So who thinks Coach P is ready to put the Dagger in HCDM and SU Football on Friday | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

So who thinks Coach P is ready to put the Dagger in HCDM and SU Football on Friday

Coach P was made to look like a fool for having ONE losing season. He did not leave out of greed or in ignominy. And it's not a stretch to say he's one of the 5 most important people to the football program in the last 30 years.

Yet guys like Rob Murphy (1st guy to come to mind) would get a more gracious welcome. :confused:

Coach P was made to look like a fool for having ONE losing season. He did not leave out of greed or in ignominy. And it's not a stretch to say he's one of the 5 most important people to the football program in the last 30 years.

Yet guys like Rob Murphy (1st guy to come to mind) would get a more gracious welcome. :confused:

Good example. And its ok to give Stevie Thompson a polite applause during introductions as well, right? Giving Coach Pasqualoni applause before the game is no different.

The .500 years that followed that losing season were not all that inspiring. Losing 51-0 to Purdue and 51-14 to Georgia Tech...we might not be all that good now, but at least we're in games and even when we're outclassed we don't completely embarrass ourselves like that.

Good example. And its ok to give Stevie Thompson a polite applause during introductions as well, right? Giving Coach Pasqualoni applause before the game is no different.

Murphy and Thompson aren't coaching our conference rivals, and their teams have virtually no chance of beating us.

It's foolish to cheer for Coach P before the game.

It reminds me of the dilemma Packers fan had when Brett Favre was scheduled to come to Lambeau Filed for the first time as a Viking. The fanbase seemed split; some wanted to boo and the rest wanted to cheer when he walked through the tunnel to take the field. Then Leroy Butler spoke. He said (paraphrasing), "Why would Packer fans cheer for a player that is walking onto the field with the sole intention of beating the team you root for? Makes no sense. Boo him or do nothing. No Packer player wants to hear his own fans cheering on an opposing player that he has prepped an entire week for. For those that want to cheer, do it at the end of the game...when he walks off of Lambeau Field and through the tunnel with a loss. Cheer as loud as you want then." Because Butler was a fan favorite and a friend a Favre's, he shut a lot of people up and the fans actually listened to him. The people that wanted to cheer did it at the end of the game out of respect for the current players and coaches.

Exactly. And they didn't start the downfall of a program.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

16-20 = a .441 winning percentage

19-24 = a .444 winning percentage (DM)

I'm well aware. Both records suck.

However, one oversaw(and contributed to) a good program that declined into mediocre and eventually into suck on his watch(he was here too long). The other elevated the suckiest suck that ever sucked(2005-08) into a much more normal level of suck, and has recently seemed to level off into maintaining this normal level of suck. So he gets slightly more slack for what he walked into.

This sucks.

I'm well aware. Both records suck.

However, one oversaw(and contributed to) a good program that declined into mediocre and eventually into suck on his watch(he was here too long). The other elevated the suckiest suck that ever sucked(2005-08) into a much more normal level of suck, and has recently seemed to level off into maintaining this normal level of suck. So he gets slightly more slack for what he walked into.

This sucks.

I can't argue with any of that. This sucks.

No one is rooting for UConn. If you can't tell the difference between showing respect to a former pillar of the community and rooting for the opposing football team, that's on you.

To each his own. I wont be be cheering when UConn enters the field and disrespecting the players we already have on the field. Maybe they should have a halftime ceremony too.

It's foolish to cheer for Coach P before the game.

It reminds me of the dilemma Packers fan had when Brett Favre was scheduled to come to Lambeau Filed for the first time as a Viking. The fanbase seemed split; some wanted to boo and the rest wanted to cheer when he walked through the tunnel to take the field. Then Leroy Butler spoke. He said (paraphrasing), "Why would Packer fans cheer for a player that is walking onto the field with the sole intention of beating the team you root for? Makes no sense. Boo him or do nothing. No Packer player wants to hear his own fans cheering on an opposing player that he has prepped an entire week for. For those that want to cheer, do it at the end of the game...when he walks off of Lambeau Field and through the tunnel with a loss. Cheer as loud as you want then." Because Butler was a fan favorite and a friend a Favre's, he shut a lot of people up and the fans actually listened to him. The people that wanted to cheer did it at the end of the game out of respect for the current players and coaches.

Butler gets it.

The one thing that worries me about their team is that they are something like 10th in the country in sacks.

14 of 21 came in three games, NCSt, Md, and Temple. The first two are 100th and 114th in sacks allowed, Temple 79.

If you look at sacks as a percentage of pass attempts, it's Uconn that should be worried. SU is 49th when looked at that way, which is pretty good considering how many min protections SU has used all year.

Uconn is 105th, right behind Pitt. Their sack rate is 9.6%. Every pass there is a 1 in 10 chance the QB is going down.

Yep. Yet I guarantee you that there will be a handful, maybe more, of fans who will cheer when he runs on the field. Those fans would be an embarrassment to our program.

I will cheer him and if I get a chance will shake his hand.

And I will do the same with Coach DeLeone.

During the game I will root like heck for the Orange to swamp the Huskies - just as I did last year while sitting near you in the Rent.

I am disappointed that you see me as an embarrassment to our program.

I will cheer him and if I get a chance will shake his hand.

And I will do the same with Coach DeLeone.

During the game I will root like heck for the Orange to swamp the Huskies - just as I did last year while sitting near you in the Rent.

I am disappointed that you see me as an embarrassment to our program.

Not you but your actions. Save it for after the game.

Yeah, I won't be shocked if we win this game 14 to 10 or something like that.

OiG, you do know there is space between that point and the top of the OP's head?

He was 16-20 in his last 3 years. He wasn't "wronged".

He was forced to play on AstroTurf in the Dome - that hurt recruiting.

He lost assistant coaches because of pay scale - that hurt recruiting.

He had no weight room - that hurt recruiting.

He had no indoor practice facility - that hurt recruiting.

He was promised that he would return for the 2005 season after winning the BE Championship, defeating BC in a brilliant away finale, and getting a bowl bid.

He had Ray Rice coming in 2005.

And, he took the program to new heights while he was on the Hill without cheating and with a solid academic record.

Not you but your actions. Save it for after the game.

Wow.

The Oracle has spoken.

Sorry, but I simply can't guarantee the timing of what I do.

Murphy and Thompson aren't coaching our conference rivals, and their teams have virtually no chance of beating us.

So by that logic, if CoachP was coaching Stonybrook rather than UConn, it'd be OK if we gave a polite applause before the game?

He had no indoor practice facility - that hurt recruiting. No arguments that the facilities were making his job more difficult. However, we had good enough players to not lose 51-0 to mediocre teams, and to not lose to Temple. The epic meltdown blowouts we frequently suffered from 99-04, and losses to horrendous Rutgers and Temple teams had nothing to do with lack of talent. We had enough talent to not lose by 50 and to not lose to Temple. He wasn't getting it done on the field anymore with what he did have. I'd offer that we underachieved in 97 and 98 too.

He was promised that he would return for the 2005 season after winning the BE Championship, defeating BC in a brilliant away finale, and getting a bowl bid. Co-champs with 3 other teams, lost 51-14 in that bowl, lost to Temple, 6-6 season. The "spin" that some use to make that season sound so much better than it actually was drives me nuts. Mediocre year.

He had Ray Rice coming in 2005. I doubt one player would've made much of a difference, we were firmly planted in mediocrity by that point.

And, he took the program to new heights while he was on the Hill without cheating and with a solid academic record.
We were also having our worst seasons in about 20 years by the end of his tenure. The last two things are like a man bragging about never being arrested. So? That's what you're supposed to do!

So by that logic, if CoachP was coaching Stonybrook rather than UConn, it'd be OK if we gave a polite applause before the game?

No, because SB could beat us. They almost did. But the two situations are completely different. There's no "Coach P like figure" for our bball program...a former head coach who many fans wanted out for his last 5 years, who is now coaching a conference rival. The situation just isn't comparable.

Wow.

The Oracle has spoken.

Sorry, but I simply can't guarantee the timing of what I do.

Ha! So it's safe for me to assume you have Tourett Syndrome? Otherwise, I would think you should be able to control your vocalizations... :noidea:

He was promised that he would return for the 2005 season after winning the BE Championship, defeating BC in a brilliant away finale, and getting a bowl bid.

You and I have been back and forth on Cantor's "promise" several times.

If Coach P was "guaranteed" that he'd have a job in 2005, why was there such a sense of urgency during the 1st week of December to:

A. Announce Jake's retirement, and
B. Hire a new AD ASAP.

It would seem that someone on the Hill in a position of authority wanted a new AD in place to interview coaching candidates sooner rather than later.

Otherwise, Jake's retirement announcement could have waited until after New Years, or even until the Spring.

That tells me that Coach P's job status wasn't as concrete as you'd like to believe.

He had no indoor practice facility - that hurt recruiting.

He had Ray Rice coming in 2005.

And with all of that, if he beat Rutgers in 2003 and Temple in 2004 he'd likely still be here today.

Damn, just like Rutgers, it will be nice that this series is coming to an end. Just for the sake of no more of these types of conversations.