So what's next - class of 2018? | Syracusefan.com

So what's next - class of 2018?

RF2044

Living Legend
Landing Bazley was a HUGE win for a beleaguered staff that had been struggling to pull in top 50 recruits. We needed that, if only from a mojo perspective.

So how do we close out the class of 2018?

Is the dream class Bazley, plus Carey / Roberts? If so, how do we get those guys on campus to close? Which AC's are assigned to those prospects?

Are there others not listed above who fit into the mix? What happens if we lose out on Carey?

Agreed that Bazley was a huge win for the program. It can't be understated that top players want to play with other top players. Maybe this will help lure Carey and others as well.

So, in addition to Carey and Boeheim, we need to get another flex 4/5 to hedge against TT leaving and Piccachu underperforming. Roberts might be that guy or Dimon Carrigan, who like Sidibe can guard the rim.

I think another combo guard in addition to Carey to hedge against Battle leaving. We will have FH, HW, Hughes and maybe Boeheim. Maybe the staff still wants Ayala for that combo role in 18.

Red is on Carey. Things look good there but I think his time table to make a decision isn't till after the summer. Obviously PG is a priority so we have to have other options if Carey doesn't work out. I've said this before and will reiterate it. Although it looks like SU and Ayala have moved on they may come back around to each other if neither gets what they are looking for. Also Jalen Lecque reclassified to 2019 so he could be a 2018 option for us at some point. David Duke is seeming more and more like a long shot and his shooting seems questionable. It will be interesting to see what we do if Carey drags things out well into the fall.

JB has said we are taking a big and that makes sense because we don't know what we have in Chukwu and Thompson being here in 2018 is questionable. Can't roll with just Sidibe as a big. As posted by themorey Roberts and Carrigan are in play. I think Roberts may be easier to get than Carrigan.

We have five guards this year but Battle and Thorpe will be gone. Its possible that if Frank has a repeat performance of last year that he also moves on. We may only have Washington and Hughes so even though we are taking a PG we still need another guard IMO. We can pencil Buddy in but I could also see us taking a 2/3 type kid if we have ships left.

I like Carrigan a bit more for us than Roberts but ideally we get a commit from either one before the summer is out and wrap up Carey before early signing. If that happens we would be sitting in a great spot with Bazley, Carey, a Big and Buddy. I think we would add one more player at that point, could be whoever the staff feels is the best available player rather than a certain position.

Red is on Carey. Things look good there but I think his time table to make a decision isn't till after the summer. Obviously PG is a priority so we have to have other options if Carey doesn't work out. I've said this before and will reiterate it. Although it looks like SU and Ayala have moved on they may come back around to each other if neither gets what they are looking for. Also Jalen Lecque reclassified to 2019 so he could be a 2018 option for us at some point. David Duke is seeming more and more like a long shot and his shooting seems questionable. It will be interesting to see what we do if Carey drags things out well into the fall.

JB has said we are taking a big and that makes sense because we don't know what we have in Chukwu and Thompson being here in 2018 is questionable. Can't roll with just Sidibe as a big. As posted by themorey Roberts and Carrigan are in play. I think Roberts may be easier to get than Carrigan.

We have five guards this year but Battle and Thorpe will be gone. Its possible that if Frank has a repeat performance of last year that he also moves on. We may only have Washington and Hughes so even though we are taking a PG we still need another guard IMO. We can pencil Buddy in but I could also see us taking a 2/3 type kid if we have ships left.

I like Carrigan a bit more for us than Roberts but ideally we get a commit from either one before the summer is out and wrap up Carey before early signing. If that happens we would be sitting in a great spot with Bazley, Carey, a Big and Buddy. I think we would add one more player at that point, could be whoever the staff feels is the best available player rather than a certain position.
I agree with all of this!!!

Williams?

Bazley was a huge pick up. Haven't seen him play in a game yet but based on highlight clips he atleast looks talented and pretty athletic. I'll have to see if I can find some online or if he's coming out to New England for any tournaments this winter. Awesome to see Griff reeling in a big get for us so quickly into his tenure. Real happy for him to seemingly be starting off so well in the new gig.

I'd like Carrigan over Roberts at this point. Carrigan can help protect the rim and looks like he might be able to contribute a little sooner than Roberts, and we'll most likely need bodies in the middle after this coming season.

Griff being able to land Bazley helps me feel better about he and Red's ability to land Carey. I do think it would still be prudent to get involved with some other guards in 2018 because we'll have big holes to fill when Battle and Thorpe are gone after this year.

Williams?

Possibly. His strength seems to be slashing and although he is listed as a guard he's big enough to play the 3 for us. Shooting needs to improve from what I've seen.

We have 11 ships on this years team with only one Senior (Thorpe) still its pretty easy to envision a scenario where we are only returning 5 scholarship players. We are also bringing in Buddy who won't take up a ship and we get 12 ships next year. I think we will get four scholarship kids committed and Buddy and see what happens.

We need a PG or combo, at least. Carey is the perfect fit there. I'd hope for another shooting option, too, if possible. And a PF/C type, with some offensive skills, would really help. I don't think Chukwu ever adds much impact here, TT may only be here for a year and Sidibe is a bit of an unknown. PG and C are the priorities, IMO.

Let me see if I can get this right ... the current roster is:

G - Battle (so), Thorpe (sr), Howard (jr), Washington (fr)
C - Chukwu (jr, maybe gets a year back for medical redshirt), Sidibe (fr)
F - Thompson (so), Moyer (fr), Brissett (fr), Dolezaj (fr)

10, losing one for sure in Thorpe, with two (Hughes and Bazley) on the way, to get Cuse to 11 schollies. Are they
back to 13 next year? Get Carey, and get one of Roberts/Carrigan, to get to 13. In the highly likely event that
Battle leaves, pick up Jeenathan Williams or Louis King (one is probably easier than the other). I think the Cuse
community would be happy. If you then have other causes for people to leave, then they're going to be hectic
finding spots. Worst case, I could see Howard getting the Joseph/Obokoh/Patterson treatment, I could see
Thompson leaving for the NBA, and I could see Dolezaj leaving either due to homesickness or a Euroclub offering
lots of $, who knows. Buddy might get a schollie at that point. But start with Carey and a big for now. Hughes
may be the perfect replacement for Battle, and that would leave an extra spot to get after 2019 guys.

Kev

PG is a must. Would expect Carey to be that guy. Then cherry pick a big. 5th year market for bigs is almost non-existent. So I would guess it'll have to be a 2018 kid.

Who's the most likely Big for us?

Looks like we only have 3 '18 offers out to Bigs: Nate Roberts, Simi Shittu, and Silvio de Sousa.
Who is Carrigan??
Is he the next mystery recruit? :p

Who's the most likely Big for us?

Looks like we only have 3 '18 offers out to Bigs: Nate Roberts, Simi Shittu, and Silvio de Sousa.
Who is Carrigan??
Is he the next mystery recruit? :p

Carrigan is a shot blocking 6-9 guy, with not much offensive development. Elite shot blocker, though.

Roberts is emerging as the darkhorse favorite in the big sweepstakes, IMO.

So, in addition to Carey and Boeheim, we need to get another flex 4/5 to hedge against TT leaving and Piccachu underperforming. Roberts might be that guy or Dimon Carrigan, who like Sidibe can guard the rim.

I think another combo guard in addition to Carey to hedge against Battle leaving. We will have FH, HW, Hughes and maybe Boeheim. Maybe the staff still wants Ayala for that combo role in 18.

Boeheim said on the radio the other day that he was looking to add another big and only 1 guard for the rest of this class. If we add a second guard, it might be in the spring after the roster shakes out.

Carrigan is a shot blocking 6-9 guy, with not much offensive development. Elite shot blocker, though.

With a name like Carrigan, if he's a pasty-white, flat-top buzzcut guy, then he's a lock for ND as the next 'Gody clone they roll out.
:p

They both sound like solid program fits.
Roberts would be a great get, and keep our Brewster pipeline flowing.

I'd personally prefer Roberts - I really think after another year of HS and then more of a developmental year as a frosh he'll be a very solid big in our system

Still think we should go and land Jones...We better have a backup plan for Carey!

Great start with Baz

Agreed. I think Carey is the key to everything. I need to watch more video on Roberts and Carrigan to have a strong opinion. In the end though if we had Carey, Baze and Boeheim that would be great. Then if we got another solid big kid great or if we got another 2/3 like Williams or Jones I'm ok with that too. I would prefer to go the big kid route though and call it good. I don't think we need Williams or Jones at this point.

Agreed. I think Carey is the key to everything. I need to watch more video on Roberts and Carrigan to have a strong opinion. In the end though if we had Carey, Baze and Boeheim that would be great. Then if we got another solid big kid great or if we got another 2/3 like Williams or Jones I'm ok with that too. I would prefer to go the big kid route though and call it good. I don't think we need Williams or Jones at this point.

I am 100% in favor of bringing in a wing like Williams, Jones, or even Porcelli [sp] if they are a spring add. PG and C have to be how we use the two open scholarships we can reasonably assume will be available next season.

Beyond that, we don't know today what the roster composition will be in the spring, but I think we'll have attrition with at least two players, which could give us four scholarships to work with. If another opens up, then I'd love to see us add another wing, as Hughes insurance.

Buddy would hopefully be a walk on, given his father being an employee -- I haven't seen that confirmed, but believe that it would be the case. He'd be the fifth recruit.

Two huge classes, back to back.

With a name like Carrigan, if he's a pasty-white, flat-top buzzcut guy, then he's a lock for ND as the next 'Gody clone they roll out.
ayS16vmG.jpg

About that...

GMac just followed Quinerly and Luther Muhammad on twitter. Maybe we're trying to get back in those races.
Oh my god, i hate that first sentence so much.
The second sentence, i like. But the first? ICK. I have a feeling it makes GMac a bit queasy, as well.

I am 100% in favor of bringing in a wing like Williams, Jones, or even Porcelli [sp] if they are a spring add. PG and C have to be how we use the two open scholarships we can reasonably assume will be available next season.

Beyond that, we don't know today what the roster composition will be in the spring, but I think we'll have attrition with at least two players, which could give us four scholarships to work with. If another opens up, then I'd love to see us add another wing, as Hughes insurance.

Buddy would hopefully be a walk on, given his father being an employee -- I haven't seen that confirmed, but believe that it would be the case. He'd be the fifth recruit.

Two huge classes, back to back.
I agree regarding the unknowns with the roster. My only concern with Williams and Jones is that neither are really good shooters. We really need to add a shooter as insurance for Hughes. I think Hughes can score but shooting was always my concern with him. I agree it's hard to know what will happen. I assume Battle will be gone after this coming season. It's hard to know regarding TT, Brissett and Marek. We will have Baze and Moyer so we really need one more forward which would be either Brissett or Marek I would think. I think it's unlikely both will be gone. If TT goes I'm less concerned because we have a good amount of forwards now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom