So you can add two players… | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

So you can add two players…

Marvin Harrison and Chandler Jones.

Or Offensive lineman and Chandler Jones.

I'd love to see what Tim Green would do in this defense. Attack! Attack! Attack!
Can't argue with Marvin Harrison. Wish we had MH Jr. right now.

Flannery was my first thought on offense. That bumps Vet and helps solidify the O-line. Runner-Up on offense would be Gedney. Excellent TE and it would move Gadsden to WR. Win-win.

On defense I'd go with Kevin Mitchell. Darton has been solid but Mitchell would be a game changer. We're getting pressure on the QB with our current ends, so Mitchell it is. Ted Gregory, a consensus AA would be my second choice.

Modern is a long time. If I limit it to since we've been kinda stinky (or just plain stinky), I'd go with Pugh and either Art Jones or Slayton. Our weakest position seems to be TE though and I'd think Provo (or Ravian Pierce) would be a massive upgrade at the position. But adding Pugh means you probably dont have to run out a fake TE anyway.

So if we’re going to build the best 3-3-5 defense..Trying to keep a couple current guys there..I’d go off the top of my head.

Freeney Mitchell Green up front
Wooden - Franklin - MJones @LB
Abrams / GWiliams at corner
Paul / Tony Jones @safety
Tebucky Jones @Rover

I’m sure there are some better options I forgot.

Freeney is just a no-brainer. He single-handedly changes the dynamic of the entire game.

Offense: if I can ensure that there is no personal drama and he is simply playing to the best of his physical ability, I'm going Mike Williams at receiver.

To the current team. 1 offense. 1 defense.
They have to be SU players from the modern era. (The Dome era.) Who have you got?

I think I’d go with a second impact WR on offense… thinking Marvin Harrison. Give Gadsden a chance to not be the main focus of the defensive backfield all of the time.

On defense, I think I’d have to go Freeney. But would probably also consider a run stopper. Ted Gregory? Not that Darton hasn’t done great. But, I mean it’s Freeney or Gregory.

Who do you have?
All great names mentioned above. Fun topic.

Maybe Gedney on offense because he would be such an improvement over Max.

MH is nice, but let's not forget Art Monk.

I didn't see Dan Conley mentioned. But a DL would probably be better. Let's give some love to Rob Burnett and Blaise Winter.

But in the end, it's probably Freeney and McNabb. Sorry Shred.

Last edited:
I can see Harrison and Freeney.

But QB is the most important position in all of sports that elevates every other grouping on offense. You put in McNabb and all of a sudden I think you'd see Cooper et al amazingly being "better". And while Shrader, whom I love, can run, McNabb puts the fear of god into defenses.

On D, I know our LBs are awesome, but if you dropped in Bullock, I would love to see what would happen. Go back and watch the '98 Orange Bowl against Florida. Freeney I get. He fundamentally changes the dynamic of the defense and an edge rusher that can get pressure every down is incredible. Big shout to Kevin Mitchell choice as well.

I know everyone is filling gaps, I may double down on strengths.

On O it has to be WR. It is our weakest position by far. We need someone who can go up and get the ball. I might go with AET here. He isn't the best WR in the Dome era but he fits well with the current group of WRs.

Our D is pretty good. Having a pass rusher makes everything else easier. Since we play a 3-3-5 you have to go with Tim Green. I love Freeney but he isn't a fit.

If we were limiting it to Dino era:

1)Ishmael (AET is tempting since he could take the top off a defense better than SI) and Cisco

Limiting it to > 2000:

1)Mike Williams and Freeney

Since 1980:

1)Rob Moore and Kevin Mitchell

On O it has to be WR. It is our weakest position by far. We need someone who can go up and get the ball. I might go with AET here.
I always forget about him because he was here so briefly. But yeah could you imagine how much more work Gadsden could do if opposing defenses had to focus on another big-time deep threat at the same time? Even someone like Jamal Custis would work.

To the current team. 1 offense. 1 defense.
They have to be SU players from the modern era. (The Dome era.) Who have you got?

I think I’d go with a second impact WR on offense… thinking Marvin Harrison. Give Gadsden a chance to not be the main focus of the defensive backfield all of the time.

On defense, I think I’d have to go Freeney. But would probably also consider a run stopper. Ted Gregory? Not that Darton hasn’t done great. But, I mean it’s Freeney or Gregory.

Who do you have?
Harrison and Freeney.

And, it's not even close.

McNabb is obviously the greatest QB in program history and is like a Top 40ish QB in the history of the sport, but I'm not convinced he would run this specific style of offense better than Garrett.

A) why wouldn't he? B) they'd have it tailored made for him.

Freeney is just a no-brainer. He single-handedly changes the dynamic of the entire game.

Offense: if I can ensure that there is no personal drama and he is simply playing to the best of his physical ability, I'm going Mike Williams at receiver.
yeah, I have no idea how you can pick someone else on D. he put that 2001 team on his back, no way they come close to a 10 win season without him, he simply dominated

yeah, I have no idea how you can pick someone else on D. he put that 2001 team on his back, no way they come close to a 10 win season without him, he simply dominated

We play a 3-3-5 so he wouldn't have the same responsibilities or freedoms as he did playing in a 4-3.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom