So, You're A Candidate for SU AD | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

So, You're A Candidate for SU AD

And the first question you get during the interview is "do you honor our contract with Mike Hopkins to make him the next BB HC?"

What's your answer??

Am I going to get a contract long enough to guarantee that I am here to make that decision?

If I were a candidate for any very high profile D1 AD job, I would want the freedom to make my own hire for the head basketball coach. I can't imagine taking a job of that magnitude being told who to hire.
Thank you for your time and interest. Here is your parting gift.

i would look them right in the eye and say...No.

and follow it up with...but he has certainly earned the right and the respect to be a final candidate. That said, the position of Head Basketball Coach at Syracuse is quite possibly the most prestigeous job here. therefore i feel the job of AD deserves the right and the respect to interview and vet all possible candidates, to make sure that the next guy, is the right guy...for years to come. To be force fed a decision that previous regimes have made, puts my hands tied and basically invalidates this process. Mike Hopkins may very well be the guy, or he may not be. I cannot say either till the actual time comes to make that decision. To be asked to make it now, is quite absurd.
Thank you for your time. Have a safe trip home.

I want the best AD possible. Why would the best possible AD accept a job where he/she will not get to choose the next Men's Basketball coach?
Because he wants the job? Sorry pal but we made a deal with Hopkins. It is a deal he has built his life around. Where I come from, you honor the deals you make. If a new A.D. candidate doesn't understand that, he isn't the best candidate in my book.

Thank you for your time. Have a safe trip home.
good.

thats fine, because i wouldnt want to work for an institution who would be so stupid and pigheaded to not let me do my job.

why have an AD? just let the chancellor/board do it.

or get a team of monkeys.

which it seems...is already in place.

Because he wants the job? Sorry pal but we made a deal with Hopkins. It is a deal he has built his life around. Where I come from, you honor the deals you make. If a new A.D. candidate doesn't understand that, he isn't the best candidate in my book.
please.

if hopkins gets offered 5mill and the Lakers job tomorrow...he gone.

Given all the points CTO and others have mentioned, can you imagine the bad press coming our way if Mike WASN'T offered the job? ESPN alone would smear us.

Given all the points CTO and others have mentioned, can you imagine the bad press coming our way if Mike WASN'T offered the job? ESPN alone would smear us.

not just bad press - the former AD publicly (and repeatedly) acknowledged that an oral agreement existed. It would be a slam dunk case for Mike's attorneys.

SU is going to pay him like a head coach one way or the other.

That's just what Calhoun did to UConn. It was kind of a dick move to the University, if you ask me. It screams "I'm more important than any of you, and I get to decide my successor, not you."

Or it says, we've already seen this movie starring Gross and Robinson where a new genius AD hires his version of the best available person for the job. Maybe Boeheim's view is (1) I've been here for 40+ years and am better qualified than any other person on earth to recognize what it takes to successfully run a Division I basketball program at Syracuse University, (2) I've given Mike Hopkins a more thorough vetting than any new AD can possibly give him, and (3) some type of commitment has already been made to him and he's done nothing to justify the school in not honoring that commitment.

Sorry pal but we made a deal with Hopkins. It is a deal he has built his life around. Where I come from, you honor the deals you make. .
I still have not seen any definitive evidence that this deal was ever made.

I have been looking, but I cannot find the quotes from years ago that suggested Hopkins is definitely the next coach. I do remember something along those lines, but I cannot find them.

If we don't honor Hop's contract whether verbal or written, the media is going to think this place is a giant crap show and we have no idea what we are doing. How can you not honor it?

I'm sure Mike's contract will be honored. And I would imagine that it has a buy-out clause in it.

I'm sure Mike's contract will be honored. And I would imagine that it has a buy-out clause in it.
i would imagine both of those scenarios to come to fruition.

the other thing is...who would make a play for it??

that could get ugly for all parties.

unless brad stevens wins a ring with the celtics next year and then decides he wants to go back to college...im not sure anyone could pull it off.

I see know reason why the AD field is limited if mike is given he job by the chancellor. Almost every AD hire there is a football and basketball coach already under contract sometimes with long term deals with large buyouts. For an AD to come in and with ability to hire a basketball and football coach day one of job just is not realistic .

Let's be honest. The football situation is very shaky and the new Ad might possibly be dealing with what to do with the direction of he football program in the next year or two. This would allow he AD to have plenty to deal with .

Any AD that does not understand the importance of locking up Hopkins does not deserve the job. See Arizona post Lute Olsen.

Since there isn't a new AD, this is all speculative. In other words, just one girl's opinion... nothing more, nothing less.

1) Mike has worked for, and has earned the job. Twenty years in the trenches of recruiting, training, mentoring, babysitting, being away from his family, building relationships, giving his all to Syracuse University. It is not just a question of "loyalty;" it's a question of all the productive, successful, hard work he has given to the school.

2) He's one of the most respected and well-liked assistant coaches in America; his name appears on every such list. He has received way more "feelers" from other schools than have been reported in the media ... because he has said "no" before they could advance to a public discussion stage.

3) He is an amazing recruiter and mentor. Kids love him; their parents love him. He has established relationships up and down the east coast. He has the respect of everyone he meets. For example, the relationships he developed with Hakim Warrick's mother and GMac's parents are classic examples of this.

4) He is a combination of the best of Jim Boeheim (basketball knowledge, respect from peers, commitment to SU, ability to recruit and develop players, etc) ... and the things some here would like to see done a bit differently (warm and fuzzy with the media, perceived openness to new ideas and change, great skill with all forms of new media, etc).

5) In spite of many opportunities to go elsewhere to run his own show and provide better for his family, he has stayed at Syracuse because of loyalty and promises made to him. Yes, let's assume there is a contract.

As I said, this is just one girl's opinion (because I am entitled to one)... and please do not read anything more or less into it... but I feel very strongly about this.
To add, it would seem his ability to succeed is probably no worse than 99% of any other candidate and considering his history with the program, probably better.

If the only criteria is recruiting and running practice, then I agree. But nobody knows how Mike will be as a bench coach, nobody knows how Mike will be as the "bad cop" when there is a problem kid on the roster, and nobody knows how Mike will deal with his first losing streak.

JB is as cool as a cucumber...well except that one time at Duke.

I still have not seen any definitive evidence that this deal was ever made.

I have been looking, but I cannot find the quotes from years ago that suggested Hopkins is definitely the next coach. I do remember something along those lines, but I cannot find them.[/QUOTE
There is a deal. Hopkins would be paid like a head coach if there was ever a buy out.

good.

thats fine, because i wouldnt want to work for an institution who would be so stupid and pigheaded to not let me do my job.

why have an AD? just let the chancellor/board do it.

or get a team of monkeys.

which it seems...is already in place.
silly, silly. Making you the A.D. means that every coaching job is now open? Hopkins was promised and has a deal that names him the next coach. Should a new coach be allowed to just come in and replace Desko? Same principle.

silly, silly. Making you the A.D. means that every coaching job is now open? Hopkins was promised and has a deal that names him the next coach. Should a new coach be allowed to just come in and replace Desko? Same principle.
silly silly is right dash...

EVERY coach, should serve (coach) at the pleasure of the AD.

EVERY coach should be evaluated at the end of the season by the AD, who then decides if they should be granted the right to coach again next year.

what, people dont get fired in your world??

kumbaya this...

I want the best AD possible. Why would the best possible AD accept a job where he/she will not get to choose the next Men's Basketball coach?

Everyone has a boss. And it's not like the AD candidate is being told, "listen, my slow witted cousin really needs a job and so you will pick him as the successor to our Hall of Fame Legend." I mean come on guys.

To not give Hop the reins of the program would be wrong on so many levels. CTO's enumeration of the reasons that Hop should be the guy make it abundantly clear that there are myriad reasons for Hop becoming the next HC of Syracuse Basketball.

There are also no substantive reasons why Hop should NOT be the heir to the coaching position. Simply put, that's because there aren't any. At least none which are significant. Anyone who makes a case that we need a fresh face for the program... well I won't even elaborate on that since it's without any merit whatsoever.

In my opinion you couldn't ask for more than Mike Hopkins has provided to the Syracuse University Basketball program. He is one of those guys that would quickly become emblematic of the program not unlike Jimmy B. I would have to be provided with a really convincing argument for picking anyone other than Mike Hopkins for JB's successor.

i would look them right in the eye and say...No.

and follow it up with...but he has certainly earned the right and the respect to be a final candidate. That said, the position of Head Basketball Coach at Syracuse is quite possibly the most prestigeous job here. therefore i feel the job of AD deserves the right and the respect to interview and vet all possible candidates, to make sure that the next guy, is the right guy...for years to come. To be force fed a decision that previous regimes have made, puts my hands tied and basically invalidates this process. Mike Hopkins may very well be the guy, or he may not be. I cannot say either till the actual time comes to make that decision. To be asked to make it now, is quite absurd.

It's funny, as a hiring manager I would look at this answer two ways:

1. This candidate is serious about making positive contributions and understands the relative importance of certain athletics positions at the university

and

2. This guy has a serious ego problem.

Hopkins basically took himself out of the USC job to remain loyal to SU. He deserves the job to replace JB which not many people will want any. Belichick didn't want to replace Parcells etc. It is always good to be the guy that replaces the guy after the legend.

Hop will get his chance.