Some brief thoughts | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Some brief thoughts

belief doesn't change reality...

did you know Jim Delaney, (who is a fraternity brother), is a UNC grad...

he played SG for UNC teams that went to the final four many times in the late 60s...

he understands the value of that dook-UNC matchup which ESPN was so happy to get their hands on...

there was no formal offer, I'll grant you that...

but that may have been because thhey already knew the answer after putting out feelers...

do you know what school leads all others in the NCAA for sale of tertiary TV rights (more than 11 million in 2009-2010) before they get a single penny from the ACC contracts?

perhaps you don't know as much as you think...

Knowing people in the Athletic Dept of a B10 school, I can tell you that UNC's "feelers" were the same "feelers" that almost every non-SEC school from Texas eastward got. So if that makes you feel like a big deal, knock yourself out.

Knowing people in the Athletic Dept of a B10 school, I can tell you that UNC's "feelers" were the same "feelers" that almost every non-SEC school from Texas eastward got. So if that makes you feel like a big deal, knock yourself out.
Exactly, SU, which many fatalists said would be left out, was selected from an un-named group of 10 candidates. I'd say that provides a lil' feeling of prestige :cool:

it leaves me feeling nothing at all, as most UNC folks never had ANY interest in moving and I have zero interest in joining the B1G, unless there were no other choice, well maybe ahead of the PAC 1#...

if you have any interest in those third tier broadcasting rights you can google businessofcollegesports.com and find Kristi Dosh's article about "School-Specific Broadcasting Revenue"...

When the B10 passed on any of the Northeastern schools, I wondered if perhaps their due diligence found it to be a lot less lucrative than most seem to believe. I think they could eventually scoop up a RU or UConn but I'm a lot less certain of their interest in the NE corridor than I used to be.

If they are serious about it, they probably have to move quickly. If they don't move quickly, it may be a sign that they have thought about the NE and decided to pass.

On another matter, I have mixed feelings about RU & UConn to the ACC. On one hand, it would make travel easier for SU and give the NYC fans who are whining about the move something to ease their pain. It also would create a nice northern voting bloc to offset some of the Tobacco Road authority.

But on the other hand, a marginalized RU and UConn sure would help a lot in the football recruiting wars. We'd still be competeing with BC and Pitt (plus half the B10 and some of the ACC) for Northeastern recruits, but we wouldn't have to worry too much about RU or the Huskies.

Makes you wonder if the research of both schools didn't just say "let's look at TVs in the area" but "let's look at how there are too many programs in the NE, which dilutes the level of play, so fewer schools increase the product and increase the amount of people in that area that want to watch it on TV"

That's my hope, and that's why I want UConn and RU left out. SU football was much more compelling in the 90s and neither of those schools were a part of that (ok you could argue but without Rutgers we wouldn't see SU score 70). But you know what I mean. Personally, I don't have use for those schools on our level, but if it happens as part of the ACC 16, so be it.

I happened to be in Kenan Stadium in Chapel Hill during all this excitement. Since I own no Tar Heel gear I was representing cuse quite proudly. I can't tell you how many ACC people approached me and welcomed us to the ACC. Everyone seemed very excited and positive about the move.