So -- where might Tyus Battle have gotten drafted if he'd stayed in the draft? | Syracusefan.com

So -- where might Tyus Battle have gotten drafted if he'd stayed in the draft?

RF2044

Living Legend
Watching the draft last night, there were a lot of wings drafted in the second half of the first round and on into the second round. I was surprised by how many of them were described as offensively challenged, or needing to improve their shooting [including a few who went in the first round].

Given that Tyus's main question marks seemed to be about his shooting / offensive efficiency, I'm curious about where people think he might have gotten drafted if he'd stayed in the draft, in light of how things unfolded last night.

Based on the draft results from last night, I feel that Tyrus could/should have been drafted late in the first round in the 27-30 range with lower end possibility 31-34 based on the team's drafting needs.

He would have been a first rounder 25-31 excluding 27 aka the best pick of the draft.

Based on the draft results from last night, I feel that Tyrus could/should have been drafted late in the first round in the 27-30 range with lower end possibility 31-34 based on the team's drafting needs.
He would have been a first rounder 25-31 excluding 27 aka the best pick of the draft.

So...did Battle make the wrong decision?

If we go deep this year I believe Battle goes top 20 next year. He has last year’s performance under his belt and any improvement on weaknesses makes him slam dunk top 20 imho

No. He was never going ahead of any of the 2 guards that went in the first round and he wasn't going ahead of Khyri Thomas and Gary Trent either. The only people who think he's a first round pick reside on this board and I'm willing to bet Oshae get's drafted in front of him next season.

From my perspective definitely not. He's coming back to Syracuse.

From his, maybe, but probably not. He'll likely improve his draft position and I'm sure Tyus has an insurance policy on some kind of College BB injury cutting short his NBA career.

In my opinion, no. He has a chance to improve his percentages and all around game and work himself into the 14-25 range which is a big difference. He needs to show he’s an nba ready, physical 5 tool guy which he’s capable of showing.

He’s a big scorer.
He needs to work, with our now potential multiple reliable scoring options, to get his assists up.
He needs to hit the boards.

Feeding the other scoring options will open him up on the perimeter for easier looks and an improved 3 pt pct

Watching the draft last night, there were a lot of wings drafted in the second half of the first round and on into the second round. I was surprised by how many of them were described as offensively challenged, or needing to improve their shooting [including a few who went in the first round].

Given that Tyus's main question marks seemed to be about his shooting / offensive efficiency, I'm curious about where people think he might have gotten drafted if he'd stayed in the draft, in light of how things unfolded last night.

It's an interesting question and I'm not sure any of us know the answer but my humble opinion is that Devicenzo, Heurter, Okogie, etc. were probably rated higher than Battle based on whatever the NBA is looking for.

My personal thought on his decision is that for a few reasons, he's in a good spot. He's going to get a ton of reps and have time to try to improve deficiencies. He's also got a chance to graduate or come close to it and education is important to his family -- and quite frankly should be important to most of these kids.

If Battle is truly an NBA guy, we should see that this season and he's on his way. If he's not and he drops, he still has some pretty solid fallback options (as opposed to guys like Duval). That's a good place to be, IMO, though I know not everyone will agree with that.

It's an interesting question and I'm not sure any of us know the answer but my humble opinion is that Devicenzo, Heurter, Okogie, etc. were probably rated higher than Battle based on whatever the NBA is looking for.

My personal thought on his decision is that for a few reasons, he's in a good spot. He's going to get a ton of reps and have time to try to improve deficiencies. He's also got a chance to graduate or come close to it and education is important to his family -- and quite frankly should be important to most of these kids.

If Battle is truly an NBA guy, we should see that this season and he's on his way. If he's not and he drops, he still has some pretty solid fallback options (as opposed to guys like Duval). That's a good place to be, IMO, though I know not everyone will agree with that.

Good post. And just to be clear, I didn't want this thread to turn into a rehash of the "...did he make a 'good' or 'bad' decision" arguments -- I'm asking for opinions relative to how last night's draft unfolded and who got drafted where.

If he had gotten drafted at all, it would have been mid-late second round. After the combine, he was consistently rated behind Mykhailiuk, and Bruce Brown, who were both drafted mid-second round. Teams just didn't see anything that Battle was really good at, and his shooting efficiency wasn't great last year which raised a lot of red flags for teams who wondered if he could be an efficient player when the ball wasn't in his hands all the time.

If we go deep this year I believe Battle goes top 20 next year. He has last year’s performance under his belt and any improvement on weaknesses makes him slam dunk top 20 imho

I don't think our tournament performance will do much for his draft stock. Teams are learning it's too small a sample size to judge a player. I read one article where they tell owners not to even watch the tourney.

I don't think our tournament performance will do much for his draft stock. Teams are learning it's too small a sample size to judge a player. I read one article where they tell owners not to even watch the tourney.
That may be true, but it sure worked out for Malachi Richardson.

In my opinion, best case scenario would've been Brooklyn at 45 who took Diallo there. I also could've just as easily seen him go undrafted. If he polishes his game in his obvious/mentioned weakness areas, I can see him potentially moving into the later tier of the first round next year.

Don’t disagree but if we are deep chances are that he has played well during the year and the one thing the trny can show us that intangible, the winning instinct and desire coupled with playing and performing under pressure. I think the trny helped Malachi

Good post. And just to be clear, I didn't want this thread to turn into a rehash of the "...did he make a 'good' or 'bad' decision" arguments -- I'm asking for opinions relative to how last night's draft unfolded and who got drafted where.

Yeah as far as where he gets drafted it’s hard to say. A lot of wings late first but we’re all of those guys graded higher anyway? I would guess he wouldn’t have dropped below high second round.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom