So who do we root for now? | Syracusefan.com

So who do we root for now?

SWC75

Bored Historian
Syracuse has rimmed out and our NCAA brackets are in the recycling bin. Now we sit back and watch just to see who wins it this year. But it's more fun if you're pulling for somebody.

An obvious choice would be the remaining ACC team, Virginia, who is looking pretty good at the moment, (but a lot of teams have looked pretty good and then..).

Some people root for the team that beat us to lose because they want that team and their fans to feel the pain we feel but I've always felt that the better the team that beat us does, the better, (or less bad) we look. I remember 2001 when we got blown out by Kansas in the second round, 58-87 and then they lost to Illinois 64-80 and then Illinois lost to Arizona 81-87 and Arizona lost in the title game to Duke, 72-82. We were thus 61 points worse than Duke. That wasn't a good feeling. I rooted for Butler against Duke in 2010 and wished Heyward's half court shot had gone in. We would have lost to the national champions and Jim Boeheim could have played himself in the movie.

It's also a good thing if a team we had beaten wins the title so we can say we beat them, although it stings a little to think that a team that we were, at least for one night, better than, won it and we didn't. It was the one consolation to Connecticut's three titles since we beat all three of their championship teams. That would mean rooting for Baylor, who also looked pretty good today.

But the best idea, I think, is to root for somebody who has never won a national championship to get their first. We had a year and so let's get them a year. That's much better than having one of the perennial powers we like to think we rank with get another title and thus we fall farther behind them. Failing that, I'd prefer whichever team has won the fewest titles or has waited the longest to win another.

If anyone agrees with me, here is a list to help guide them:

Dayton, San Diego State, Iowa State, Tennessee, Baylor and Virginia are seeking their first title. My preference would be for Virginia and after that, Baylor, then Dayton. We beat San Diego State last year, so they would be my fourth preference. At least some of the players we beat would be on this year's champs.

Michigan, Wisconsin, Stanford and Arizona have one title each. Wisconsin won theirs in 1941 and Stanford in 1942 so they would be my preferences in this group. My brother got his master's degree at Stanford and roots for them so they would be my favorite of the two. Michigan bounced us last year and won theirs on a silly call in 1989 so I would like them the least. I had Arizona winning my sheet but I also had 18 teams that have already lost, so I don't think that will make any difference.

I kind of like Michigan State and UCLA so I would not mind if they won. I've nothing against Florida, either.

Nyet to Louisville, Kentucky and, especially, Connecticut.

I'm going with Michigan. In retrospect it's amazing how much talent last year's team had.

They had at least 3 first rounders who played regularly, and 2 others who are on the 1/2 border.
Burke
Hardaway
Stauskas
Robinson (1/2)
Mcgary (1/2)

I enjoy wathcing them play.

Makes no difference who we root for. ACC is playing like chopped meat. A Virginia NC would be some compensation.

I'm rooting for John Beilein.

Don't want Paypal Cal, L'Ville, UConn, Steve Alford or Virginia to win. Virginia could hurt our recruiting in the DC area if they were to win the NC

To be honest I am not that big a fan of college bball. Won't watch another game. After Syracuse loses all about Spring Football for me. OK, but I will add, anyone but UConn? ;)

UVA. Easy team to like. Maybe because we haven't played them enough yet. I like Beilein as well, but it's too soon for Michigan for me.

UVa.
It would be fun to get the national champs in the ACC -- just so we can beat them next year.

The Yankees. Basketball is done, I don't give a damn about watching the rest of the NCAA's.

For me, it's all about emotional attachments and connection. Wisconsin, my undergraduate school. North Carolina, my masters school. Stanford, my aunt's school. Louisville - the Louisville cousins!

If Virginia wins, I could possibly make some money from my bracket, but that doesn't matter so much to me.

Anyone but Dayton. Did not have good experiences with their fans in Buffalo.

Other than that, I guess Arizona. I have family in Tucson and would be happy for them if they got another one.

Same team I said yesterday in the other thread.

I wouldn't mind Virginia, Arizona, UCLA, Michigan, Iowa State, San Diego State.

I am indifferent to Louisville, Tennessee, Florida, Baylor, Stanford.

I don't want UConn, Wisconsin, Kentucky, Michigan State, Dayton.

Virginia, Michigan, Arizona, or SD State. I'm putting Zona in there simply because Sean Miller is a great coach and deserves to win a national title at some point.

Honestly as soon as I found out Dayton's coach was his little brother I got a little nervous, hoping that excellent coaching didn't run in the family.

My principle is not to root for schools that often recruit against SU in our primary recruiting areas (New England to DC). Deep runs and NCs enhance their status and thus their recruiting. So we should never want to see these schools win:
UConn, Louisville, Arizona (we seem to constantly recruit many of the same east coast kids), Duke, UNC, Pitt, Villanova, St. John's, Georgetown (goes without saying), Ohio St., Indiana under Crean, sometimes Florida. UVa hasn't recruited at our level but if they move up in stature they may become a competitor for high level east coast talent.

Nyet to Louisville, Kentucky and, especially, Connecticut.

Beilein first. My daughter graduated from UM. Beilein has spent time in the trenches. He deserves it.
Virginia next because they're ACC and that somehow means something to me.
Steve Fisher next. 1) because he got a raw deal with Michigan, 2) because he took a mid-major and made them into a powerhouse the same way Boeheim did. One brick at a time.
I'm okay with Donavan, because he really is a great coach and with ISU (It would add to Kansas's humiliation).
Otherwise who cares except I am in complete agreement with Steve on Louisville, Kentucky and UCant.
Man, what a crappy tournament.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom