improved while adding Moe Neal. HCDB expects 2000 yards minimum on the ground this season. I say give him a few more weeks to display the team's overall character, one game simply does not a season make.

Noticed a few things that contributed. First, the three interior defenders to the inside zone read, I'm talking about Colgates NT, DT, and MLB, those guys are hella good football players, and deserve a ton of credit. Their NT simply blew up the a gap when he saw Dungey pivot to make the end read. They also pinched in with the WLB and had overlap responsibility, so it was clear they were comitted to stop the run and the MLB simply did not miss, very impressive performance. Other thing I noticed is the speed of that end read. When you see Baylor or Oregon run that play, that read occurs in a few hundredths of a second. Dungey and Strickland are operating in tenths of a second and it just doesn't work like that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom