So Who Is The First Portaler? | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

So Who Is The First Portaler?

They only allow a player to test the waters once, and Mintz did it last year. If he tries to do it again this year, he will not be allowed back.

This is the situation unless and until someone challenges the NCAA on the rule in court.

I expect Judah will portal, unless SU offers him a nice NIL setup.
I’m sure this has been said already, but you’re incorrect about testing the NBA.

I know this team won 20 games but that is more an indictment of how crappy the ACC is. Brown and JJ are the two guys that I would be really upset about if they left. Other than them, I won’t lose any sleep. Some crappy attitudes still left on the roster(it wasn’t just Benny), way too many soft players, too much dead weight on scholarship at center. It’s just a poorly constructed roster that needs a big shakeup

Reminds me of that old Bill Parcells quote [paraphrasing], where he talked about the locker room having 25% leaders, and 25% bad elements -- and the rest of the roster could be influenced either way depending on which voices in the locker room are stronger.

I like the kids on our team. But I agree 100% that it is a poorly constructed group, that lacked leadership. Some of that is due to the best players all being sophomores. Some of it is due to this group of players never having won at a high level, and not knowing how to get it done.

And without question, some of it is due to bad attitudes, being disrespectful to Red, etc.

The purge began when Benny got booted. Wouldn't be surprised to see a mass exodus of guys who decide they don't want to get with the program. But ultimately, it will be addition by subtraction if they aren't willing to do what Red requires of them.

Reminds me of that old Bill Parcells quote [paraphrasing], where he talked about the locker room having 25% leaders, and 25% bad elements -- and the rest of the roster could be influenced either way depending on which voices in the locker room are stronger.

I like the kids on our team. But I agree 100% that it is a poorly constructed group, that lacked leadership. Some of that is due to the best players all being sophomores. Some of it is due to this group of players never having won at a high level, and not knowing how to get it done.

And without question, some of it is due to bad attitudes, being disrespectful to Red, etc.

The purge began when Benny got booted. Wouldn't be surprised to see a mass exodus of guys who decide they don't want to get with the program. But ultimately, it will be addition by subtraction if they aren't willing to do what Red requires of them.
Can't wait for this to all shake out

he wants to start

he isnt starting here next season

some off court chit that makes coaching staff batty at times

hes gonzo
I’ll say again. Where does he think he’s going to start? I get that he can put his name out there and that’s good for him to see what his worth is and his options are. Doesn’t mean that he won’t be right back in Orange off the bench.

I’ll say again. Where does he think he’s going to start? I get that he can put his name out there and that’s good for him to see what his worth is and his options are. Doesn’t mean that he won’t be right back in Orange off the bench.

Once he enters the portal, Cuse is under zero obligation to take him back.

And based on all the chatter, it sounds like Red wouldn’t want him back.

So yes - it DOES mean he wouldn’t be back and on the bench.

One thing that I pondered this morning was how much our NIL must’ve learned in the last 4 months with Fran brown and the dozens of portal players they went after and recruited for football.

That NIL experience and recency should be a huge boost to the hoops portal as well. Realistically Autry and staff will have 10 players tops they’re after and negotiating with. That should be like clockwork now. No more muddling through the process.

At least I hope anyway. What do people think?

With regard to Q? A few VERY reliable posters have said he’s gone.
Oh well since you put very in CAPS I guess it must be true. Will be interesting to see where he lands then.

We could be o and 31 and I would still pay good money to watch Q play. I know he is emotional but heck, I loved Devo too. The fire just looks worse when you lose. I'll live with a few technical fouls a season for guys who care. Yes, they all need to improve in one area or another, but I believe we have a winning core really need a strong center and the frosh and we will be fine. Could also use a pass first point guard that can shoot 33 percent from three but I like Judah a lot on my team.

One thing that I pondered this morning was how much our NIL must’ve learned in the last 4 months with Fran brown and the dozens of portal players they went after and recruited for football.

That NIL experience and recency should be a huge boost to the hoops portal as well. Realistically Autry and staff will have 10 players tops they’re after and negotiating with. That should be like clockwork now. No more muddling through the process.

At least I hope anyway. What do people think?
I think the focus of NIL fundraising was all for football, not sure about the improvements of bball NIL

Justin Taylor is a winner? He shot 35% from the field, 30% from three, and 65% from the FT line. These are numbers from someone who is supposed to be a shooter. How is he a winner?
Attitude and willing to sacrifice for the needs of the team. He is a foxhole guy and those have a role on winning teams. He also has the potential to get his shot back.

If I were Red, I would ask how much money is in the NIL fund and spend nearly all of it.

Like a GM on the hot seat, sometimes you are in the position where you don't care as much about the distant future, you want to win next year.

We need several new players so Red can fully implement his culture, and preferred defensive and offensive playing styles asap.
And an exciting year where we are relevant and playing important games will lead to a surge in donations.

I know there's been a lot of mixed opinions on Bell, but I for one wouldn't mind seeing him walk. He has talent but does not have the mental fortitude to highly compete at this level. One of my buddy's has been to multiple games this year sitting behind the bench and witness interactions between Red and Bell. Let's just say they weren't pretty...He offers next to nothing on the defensive end, doesn't play hard, constantly stands around, and lacks discipline.

Over the past few seasons, it's not surprise we can't land a competent, bruiser big man. Why would a big man want to be a part of our current offense? We've had me-first guards who constantly shoot and never pass. I expect (and hope) a big overhaul this year, as I know others on this board do as well.

As an SU alum, while at school, was lucky to be a part of the 2013 season with Ennis and co., it's been a tough decade, but I'm confident with this new regime that Cuse will be back and competing again soon. Change is necessary and so is taking calculated risks. I'm excited to see how this offseason turns out!

He tried to get stronger to play at the 4 and it cost him speed. So he was not strong enough, not long enough and not quick enough to get by bigger defenders. Then that altogether messed up his shot to the point it was really bad and was left wide open which messes with anyone's head.
A little like when the T Wolves wrecked Donyell Marshall by making him gain muscle which ruied his shot and slowed him doen.

Yeah, not sure how long Red2003 has been around these parts, but there are definitely posters to pay attention to when it comes to scuttlebutt.
Alright fair point. I am a rookie on these threads but when I was in school I taught Melo and Gmac everything they know. I realize he is close to Judah and when Judah bounces he may say ok time for something new too.

He’s not a point guard, I’m 6’7”, just because I call myself a point guard and my fat ass is bringing the ball past midcourt doesn’t mean I’m a point guard.

2 things:
(1) IMO he can, and SHOULD play the PG position. I think he would thrive at PG. He has a good handle & he's a very good passer. His decision making and maturity, ie; always looking for the flashy play, would hold him back, but I'd trust he'd be more in control as time went on. I'd give him the keys, and let him drive.

(2) Yes...your ass is fat, and you're not a PG. :p

Justin Taylor is a winner? He shot 35% from the field, 30% from three, and 65% from the FT line. These are numbers from someone who is supposed to be a shooter. How is he a winner?
He and Bronny James have the same numbers!

I don't get where the Q leaving chatter is coming from. Do you think he woke up Thursday morning after all those turnovers and said damn I'm hitting the portal and I'm going to be a starting PG on a tournament team?

At the same time you think Autry is going to sit him down in the office and give him the keys to the offense. Hell No.

He'll be a Junior next year and he can play multiple roles. You don't push that guy out and if he does portal you be honest with him that he can play his way into 20-25ish minutes here. He's a good spark most of the time but he just can't take those shots and turnover the ball.

Without Q we do not win that UNC game down the stretch on defense. He made Tommy Boy Cormac Ryan look like a chump out there.
It didn’t just start. He stopped going to class weeks ago..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cardiac

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom