So who wanted dion gone? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

So who wanted dion gone?

d williams was a cancer every year he was here, thats 1 for you. josh wright was a headcase too thats 2. i dont get caught up on where a player is ranked, means nothing to me i judge them on seeing them play for myself. im not giving the player a get out of jail free card because they are young im giving them a 2nd chance for the same exact reason.

you confuse head case with cancer. you confuse ball hog with cancer. williams may be the closest, but even he never told the coach to off in the middle of the game nor complain loudly about pt. you are the one that said many. almost finding one isn't even close to many. you are making excuses for his behavior last year so that makes you an enabler. were you one of his f/b friends last year egging him on telling him he was the greatest and he should be the star and if jb didn't realize that he should just go to the nba now and get that money?

no been there before the season started studly and you cant do that yourself.

have to agree with a/c here. can't change your own sig and he asked me to do it preseason so i did.

you confuse head case with cancer. you confuse ball hog with cancer. williams may be the closest, but even he never told the coach to off in the middle of the game nor complain loudly about pt. you are the one that said many. almost finding one isn't even close to many. you are making excuses for his behavior last year so that makes you an enabler. were you one of his f/b friends last year egging him on telling him he was the greatest and he should be the star and if jb didn't realize that he should just go to the nba now and get that money?
d will was worse than waiters has been to date imo.

We've had kids do far worse than anything Dion has done--guys who are viewed as saints... Kid had an attitude problem, seems to have worked it out. He'll never be the humble kid that everybody seems to love on here, but I don't want a team full of nuns. As long as he remembers what's getting him more playing time, he'll be fine.

We've had kids do far worse than anything Dion has done--guys who are viewed as saints..

from a team standpoint or is this just a strawman?

I never wanted Dion gone, but the extent of his improvement in all respects has exceeded my expectations.

great job, Dion !!

PS - Probably also a great job by the staff to have gotten thru to him !!!

No
I'll stop there. I'm not defending how he acted last year, but some of you went a little overboard with him. JB coaches and treats everybody fairly, but not the same. Not hard to believe that some players have a problem with that or at least take longer to accept it.

Bees, I totally agree that Dion needed a kick in the A$$... looks like he got one and I will wait here in cautious optimism that it sticks. I do want to throw in my 2-cents though on the whole off thing, though. My younger sister just recently got a job teaching in Philly. Just three nights ago we caught up for the first time since she landed the gig, and when I asked her about the kids (high schoolers) she said that they seem like good kids, but they have no problem telling teachers and other adults to off. I am just a country boy, so I sure as hell can't tell you the ins and outs of the young, black, urban brainwave... but I do understand that these kids come from a completely different environment and are not going to just fit nice and neatly into the box that we expect them to. Unless he threw a chair at JB while saying it, I say let that one incident go. Too often people want to rush through the learning process, yet that is exactly the worst way to teach.

Bees, I totally agree that Dion needed a kick in the A$$... looks like he got one and I will wait here in cautious optimism that it sticks. I do want to throw in my 2-cents though on the whole **** off thing, though. My younger sister just recently got a job teaching in Philly. Just three nights ago we caught up for the first time since she landed the gig, and when I asked her about the kids (high schoolers) she said that they seem like good kids, but they have no problem telling teachers and other adults to **** off. I am just a country boy, so I sure as hell can't tell you the ins and outs of the young, black, urban brainwave... but I do understand that these kids come from a completely different environment and are not going to just fit nice and neatly into the box that we expect them to. Unless he threw a chair at JB while saying it, I say let that one incident go. Too often people want to rush through the learning process, yet that is exactly the worst way to teach.

i hear you, but we have others that come from the same or worse background. and i wasn't pointing to just the you episode. it also includes many other hissy fits in the locker room and at coaches as well as the attitude on the court etc. it's a broader picture than one 10 second melt down.

Then you no doubt have proof that 98.25% of the posters on this board wanted him gone. I don't believe I even commented on the issue, so I'm part of the 1.75%.
you are the 99%

A wise man once said: Sometimes change is good for everyone.

Hopefully this is the changed Dion.

i hear you, but we have others that come from the same or worse background. and i wasn't pointing to just the you episode. it also includes many other hissy fits in the locker room and at coaches as well as the attitude on the court etc. it's a broader picture than one 10 second melt down.

I agree, I didn't mean to make it sound like that one case was the end all be all of the discussion. You are right, we have had kids from the same background figure it out. For all my criticisms of his court game, Scoop has made major strides. Ricky completely changed his work ethic. And now we see Dion making similar advancements in attitude. So the fact you bring up cases from similar backgrounds seems to me like it could actually be taken as a positive for Dion, as there is a history of success in place. Let's not forget that Dion's talent was much greater than the other Philly guys, so seeing even more immaturity wasn't really all that surprising. Despite being the grumpy old white guy from Lyons, I think the Philadelphia kids are an example that Coach does care about these guys and he still can relate to the young blood.

I will admit as well I wanted him gone for the exact same reasons as bees mentioned. Crap attitude and he hurt the team in more ways than his points against Marquette helped.

I am still holding steady on my feelings for him and I hope he continues to at least show he can be a team player and not an opera singer. I would be pleasantly surprised if he continued with the positive attitude but am not going to be fooled by 6 games so far.

My father used to say "I'm from Missouri, show me" (which I found odd because he was born and raised in Syracuse but anyways)...So I want Dion to show me he can do it all year.

You're proud you've been supporting a kid that was always playing 1 vs 5? Sure he's had a great couple of games but really?

I'll STILL admit that I'd do without him, as long as he maintains his attitude of me vs everyone else. This is a team sport. If he wants all the attention, he needs to start playing tennis.

This post is a softball. Yes, some wanted Dion gone and I will stand up front and center and say that I did. But I wanted him gone for very good reason as did others both on this board and "elsewhere". Because he is doing ALL the right things this year does not wipe away the facts of last year.

We had a player that was out of shape and overweight who was 100% a ME ME ME player on the court and often out of control. We had a player that had no problem in telling their coach to off in the middle of a game. We had a player who was a bad teammate in the locker room and complained to coaches and players that he should be starting. We had a player who resorted to tweeting his complaints. So why WOULD someone want him on the team? Because he had potential? He was also coming off a high school career that saw him go to what? 3-4 different schools? People had every right based on the facts of the matter above, to feel it would be addition by subtraction.

It is easy to sit here now and say nay nay nay. But I'll bet for every 10 players whose attitude was as bad as Dion's last year (the worst we have ever had on an SU team), that 9 of them would be gone gone gone at most schools. MCW is in the same boat this year. Heralded player, shows potential, but has been getting yanked real quick and seen his minutes diminish. Is anyone calling for him to be off the team? No, and why not? Because he isn't exhibiting the ME ME ME attitude on the court and off it and will be better off for it.

Kudo's to Dion for changing everything around for himself on and off the court but it doesn't change the facts of what was happening last year, the history of the prior 4 years of HS and the fact that many people said enough of this BS.
I wanted him gone. Addition by subtraction. I think its great how he has turned himself around at this point in the season. Could not explain my dislike for Dion any better then how Bees has already expressed. I for one am glad I was wrong. I just hope he does not disappoint.

You're proud you've been supporting a kid that was always playing 1 vs 5? Sure he's had a great couple of games but really?

I'll STILL admit that I'd do without him, as long as he maintains his attitude of me vs everyone else. This is a team sport. If he wants all the attention, he needs to start playing tennis.

The bulls fans are saying the same thing about Derrick Rose right now. And said the same thing about Jordan.

Dion is the second biggest key to this team. If you think we are going to ride Triche right now think again. KJO and Dion are those guys.

This post is a softball. Yes, some wanted Dion gone and I will stand up front and center and say that I did. But I wanted him gone for very good reason as did others both on this board and "elsewhere". Because he is doing ALL the right things this year does not wipe away the facts of last year.

We had a player that was out of shape and overweight who was 100% a ME ME ME player on the court and often out of control. We had a player that had no problem in telling their coach to off in the middle of a game. We had a player who was a bad teammate in the locker room and complained to coaches and players that he should be starting. We had a player who resorted to tweeting his complaints. So why WOULD someone want him on the team? Because he had potential? He was also coming off a high school career that saw him go to what? 3-4 different schools? People had every right based on the facts of the matter above, to feel it would be addition by subtraction.

It is easy to sit here now and say nay nay nay. But I'll bet for every 10 players whose attitude was as bad as Dion's last year (the worst we have ever had on an SU team), that 9 of them would be gone gone gone at most schools. MCW is in the same boat this year. Heralded player, shows potential, but has been getting yanked real quick and seen his minutes diminish. Is anyone calling for him to be off the team? No, and why not? Because he isn't exhibiting the ME ME ME attitude on the court and off it and will be better off for it.

Kudo's to Dion for changing everything around for himself on and off the court but it doesn't change the facts of what was happening last year, the history of the prior 4 years of HS and the fact that many people said enough of this BS.

I've got some news for ya Bees-and this will be blasphemous- Derrick Coleman 1st year(and more)- jerk, Billy Owens-jerk,Pearl Washington-big-time jerk. If you want to run every 1st year jack-ass out of town and not give them at least a chance of growing up,you would have to take away about 300 of JB's wins.

I did, and I still do. I thought he was one of the half dozen most unlikeable players JB has ever had on his bench. Six games against overmatched opponents tells us next to nothing, while his long history as a self centered prima donna lingers in the atmosphere. It's when things get tough that Dion typically shows his true colors (his to Boeheim came in the midst of the game losing streak last year). He didn't start freezing out his teammates until mid season, either (at least not obviously so).

I hope that I am wrong about Dion, and if it comes to that, I will be as willing to admit it at the end of the season as I am willing to step out against the popular tide of the moment and admit that I am still extremely doubtful of him today.

I must admit I thank God every night that you have absolutely no say in any decisions regarding SU sports.

I've got some news for ya Bees-and this will be blasphemous- Derrick Coleman 1st year(and more)- jerk, Billy Owens-jerk,Pearl Washington-big-time jerk. If you want to run every 1st year jack-ass out of town and not give them at least a chance of growing up,you would have to take away about 300 of JB's wins.

Big difference is those 3 you mentioned were bonafied all americans as freshmen so you can excuse the attitude.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom