So what's the context for Schiano's move? | Syracusefan.com

So what's the context for Schiano's move?

GoSU96

Living Legend
1. Was he waiting for JoePa to leave and once he didn't get the job he said the hell with college ball?
2. Does he know something about what RU's real prospects are for getting out of the BE?
3. Was it simply an increase in pay/chance to coach in the NFL?
4. Is it the financial situation in NJ, was he going to be asked to renegotiate his contract, cut assistant salaries, cut his recruiting budget?

His work on building the recruiting foundation to his program was starting to take off, why leave now? I doubt he is going to get that much of a bump going to TB.

1. Was he waiting for JoePa to leave and once he didn't get the job he said the hell with college ball?
2. Does he know something about what RU's real prospects are for getting out of the BE?
4. Is it the financial situation in NJ, was he going to be asked to renegotiate his contract, cut assistant salaries, cut his recruiting budget?
I think #2.

I think Schiano knows he missed the boat after the 2007(?) season by not going after the Miami job. (the season with their Louisville win) He knows the state of the economy in NJ and he knows most of the fanbase is indifferent. He also knows the Big East is changing. So why not get while the gettin's good.

This Tampa Bay job could have been his last real chance to get out...so he did.

Get some NFL experience on his resume to boost his candidacy as the replacement for Paterno's replacement in about 2-3 years.

5. Maybe the NCAA will be sniffing around the Banks of the Raritan?

Maybe Penn State is still the dream job but not right now. Figures he'll get a few years coaching experience in the NFL then go get the Penn State gig with NFL experience on his resume with an easier situation after the negative image blows over some. Not too confident in what the future brings at his current gig.

waiter_all_of_the_above_562435.jpg

They were going to take his helicopter away

My guess is mainly a combo of 3 & 4.

Because taking football coaches from the big least for bigger programs is all but done.

#2 and #4

He's been trying to get out for years after realizing that he has banged his head on the program's very low glass ceiling. Now that Rutgers has no hope with regard to conference affiliation and therefore the program will inevitably die a slow, cruel death, he had no choice but to bail asap.

Schiano may be the happiest person on the planet right now.

Why stay at a school with 1/3 of U S televisions with in 2 1/2 hours and NY College team when you can be the king of Tampa/ St. Pete!

His work on building the recruiting foundation to his program was starting to take off, why leave now? I doubt he is going to get that much of a bump going to TB.

I say it's money, money, money.

That seems to be a very important part of Schiano.

I agree, though, that the Penn State angle is an intriguing one.

Agree with most of what's been posted above, but I also think that the decline of the Big East football conference--with RU being on the outside looking in at major conference expansion--was a factor. If RU were headed to ACC or Big 10, then he might have not been as inclined to bail.

He was fortunate to get another offer. Not many HC's from third rate programs get a chance to move to the NFL. I think he knew Rutgers wasn't going anyplace for him and it was time to get out.

Here you go...

"
Schiano was intrigued by the challenge of coaching in the NFL and also was concerned about the perceived uncertainty of the future direction of the Big East Conference, a source told ESPN's Joe Schad."

Probably a combination of all four. The next hire should shed some light on 2 & 4.

Talk about a no-brainer!

He gets NFL money, for starters. Worst case scenario is that he sucks, lands a gig doing media for a year or two, then gets hired on at an underperforming BCS school.

I don't know what to make of Tampa. They really crapped out this year, but it seems like there are good pieces there to build around. Tough division though.

Not enough people were leaving their TVs on when they went to the games, so he said "screw you guys, I'm going to Tampa"

$$$$$$$$$$$, 5 year deal, he can coach two years get fired, secure his families future, and be pretty much right back where he is in a few years. Granted he is like most meatheads where I am sure he honestly believes he can win in the NFL which he won't. This would have been Marrone's job with more success this year.

That said, great move for Shady. Kudos. I am sure he just doubled his salary