So who thinks Coach P is ready to put the Dagger in HCDM and SU Football on Friday | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

So who thinks Coach P is ready to put the Dagger in HCDM and SU Football on Friday

Damn, just like Rutgers, it will be nice that this series is coming to an end. Just for the sake of no more of these types of conversations.

Agreed. I think this is what happens when a program doesnt really have any traditional rivalries left. A group of fans think we are either rivalries with UConn or RU despite the fact that one "rivalry" has no history and the other was completely dominated by one side until recently. So, playing these two programs seems to conjure up more in-fighting than anything else. :noidea:

Agreed. I think this is what happens when a program doesnt really have any traditional rivalries left. A group of fans think we are either rivalries with UConn or RU despite the fact that one "rivalry" has no history and the other was completely dominated by one side until recently. So, playing these two programs seems to conjure up more in-fighting than anything else. :noidea:

I think part of the happy to have the series with Rutgers and UConn end is the embarrassment over the fact that we, a once proud and fairly dominant eastern football program, have had a tough time beating them in recent years.

If we owned them like we should have they would have been an after thought all along.

I think part of the happy to have the series with Rutgers and UConn end is the embarrassment over the fact that we, a once proud and fairly dominant eastern football program, have had a tough time beating them in recent years.

If we owned them like we should have they would have been an after thought all along.

Of course. The SU vs. UConn/RU games arent really rivalries between two fanbases here. They are rivalries between to factions of fans that comprise the SU fanbase. The week leading up to these two games is more about the pro-Marrone fanbase and anti-Coach P fanbase (and vice-versa) than it actually is the games themselves.

These games represent a true dichotomy in the SU fanbase moreso than a true rivalry. Just my take.

Good example. And its ok to give Stevie Thompson a polite applause during introductions as well, right? Giving Coach Pasqualoni applause before the game is no different.
Game doesn't count. You can't make that comparison.

Of course. The SU vs. UConn/RU games arent really rivalries between two fanbases here. They are rivalries between to factions of fans that comprise the SU fanbase. The week leading up to these two games is more about the pro-Marrone fanbase and anti-Coach P fanbase (and vice-versa) than it actually is the games themselves.

These games represent a true dichotomy in the SU fanbase moreso than a true rivalry. Just my take.
Where does the pro-GRob fanbase fit in...oh wait.

Wow.

The Oracle has spoken.

Sorry, but I simply can't guarantee the timing of what I do.
Then you don't get it. Read the quote above by Leroy Butler. I get that P gave a lot to the program. I would cheer him loudly for what he did for SU - after the game. Not before. How do our current players know the crowd is cheering for the opposing coach, and not a crowd filled with UConn supporters? I know that sounds absurd, but there is no sign available for them to say who you are cheering for. I'm sure they already doubt the home field advantage SU has, and you want to make it worse? Oh Lord

He lost assistant coaches because of pay scale - that hurt recruiting.

Maybe be did, but not that I ever heard. But I believe you. Here are a few facts about losing assistants though. And they are facts because I knew some assistants back then.

Lost some due to ridiculous hours especially unplanned meetings. He was single, slept on the couch in his office all the time and worked 20 hour days and expected the same from his assistants. Including days when they weren't going to go into the office but last minute he would pull the coaches in and they'd be there all day and night, even though some had family plans including vacations.

Lost some due to the fact they had no input. They'd put in those hours but only P&D had input into what they were going to do. Only D was truly trusted by P. They felt minimized.

And then of course the assistant that left because P wouldn't let him have a mustache. Forget his name but was a top notch college and then NFL coach.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

He was forced to play on AstroTurf in the Dome - that hurt recruiting.

He had no weight room - that hurt recruiting.

He had no indoor practice facility - that hurt recruiting.

He was promised that he would return for the 2005 season after winning the BE Championship, defeating BC in a brilliant away finale, and getting a bowl bid.

He had Ray Rice coming in 2005.

And, he took the program to new heights while he was on the Hill without cheating and with a solid academic record.
So glad that we've moved on from the stink of the recent loss to Rutgers, so we can wallow in the putrid smell of one final battle over the merits of the Pasqualoni tenure. Agree with others. Can't get to the ACC fast enough. And while we're at it, put me down on the side of wishing P well after his final Dome visit culminates in the defeat of his current team in a Friday night beat down of epic proportions. 51-0 sounds about right, thank you very much.

You and I have been back and forth on Cantor's "promise" several times.

If Coach P was "guaranteed" that he'd have a job in 2005, why was there such a sense of urgency during the 1st week of December to:

A. Announce Jake's retirement, and
B. Hire a new AD ASAP.

It would seem that someone on the Hill in a position of authority wanted a new AD in place to interview coaching candidates sooner rather than later.

Otherwise, Jake's retirement announcement could have waited until after New Years, or even until the Spring.

That tells me that Coach P's job status wasn't as concrete as you'd like to believe.

Oh boy now you did it......

Murphy and Thompson aren't coaching our conference rivals, and their teams have virtually no chance of beating us.

Ugh! Yet another reminder of just how far we've fallen. When a team (considering our long history) that has only been playing D1 ball for a decade or so is deemed your rival. :bang:

Oh boy now you did it......

Actually I am going to agree with my friend OPA (and yes, he is a friend regardless of our occasional spat here) on this one. At some point before the bowl, P was told by TGD he was going to be retained. I believe it was felt that it was too late in the "game" to even consider a change. So he was going to get another year. Who knows what would have happened after that.

At halftime of the bowl game Cantor decided he had to go and directed TGD to do so.

A couple posters were there when she made that decision on her own.
They know what she said.

He was forced to play on AstroTurf in the Dome - that hurt recruiting.

He had no weight room - that hurt recruiting.

He had no indoor practice facility - that hurt recruiting.

He was promised that he would return for the 2005 season after winning the BE Championship, defeating BC in a brilliant away finale, and getting a bowl bid.

He had Ray Rice coming in 2005.

And, he took the program to new heights while he was on the Hill without cheating and with a solid academic record.

That's a factual post. I think the university failed its program more than P. Largely, for what you mention above, not to mention the other condescending comments made to the fan base by Shaw, etc. that were contributing factors to SU's football demise.

P coached successfully for years, and I doubt there was anyone more dedicated to the program than him. Did he all of a sudden just forget how to coach? I don't think so...the aforementioned were considerably more substantial factors. Yeah, there was the ugly Purdue and GT losses, VPI too, but that happens pretty much everywhere, as well as the occasional What loss, especially over the long haul.

Maybe be did, but not that I ever heard. But I believe you. Here are a few facts about losing assistants though. And they are facts because I knew some assistants back then.

Lost some due to ridiculous hours especially unplanned meetings. He was single, slept on the couch in his office all the time and worked 20 hour days and expected the same from his assistants. Including days when they weren't going to go into the office but last minute he would pull the coaches in and they'd be there all day and night, even though some had family plans including vacations.

Lost some due to the fact they had no input. They'd put in those hours but only P&D had input into what they were going to do. Only D was truly trusted by P. They felt minimized.

And then of course the assistant that left because P wouldn't let him have a mustache. Forget his name but was a top notch college and then NFL coach.

I had heard the first two from more than one source. Never heard the last one though. Sheesh :rolleyes:

Not you but your actions. Save it for after the game.

I'm cheering for UConn if they win. But only because I'm sick of cheering for the losing team. Encouraging that many here feel we win going away. Would be nice to see that happen. Can't help but worry, especially the way this SU edition finds a way to lose.

You need to put a Post-It on your monitor that reads something like: "Will this post make me look like stupid?" and look it before you hit "post reply."

Do you really think that SU should win by 21?
He didn't say what kind of scores. Three fieldgoals? :noidea:

Hmmm. Never heard that. I wonder when P changed his mind about facial hair?

Don Brown has a mustache. You know, the UCONN Defensive Coordinator? Don Brown, the guy who many Husky fans want to replace P as HC immediately?

Maybe P had a premonition.

I don't think P is thinking about putting a dagger into Marrone. He is likely spending most of his time trying to figure out how to establish the running game and keeping the opposing team's offense off the field by controlling the clock. Speaking of which ...OT alert...did anyone notice that the Cowboys outrushed the Ravens 227 to 86 and had a time of possession advantage of 40:03 to 19:57...and lost!

You and I have been back and forth on Cantor's "promise" several times.

If Coach P was "guaranteed" that he'd have a job in 2005, why was there such a sense of urgency during the 1st week of December to:

A. Announce Jake's retirement, and
B. Hire a new AD ASAP.

It would seem that someone on the Hill in a position of authority wanted a new AD in place to interview coaching candidates sooner rather than later.

Otherwise, Jake's retirement announcement could have waited until after New Years, or even until the Spring.

That tells me that Coach P's job status wasn't as concrete as you'd like to believe.

OrangeExtreme: Your post caught my eye and I have a serious question for you. Can you expand on your comments above. My feelings about the Coach P firing have been linked to an understanding that he WAS "gauranteed" a year before any decision would be made. I think I remember reading that on the PS site. Are you saying that was not the case from some specific knowledge on the matter or simply conjecture? Do you mean to imply that Coach P put that idea out 'leaked it' for obvious reasons? I am not arguing with you here. I had thought the "GAURANTEE" was a FACT. FWIW I thought P's time had passed and a new/fresh approach was needed. I hated the way it was done to the man and a lot of that is based on the "gauranted".

I don't think P is thinking about putting a dagger into Marrone. He is likely spending most of his time trying to figure out how to establish the running game and keeping the opposing team's offense off the field by controlling the clock. Speaking of which ...OT alert...did anyone notice that the Cowboys outrushed the Ravens 227 to 86 and had a time of possession advantage of 40:03 to 19:57...and lost!

Nope...but I'll presume there was a critical turnover or two. ;)

Actually I am going to agree with my friend OPA (and yes, he is a friend regardless of our occasional spat here) on this one. At some point before the bowl, P was told by TGD he was going to be retained. I believe it was felt that it was too late in the "game" to even consider a change. So he was going to get another year. Who knows what would have happened after that.

At halftime of the bowl game Cantor decided he had to go and directed TGD to do so.

A couple posters were there when she made that decision on her own.
They know what she said.

Yup.

I will most certainly be one of those fans who cheers Pasqualoni on Saturday. He roamed our sidelines for quite awhile and did a number of good things for our program....many of which you all still look back fondly on.

He handled himself with the utmost class throughout his tenure here...and was nothing but class when he was unceremoniously released. He never did anything to embarrass the university.

For anyone to suggest its an embarrassment to give Pasqualoni a respectful cheer for what he did here in Syracuse is a fool. I will cheer him for his work here before the game starts, and cheer for SU once the ball is kicked.

Not your finest post bees...

cheer him all you want on saturday since the game is friday night