So, You're A Candidate for SU AD | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

So, You're A Candidate for SU AD

i would look them right in the eye and say...No.

and follow it up with...but he has certainly earned the right and the respect to be a final candidate. That said, the position of Head Basketball Coach at Syracuse is quite possibly the most prestigeous job here. therefore i feel the job of AD deserves the right and the respect to interview and vet all possible candidates, to make sure that the next guy, is the right guy...for years to come. To be force fed a decision that previous regimes have made, puts my hands tied and basically invalidates this process. Mike Hopkins may very well be the guy, or he may not be. I cannot say either till the actual time comes to make that decision. To be asked to make it now, is quite absurd.

I don't often agree with you, but this strikes me as about right.

So did Bill Guthridge.

Guthridge went to two final fours in three seasons. His situation was different than most "replacing the legend" situations because Dean stepped down two months before the season started.

If I have to hire Mike Hopkins for the job without interview anyone else in the nation and due a proper head coach search then I wouldn't want the job. Not saying Mike Hopkins isn't the best and most qualified person to take over I just want to do my own search and come to the conclusion on my own not be told who I have to hire. Don't want to make the same mistake football and quickly hire from within without looking around and seeing who else may be interested.

Does anyone know if UNC tried to get Roy right after Dean or did Roy say No until Doherty flopped and it was clear he could "save" UNC hoops?
UNC tried to get Roy after Bill Guthridge retired. However, Roy had just recruited Kirk Hinrich and Nick Collinson to Kansas and he didn't want to bolt on them and wanted a NC.
Now Melo and SU took care of that and after Doherty flopped Roy went home.

I would want to ensure the greatest likelihood that the program would to continue winning a lot, a lot of games.
If an AD candidate says something like that, he's not getting the job.
There's a reason there's a vacancy and it's not because the previous AD hid his great passion for being a professor and special assistant.

Athletic success is just one requirement.
The job requires someone with strong experience, a record of success and a CLEAN reputation.
The last element substantially limits the field.
It's unlikely to go to someone who brought in a successful head coach who fled to the NFL and left chaos and scandal behind.

As for Mike Hopkins getting the job, loyalty should be an important consideration.
And, on the issue of loyalty, Mike Hopkins should find a more appropriate way to express his own than by saying, "Coach is a warrior. He's a superhero. Superhero."

So did Bill Guthridge.

Even if Guthridge was a failure, it doesn't have any bearing on Hopkins or his likelihood of success. I think there are enough strong indicators that Hopkins has a good chance of maintaining the program at its current level to make the pros of hiring him outweigh the risks of going outside. Remember, if you do hire an outside guy you will be showing Hop the door so in rapid succession you lose a HOF HC and a 20 year assistant who has been at the day to day controls of recruiting and many other critical aspects for some time now. Pretty hefty double whammy for the new guy, who by definition will be a gamble already.

Since there isn't even a new AD yet, this is all speculation. In other words, just one girl's opinion... nothing more, nothing less.

1) Mike has worked for, and has earned the job. Twenty years in the trenches of recruiting, training, mentoring, babysitting, being away from his family, building relationships, giving his all to Syracuse University. It is not just a question of "loyalty;" it's a question of all the productive, successful, hard work he has given to the school.

2) He's one of the most respected and well-liked assistant coaches in America; his name appears on every such list. He has received way more "feelers" from other schools than have been reported in the media ... because he has said "no" before they could advance to a public discussion stage.

3) He is an amazing recruiter and mentor. Kids love him; their parents love him. He has established relationships up and down the easts coast. He has the respect of everyone he meets. For example, the relationships he developed with Hakim Warrick's mother and GMac's parents are classic examples of this.

4) He is a combination of the best of Jim Boeheim (basketball knowledge, respect from peers, commitment to SU, ability to recruit and develop players, etc) ... and the things some here would like to see done a bit differently (warm and fuzzy with the media, perceived openness to new ideas and change, great skill with all forms of new media, etc).

5) In spite of many opportunities to go elsewhere to run his own show and provide better for his family, he has stayed at Syracuse because of loyalty and promises made to him. Yes, let's assume there is a contract.

As I said, this is just one girl's opinion (because I am entitled to one)... and please do not read anything more or less into it... but I feel very strongly about this.

Yeah but...you could argue when the time comes you pick the best possible coach you can get for the job.

There's a reason there's a vacancy and it's not because the previous AD hid his great passion for being a professor and special assistant.

The job requires someone with strong experience, a record of success and a CLEAN reputation.

Never worked at a YMCA. Just saying...

Chancellor to Candidate "Listen you will have the power and say over everything in regards to Syracuse Athletics except who the next head basketball coach will be when Coach Boeheim steps aside. Mike Hopkins will be the next coach".

Simple. Then if they say no then on to the next candidate.

The last element substantially limits the field.
It's unlikely to go to someone who brought in a successful head coach who fled to the NFL and left chaos and scandal behind.

As for Mike Hopkins getting the job, loyalty should be an important consideration.
And, on the issue of loyalty, Mike Hopkins should find a more appropriate way to express his own than by saying, "Coach is a warrior. He's a superhero. Superhero."

The part you quoted was meant as an endorsement of Hopkins for head coach.

You don't think Boeheim knows all of this?

Most likely scenario is this, in my opinion: Boeheim knows when he is going to retire, but holds off until right before the start of a season. Whether that's one year, two years, three years from now, who knows. But that's the only way to ensure that Hopkins gets the job - even if on an interim basis.

Then Hopkins has a 6-month audition. And if he does well enough and gains the public/fan support, an AD would be foolish to fire him and bring in a whole new regime.

Most likely scenario is this, in my opinion: Boeheim knows when he is going to retire, but holds off until right before the start of a season. Whether that's one year, two years, three years from now, who knows. But that's the only way to ensure that Hopkins gets the job - even if on an interim basis.

Then Hopkins has a 6-month audition. And if he does well enough and gains the public/fan support, an AD would be foolish to fire him and bring in a whole new regime.
absolutely.

and that will be the play.

hence, why a few us think JB is here for only 2 more years.

Even if Guthridge was a failure, it doesn't have any bearing on Hopkins or his likelihood of success. I think there are enough strong indicators that Hopkins has a good chance of maintaining the program at its current level to make the pros of hiring him outweigh the risks of going outside. Remember, if you do hire an outside guy you will be showing Hop the door so in rapid succession you lose a HOF HC and a 20 year assistant who has been at the day to day controls of recruiting and many other critical aspects for some time now. Pretty hefty double whammy for the new guy, who by definition will be a gamble already.

If the only criteria is recruiting and running practice, then I agree. But nobody knows how Mike will be as a bench coach, nobody knows how Mike will be as the "bad cop" when there is a problem kid on the roster, and nobody knows how Mike will deal with his first losing streak.

Guthridge went to two final fours in three seasons. His situation was different than most "replacing the legend" situations because Dean stepped down two months before the season started.

Here is Guthridge's record. He inherited a team in '98 that had been to the Final Four the year before and had several returning starters. The next 2 seasons were probably a better indicator of his record.

North Carolina Tar Heels (Atlantic Coast Conference) (1997–2000)
1997–98 North Carolina 34–4 13–3 2nd NCAA Final Four
1998–99 North Carolina 24–10 10–6 3rd NCAA First Round
1999–00 North Carolina 22–14 10–6 3rd NCAA Final Four

That's just what Calhoun did to UConn. It was kind of a dick move to the University, if you ask me. It screams "I'm more important than any of you, and I get to decide my successor, not you."

Loyalty is nice but basketball is big business and winning trumps all. That said, I think Hop should get the job. As CTO said, he's an incredible recruiter and could potentially continue the best of the JB era while still being open to new things. Another reality that folks might not like to accept is that, while Syracuse is a high-profile big-name basketball program, recruiting people to work at the university is a huge challenge (this applies both to athletics and academics). Compensation is often low relative to peers and - fairly or not - the city is most known for bad weather and rust belt decay. It's hard to overcome that reputation and we're probably being naive to think that every head coach in America is dying to come here.

I also think it's laughable that college and pro teams are always looking for head coaching experience. That's fine, but it usually means they'll take highly unsuccessful former head coaches over successful assistants, which doesn't make much sense to me.

my answer: "Well, given the statements that your previous AD has made publicly on more than one occasion, it is clear that Syracuse has an oral contract with Mike, so we are going to be paying him like a head coach whether we hire him or not. Since he is also certainly among the most qualified candidates for the job on top of that fact, then yes, I would give him the first opportunity to build upon the great successes of Coach Boeheim."

That's just what Calhoun did to UConn. It was kind of a dick move to the University, if you ask me. It screams "I'm more important than any of you, and I get to decide my successor, not you."

Boeheim kind of is more important than most, if not all, of the employees currently at the University. This may sound flippant but he is. He certainly has generated more revenue for the University than anybody there. Quite possibly ever.

(Too lazy to look up gift amounts - I'm sure the Crouse's and the Archbold's have given a lot. Eggers, etc. But generated more revenue? Unlikely.)

I don't think anyone would fault the new AD for giving Hop the job, even if he fails. That new AD gets a pass on that one.

Chancellor to Candidate "Listen you will have the power and say over everything in regards to Syracuse Athletics except who the next head basketball coach will be when Coach Boeheim steps aside. Mike Hopkins will be the next coach".

Simple. Then if they say no then on to the next candidate.
Which may significantly limit your choice of AD candidates.

Since there isn't even a new AD yet, this is all speculation. In other words, just one girl's opinion... nothing more, nothing less.

1) Mike has worked for, and has earned the job. Twenty years in the trenches of recruiting, training, mentoring, babysitting, being away from his family, building relationships, giving his all to Syracuse University. It is not just a question of "loyalty;" it's a question of all the productive, successful, hard work he has given to the school.

2) He's one of the most respected and well-liked assistant coaches in America; his name appears on every such list. He has received way more "feelers" from other schools than have been reported in the media ... because he has said "no" before they could advance to a public discussion stage.

3) He is an amazing recruiter and mentor. Kids love him; their parents love him. He has established relationships up and down the east coast. He has the respect of everyone he meets. For example, the relationships he developed with Hakim Warrick's mother and GMac's parents are classic examples of this.

4) He is a combination of the best of Jim Boeheim (basketball knowledge, respect from peers, commitment to SU, ability to recruit and develop players, etc) ... and the things some here would like to see done a bit differently (warm and fuzzy with the media, perceived openness to new ideas and change, great skill with all forms of new media, etc).

5) In spite of many opportunities to go elsewhere to run his own show and provide better for his family, he has stayed at Syracuse because of loyalty and promises made to him. Yes, let's assume there is a contract.

As I said, this is just one girl's opinion (because I am entitled to one)... and please do not read anything more or less into it... but I feel very strongly about this.

Very well stated. Very good facts/opinions. Actually if this were the answer in the interview, I would say, Joyce, you are hired as our new athletic director!!

I think if there is a contract, the contract is with the university not with Dr. Gross, and therefore it has to be honored. If we "hired" Hop today and made it official, the new athletic director would have to accept that Hop is the new coach in 2-3 years. I think an existing contract making him the" coach in waiting" would be as good as if we had "hired" him already.

Also I do not want any more bad publicity associated with this program. Not honoring such a commitment will not look good. Your word and your honor is not replaceable as a school, and it would be a horrible example to set for the program by not honoring a commitment that was potentially made to Hop several years ago.

If we don't honor Hop's contract whether verbal or written, the media is going to think this place is a giant crap show and we have no idea what we are doing. How can you not honor it?

I want the best AD possible. Why would the best possible AD accept a job where he/she will not get to choose the next Men's Basketball coach?