So when JB rights the ship and this team starts really rolling again... | Syracusefan.com

So when JB rights the ship and this team starts really rolling again...

cpatrocks

Starter
...who is going to be the first to say, I knew this team was pretty good all along?

quagmire_-_giggity.gif

...who is going to be the first to say, I knew this team was pretty good all along?

View attachment 32148

Not me--but I'll sure be happy!

The thing is, even as badly as we're struggling in some respects, we're really not that far off. Improved lead guard play, shooting, and overall execution would go a long way toward righting the ship. And while I don't expect us to magically turn into Vandy, canning a dozen three pointers every game, all three of those things are areas where we CAN and SHOULD improve over the course of the season.

Like Mulder, I want to believe.

Not me--but I'll sure be happy!

The thing is, even as badly as we're struggling in some respects, we're really not that far off. Improved lead guard play, shooting, and overall execution would go a long way toward righting the ship. And while I don't expect us to magically turn into Vandy, canning a dozen three pointers every game, all three of those things are areas where we CAN and SHOULD improve over the course of the season.

Like Mulder, I want to believe.

I agree 100% its all there. Honestly if we simply minimized the really foolish lack of concentration mistakes and learned to play more functionally together just a bit we'd be a pretty decent team right now. As Kaleb, Tyler, BJ, Chris come into their own and Rak, Trevor, Mike get used to their new rolls and responsibilities we have a chance to be very good but it starts with paying attention, practicing hard and eliminating the mistakes that are more mental than anything else. This is where JB has been so frustrated.

View attachment 32148
There are definitely believers vs non-believers. No one can say the Cuse has played well but if there is any consolation to that, the teams that we have lost to are ranked 20th (St Johns), 31st (Cal) and not ranked but was ranked 17th when we played (UM).

If the team can turn it around people can point to JAB and say that he is a HOF coach. If the team cannot turn it around they can blame the fact that the team is young and rebuilding. The good news is that after Nova, Syracuse doesn't play a ranked team for nine or ten games. Those games should determine the direction of the team.

There are definitely believers vs non-believers. No one can say the Cuse has played well but if there is any consolation to that, the teams that we have lost to are ranked 20th (St Johns), 31st (Cal) and not ranked but was ranked 17th when we played (UM).

If the team can turn it around people can point to JAB and say that he is a HOF coach. If the team cannot turn it around they can blame the fact that the team is young and rebuilding. The good news is that after Nova, Syracuse doesn't play a ranked team for nine or ten games. Those games should determine the direction of the team.
I think JB may be considering moving Cooney to point after the 'Nova game if we lose. If we win, we're odds on to get in to the NCAAT. But if we lose we're bubbilicious. And putting TC at point could give SU a narrative to make it easier to get in. Kind of like when Memphis switched their starting pg after we beat them a couple of years ago and seemed to increase their seed line (and annoyingly devalued our big OOC win in the process, if I haven't forgotten I doubt JB has, time to use that card).

TC would then get the nine or ten easier transition games. If we then get an upset or two of some big ACC boys the storyline would be cemented. All the talking heads at each ACC game would mention that we are now, X-X with TC at the point (which will be significantly better than 6-4). And JB would come out and say the first 10 are on him, he should have known better than to put an inexperienced player in such an important position - that TE had been a once in a decade type player.

Let me be the first to throw that idea out there.

I will be the first to admit i was DEAD WRONG if we make the tournament. I dont see any chance we are even on the bubble come Selection Sunday barring a huge turnaround.

I hope JB is able to right the ship, and I do believe that there is a decent amount of potential on this team. However, historically speaking if this team manages to win a game in the NCAAT it will be an anomaly in his coaching career.

This is only the 5th time in Boeheim's illustrious career where he's had 3 or more losses in the first 10 games of a season. The other 4 times (81-82, 96-97, 98-99, and 07-08) featured 3 NIT appearances and a forgettable first round NCAAT loss. So there is a clear correlation between poor starts leading to mediocre overall seasons. If they lose to Nova on Saturday it will tie the 96-97 team for the worst 10 game start in JB's career. If this team turns it around and has any postseason success, it will stand out as a clear aberration in a 39 year coaching career.

Here's hoping for a clear aberration!!!

LGO!

Mason

I think JB may be considering moving Cooney to point after the 'Nova game if we lose. If we win, we're odds on to get in to the NCAAT. But if we lose we're bubbilicious. And putting TC at point could give SU a narrative to make it easier to get in. Kind of like when Memphis switched their starting pg after we beat them a couple of years ago and seemed to increase their seed line (and annoyingly devalued our big OOC win in the process, if I haven't forgotten I doubt JB has, time to use that card).

TC would then get the nine or ten easier transition games. If we then get an upset or two of some big ACC boys the storyline would be cemented. All the talking heads at each ACC game would mention that we are now, X-X with TC at the point (which will be significantly better than 6-4). And JB would come out and say the first 10 are on him, he should have known better than to put an inexperienced player in such an important position - that TE had been a once in a decade type player.

Let me be the first to throw that idea out there.
I would be shocked to see JB make that move. Having Cooney run the point any more than in occasional small doses would be a ticket to the NIT. While he has improved his handle, he isn't a college combo guard in the manner of a Waiters or Triche. Joseph and Gbinije are best suited to run this offense over the long haul and will be major contributors if this team is going anywhere good.

Been saying this team is good. It's just a different look we haven't had in a decade or so. A team that actually grows up and improves throughout the duration of the entire season. I don't know if people realized, but despite reoccurring errors/mistakes in the LA Tech game, we made a great many improvements too.

This is a team with young players growing into their roles, and a veteran leader who is ready to kill it (Rak).

We have several players who could go off for 20 points any game. We just need to let JB work his magic on the defense and let these kids grow.

I would be shocked to see JB make that move. Having Cooney run the point any more than in occasional small doses would be a ticket to the NIT. While he has improved his handle, he isn't a college combo guard in the manner of a Waiters or Triche. Joseph and Gbinije are best suited to run this offense over the long haul and will be major contributors if this team is going anywhere good.
Well, it would be Cooney/G so you would have both out there. I guess maybe I should state that G would take the point. It was just that last game it looked like Cooney did a better job than KJ2 bringing the ball up.

In any event, the new, revised starting lineup of G/TC/roberson/Mc/Rak would bring more experience to the backcourt which just might be what is needed.

cpatrocks said:

I don't think anybody has said this team isn't capable of being good. A lot of people haven't even ruled out the tournament. There's nothing wrong with being in the middle when trying to predict this squad. I know I haven't said NIT is a lock not the NCAAT.

The only thing I can say is something needs to start clicking because it's not getting better yet, at what point does it start getting better and how long will it take? I know young teams take time to grow, but doesn't that mean the same for our opponents?

I don't think anybody has said this team isn't capable of being good.

You know I dig your posts brother, but I had to beat whomever else to the punch here. Indeed folks have said that. That's their right, and frankly I respect their honest opinion even if I dont agree with it. Let's not sugarcoat the difference of opinion's we have on here this season. It can be a healthy thing, and may make the board more interesting as history reveals itself over the course of the season.

Edit: Heaven knows we are in for a number of "I told you so's" regardless of what transpires though. I can live with that.

Last edited:
Just curious - what's your definition of righting the ship?

It's hard to say, but we will know it when we see it...a 5 or 6 game winning streak with minimal unforced turnovers perhaps

I'll be shocked if this team "rights the ship". I just don't think we're very talented this year and really, really lack the skill needed to go on a run. A lack of depth doesn't help either. I think we'll have some moments, but it sure looks like this is going to be a very, very bad year.

If TRob can maintain a similar level of play to what we saw vs La Tech, this team will have a chance. Although our pg play will likely be subpar all season, if we can have 3 capable frontcourt players, that should be a viable advantage over most teams.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom