So who thinks Coach P is ready to put the Dagger in HCDM and SU Football on Friday | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

So who thinks Coach P is ready to put the Dagger in HCDM and SU Football on Friday

I don't think P is thinking about putting a dagger into Marrone. He is likely spending most of his time trying to figure out how to establish the running game and keeping the opposing team's offense off the field by controlling the clock.
That and the ideal game is to run for 200 yards and pass for 200 yards. Gotta get to those numbers.

Good guys. Uconn wouldn't beat Stony Brook.

Clean up the mistakes and we are going to win a bunch of games coming down the stretch.

I hope so. The last few years I'm so sick of thinking this is the game where we dominate, it'll be fun to watch and this is what we should do to lower competition; then that is never what happens.

Teryl Austin. DB coach. Coached here, Michigan, the NFL, DC at Florida and now DB coach for the Ravens.

Bio

http://m.baltimoreravens.com/accoun...hes_ravens&cell=Teryl_Austin&flat=&pageSize=1

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Looks like he got his 'stache...and then some. Too bad it isnt a Pron stache...

images

OrangeExtreme: Your post caught my eye and I have a serious question for you. Can you expand on your comments above. My feelings about the Coach P firing have been linked to an understanding that he WAS "gauranteed" a year before any decision would be made. I think I remember reading that on the PS site. Are you saying that was not the case from some specific knowledge on the matter or simply conjecture? Do you mean to imply that Coach P put that idea out 'leaked it' for obvious reasons? I am not arguing with you here. I had thought the "GAURANTEE" was a FACT. FWIW I thought P's time had passed and a new/fresh approach was needed. I hated the way it was done to the man and a lot of that is based on the "gauranted".

Transcript of Cantor's presser on Dec 6, 2004:

"So, let’s talk about Paul. I’ve met with Jake to discuss his evaluation of the 2004 season and his recommendation that Paul be retained. Jake’s recommendation is based in large part on the four criteria he established in measuring the football program. I’ve accepted Jake’s recommendation and have communicated to Paul our intention that he will go into his 15th football season as head coach at SU. At the same time, he also understands my position that the new athletics director will be empowered to evaluate the football program and our entire athletic operation and make his/her own decisions about the best ways to move forward. The evaluation of this fall’s football season, as we said earlier, was on Jake’s watch and the future of the football program will be the new AD’s responsibility. Paul knows there are no guarantees and that he will need to show he has a plan to help Syracuse reclaim its football signature."

Cantor says that based on Jake's recommendation, Coach P will be brought back for Year #15. She also says that the next AD will make his own decision, and that there are no guarantees.

Is Cantor telling Coach P that he's safe until SU hires somebody, or is she telling P that he's safe for 2005 but might not be brought back after that? How do you interpret Cantor's statement?

There were an awful lot of meetings and press conferences in December for a school that allegedly wasn't planning on making a coaching change.

Gross was hired on Dec 17.

Champs Bowl was Dec 22.

Coach P was let go Dec 29. Urban legend is that Cantor and the Board of Trustees made the decision on P at halftime w/o Gross' input (since he'd been on the job less than a week).

If Matt Leinart hadn't won the 2004 Heisman, Gross wouldn't have been in NYC that December, and wouldn't have been interviewed for the AD job as quickly as he was.

If SU doesn't hire Gross (or another candidate) until January, does P get another year? What if South Carolina accepted the Champs Bowl invite and SU was left home with a 6-5 final record? Does that change things?

I think we hang 30+ on them and win easily.

44cuse

This is my problem, when have we done that. We've been saying that for the last 3 years everytime we play an OOC game like Akron, Maine, Tulane and it never happens. What have we've seen this year that leads anyone to think we are going to win by even 3 TD's?

I think we win but not sure where this idea that we blow them out of the water comes from. We don't ever do that even when we should. I guess I'm not seeing something.

Last year we should have beat UConn and it didn't happen. I'm not sure that I should even write that I think we will win.

What makes me feel better about this game is the SU dline. Take away Deleones one play they had last year when it qb run up the middle and now to make sure you stuff the run and take away that TE/WR (name?) and we'll be fine as long as SU realizes that when they have the football not to let it hit the ground.

This is my problem, when have we done that. We've been saying that for the last 3 years everytime we play an OOC game like Akron, Maine, Tulane and it never happens. What have we've seen this year that leads anyone to think we are going to win by even 3 TD's?

I think we win but not sure where this idea that we blow them out of the water comes from. We don't ever do that even when we should. I guess I'm not seeing something.

Last year we should have beat UConn and it didn't happen. I'm not sure that I should even write that I think we will win.

Well, this is a crappy answer...but normally I would entirely agree with you. Look, I am completely contradicting myself here because I am the guy who for years has been frustrated and loud about our frustrating tendency to play to the level of our opponents. So this is a big departure for me.

If anything, I think UCONN is pretty awful and while I don't think we are good by any stretch of the imagination, I do believe we are better offensively than we have played. It is true that minimizing the TO's would have resulted in more points for the last three games. And at some point...they are going to put it together for a game. My issue (or one of my issues with Marrone and the Staff in general) is that these guys don't seem to be able to put it together for more consecutive weeks.

Just feel like Marrone is a fighter (although I do believe he was shaken after this weekend) and the team is much tougher than in the past. He lost the team last year but that's not going to happen this year I don't think.

Not saying we are going to Mizzou and winning or beating Louisville or anything like that. But I do think we beat a bad UCONN team on Friday somewhat handily.

44cuse

This 1000%, people on here talking about blowouts are laughable. UConn's offense was god awful last year to and scored at will in the second half. Lets try and actually win a game by 10+ points before we start talking about blowouts.

This 1000%, people on here talking about blowouts are laughable. UConn's offense was god awful last year to and scored at will in the second half. Lets try and actually win a game by 10+ points before we start talking about blowouts.

Our What games go the other from the P era. Marrone's What games are like WVU last year where things click and we execute (Pinstripe Bowl). Predicting that against UCONN.

Will give the "we have turned the corner" crowd the opportunity to say it again. Don't get me wrong, we have not. But we're due for a good game.

44cuse

Our What games go the other from the P era. Marrone's What games are like WVU last year where things click and we execute (Pinstripe Bowl). Predicting that against UCONN.

Will give the "we have turned the corner" crowd the opportunity to say it again. Don't get me wrong, we have not. But we're due for a good game.

44cuse

You maybe right but I dont see UConn as that type of game. UConn has a decent Defense and a ball control run offense where they will try to run as much clock as possible. I certainly would love to see us finally drop the hammer on someone but both offenses are going to take 17 play marathons to score running a lot of clock. Its likely to be a closer type game with SU hopefully up 10+.

You maybe right but I dont see UConn as that type of game. UConn has a decent Defense and a ball control run offense where they will try to run as much clock as possible. I certainly would love to see us finally drop the hammer on someone but both offenses are going to take 17 play marathons to score running a lot of clock. Its likely to be a closer type game with SU hopefully up 10+.

If SU can get a decent lead and force UConn to pass it could go our way big time. Not saying it will but I have more confidence in SU's offense coming from behind by double digits than I would UConn.

Won't cheer or boo Coach P, most of the problems in his last yrs, were Buzz and Jake who let the world of college football pass them bye. I hope we win, but with all the mistakes we make week after week, we could easily lose.

16-20 = a .441 winning percentage

19-24 = a .444 winning percentage (DM)

OK, so we've moved on from Disaster (GRob) to the "Bad P". Now, Marrone has to get over the hump and give us the "Good P".

Yep. Yet I guarantee you that there will be a handful, maybe more, of fans who will cheer when he runs on the field. Those fans would be an embarrassment to our program.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
I will be one of those. I dont think applauding a man that gave us all those years of good football is embarassing in the least

You need to put a Post-It on your monitor that reads something like: "Will this post make me look like stupid?" and look it before you hit "post reply."

Do you really think that SU should win by 21?

Three scores could be winning by as low as 6 (= 3 safeties) or 9 (= 3 FGs).

Why does there always have to be some sort of symbolic or subliminal or must-win meaning behind each game? Why can't SU just play a normal ******* game. This **** drives me nuts.
There's nothing fuzzy about it. A successful season this year means we get to a bowl game. An unsuccessful season means we don't. Given the schedule, there are a set of scenarios to getting to six wins. There aren't many scenarios left to a successful season. Being competitive in games is not success, that's "symbolic".

I'd bet Stan's net worth we'll see the tight end throw back call by Deleone...

And it'll burn our aggressive D for a 30 yd pick up or a TD (or both).

EDIT - I still think we win. Would it be too much to ask for a good ole fashion curb-stomping? It'll only partially make up for our horrific record against them.

Have to pat myself on the back by bumping this thread & reminding the board that I predicted the TE throwback for a TD.

Yes, I know it's petty and I'm a stounad for bumping this but I just got home and am still celebrating our victory!!

You need to put a Post-It on your monitor that reads something like: "Will this post make me look like stupid?" and look it before you hit "post reply."

007 from now on you need to put a Post-it on your monitor that reads something like "Will this post make me look stupid?" and look at it before you hit "post reply."

Have to pat myself on the back by bumping this thread & reminding the board that I predicted the TE throwback for a TD.

Yes, I know it's petty and I'm a stounad for bumping this but I just got home and am still celebrating our victory!!

And you were spot on about the yardage of the play. Kudos.

This is a funny post

1000%

He handled himself with the utmost class throughout his tenure here...and was nothing but class when he was unceremoniously released. He never did anything to embarrass the university...

Agree with this 100%.

I'm guessing you've inserted a similar post on your desktop :)