So, You're A Candidate for SU AD | Syracusefan.com

So, You're A Candidate for SU AD

OrangePA

Living Legend
And the first question you get during the interview is "do you honor our contract with Mike Hopkins to make him the next BB HC?"

What's your answer??

OrangePA said:
And the first question you get during the interview is "do you honor our contract with Mike Hopkins to make him the next BB HC?" What's your answer??
Do we have confirmation that there is actually a contract?

If you are smart, you say Yes. I've said it before, but the next AD would be wise to give Hop the 1st shot at succeeding Boeheim. If not, and their choice doesn't deliver, it's going to be very hard for them to convince people that they are the right person to keep SU Athletics moving forward, much in the way Gross' choice of G-Rob did.

Since there isn't a new AD, this is all speculative. In other words, just one girl's opinion... nothing more, nothing less.

1) Mike has worked for, and has earned the job. Twenty years in the trenches of recruiting, training, mentoring, babysitting, being away from his family, building relationships, giving his all to Syracuse University. It is not just a question of "loyalty;" it's a question of all the productive, successful, hard work he has given to the school.

2) He's one of the most respected and well-liked assistant coaches in America; his name appears on every such list. He has received way more "feelers" from other schools than have been reported in the media ... because he has said "no" before they could advance to a public discussion stage.

3) He is an amazing recruiter and mentor. Kids love him; their parents love him. He has established relationships up and down the east coast. He has the respect of everyone he meets. For example, the relationships he developed with Hakim Warrick's mother and GMac's parents are classic examples of this.

4) He is a combination of the best of Jim Boeheim (basketball knowledge, respect from peers, commitment to SU, ability to recruit and develop players, etc) ... and the things some here would like to see done a bit differently (warm and fuzzy with the media, perceived openness to new ideas and change, great skill with all forms of new media, etc).

5) In spite of many opportunities to go elsewhere to run his own show and provide better for his family, he has stayed at Syracuse because of loyalty and promises made to him. Yes, let's assume there is a contract.

As I said, this is just one girl's opinion (because I am entitled to one)... and please do not read anything more or less into it... but I feel very strongly about this.

Last edited:
Since there isn't even a new AD yet, this is all speculation. In other words, just one girl's opinion... nothing more, nothing less.

1) Mike has worked for, and has earned the job. Twenty years in the trenches of recruiting, training, mentoring, babysitting, being away from his family, building relationships, giving his all to Syracuse University. It is not just a question of "loyalty;" it's a question of all the productive, successful, hard work he has given to the school.

I agree with all of this, but especially point #1. Hop did not stay at SU for 20 years so that he could be passed over when the HC job opens up. He's one of the best assistants in the nation. He's earned the job.

And the first question you get during the interview is "do you honor our contract with Mike Hopkins to make him the next BB HC?"

What's your answer??

I'd want to see the contract. If he's the next coach and that's final, well then I'd honor it and evaluate him fairly going forward

If there was no contract and I was asked this question, I would say, "Why isn't there a contract already?"

If they want to keep Hopkins and are worried about me letting him go, I would lay out some expectations criteria in advance so they would have some assurance that I won't can him a year in just to bring in my own guy.

Secretly, I'd want to hire a very good coach with a proven head coaching record - SU basketball can be pickier than SU football. But if Hopkins met expectations that were fair to me, Hop, and the school, great!

We don't owe him anything though

Basketball's not that broken, they should hire a football centered AD who will leave well enough alone and make sure they're not doing anything stupid off the court

If you are smart, you say Yes. I've said it before, but the next AD would be wise to give Hop the 1st shot at succeeding Boeheim. If not, and their choice doesn't deliver, it's going to be very hard for them to convince people that they are the right person to keep SU Athletics moving forward, much in the way Gross' choice of G-Rob did.

If you are the new AD it only makes sense. If you come in and change everything by hiring outside of the program and the bball train comes off the rails its on you. If you hand it over to Hopkins as planned and it goes south (which I highly doubt since everything is in place for success to continue) you can still say hey you guys had him in place my hands were tied and I never got to bring in my own guy. Its a no brainer for the new guy IMO because he can't really lose.

I agree with all of this, but especially point #1. Hop did not stay at SU for 20 years so that he could be passed over when the HC job opens up. He's one of the best assistants in the nation. He's earned the job.

Certainly agree that he has earned the right to have first crack at replacing JB. Whether he ultimately succeeds or fails he should be the next Head Basketball Coach at SU IMO.

I think if the AD candidate is smart, he says something like this:

"Everything I have seen and heard makes me think that Mike Hopkins would be a great successor to JB when he retires. So I would go into the job with the presumption that Hopkins would replace JB. If things changed, or my impressions changed once I got into the job, I would be willing to reassess just as I would be willing to reassess any preconceived notion I have in my professional career. To me, the first order of business, and the one that would take up much of my time, would be to assess where the football team stands and how to get it to the level it had in the late 1980s and 1990s."

I agree with jordoo that if the answer is "no, I want my own guy," that might be a deal killer.

I would want to ensure the greatest likelihood that the program would to continue winning a lot, a lot of games.

So, my answer would be and emphatic "yes!" Also, I'm not a douche who would take away a promised position from somebody who has earned it and passed up other opportunities because of the promise. The public backlash would not be easy to handle either; especially if I couldn't convince a legitimate future HOF'er to come here (not saying Hop is a future HOF coach).

If I were a candidate for any very high profile D1 AD job, I would want the freedom to make my own hire for the head basketball coach. I can't imagine taking a job of that magnitude being told who to hire.

I would want the ability to read the contract, if one existed, and be able to change it. (I am sure his named is spelled wrong. ;)) However, I think it would be in the best interest of the program to go with Mike as a successor to JB. I would just want the freedom to hire him on my own terms as a D1 AD.

My answer to that hypothetical interview question would be that personnel issues need to be handled confidentially.

My answer would be:

"If this is the biggest issue that you feel is facing your Athletic Department then perhaps I should be looking elsewhere. The focus of this position at this time should not be this matter. It needs to be the framework that the AD will establish so that we can remain competitive and remain compliant throughout the probation and afterwards.

As for Mike, I would need to do my due diligence on Mike and the commitments that have been made, which I would hope the university would grant me. Everything on the surface seems that he would be a good candidate and in line for the position.

But there are more important aspects to this job that I feel need to be addressed first in this interview"

Hiring Mike Hopkins really is a no lose situation for a new AD. A new AD wouldn't be blamed for Hop's failure like they would be blamed for the failure of their own guy.

i would look them right in the eye and say...No.

and follow it up with...but he has certainly earned the right and the respect to be a final candidate. That said, the position of Head Basketball Coach at Syracuse is quite possibly the most prestigeous job here. therefore i feel the job of AD deserves the right and the respect to interview and vet all possible candidates, to make sure that the next guy, is the right guy...for years to come. To be force fed a decision that previous regimes have made, puts my hands tied and basically invalidates this process. Mike Hopkins may very well be the guy, or he may not be. I cannot say either till the actual time comes to make that decision. To be asked to make it now, is quite absurd.

What's your answer??

The only proper answer is "When Jim decides to retire, we'll see where we are at as a program and evaluate our options. It depends on the price of Mike's buy-out, and what possible candidates may be available."

So did Bill Guthridge.

If I were a candidate for any very high profile D1 AD job, I would want the freedom to make my own hire for the head basketball coach. I can't imagine taking a job of that magnitude being told who to hire.

The only way this is not the case is if they bring in some guy with strong SU connections already, so that he would be inclined to give Mike his shot.

So did Bill Guthridge.

Does anyone know if UNC tried to get Roy right after Dean or did Roy say No until Doherty flopped and it was clear he could "save" UNC hoops?