Some of you guys need to calm down. | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Some of you guys need to calm down.

Yes, I understand this weekend and I understand Cuse put all of their eggs in his basket. What I'm asking is what did he do, before this weekend and while it made a difference, other than listing Cuse as a favorite and visiting campus multiple times?
this weekend isn't enough of a d___ move for you?

this weekend isn't enough of a d___ move for you?

No, not at all. That didn't affect SUs actions in any way. Happens all of the time. I'm guessing Cuse has had many, many players that gave "commitments" to other schools. And even if it is a d*** move, the jist of the complaints is that HE CAUSED Cuse not to recruit other players. I'm asking how he did that. Is there more than listing them as a favorite and making several visits?

I'm sure they cover their a****. They hired the former NCAA compliance director just last year to lead their compliance department.

If they ran around with immunity and had a closet full of "bags of cash", why do they even have a compliance department, let alone paying a former NCAA compliance director big bucks to oversee it. Sounds like wasted money honestly.

If they ran around with immunity and had a closet full of "bags of cash", why do they even have a compliance department, let alone paying a former NCAA compliance director big bucks to oversee it. Sounds like wasted money honestly.
It would be wouldn't it.

I'm not saying the have bags of cash, I'm talking about covering themselves from a LOI standpoint.

As far as benefits, let's be honest it's not bags of cash. Whatever it is, if anything Calipari and team are sheltered from it for the time being.

I know you think UK is a program that runs itself, but I'm skeptical because they were closer to UCLA (as they stand currently) than they were to Duke prior to 2008.

This thread is halarious! What I said was, "or the Louie M treatment." What do you think I was insinuating? Notice McCroskey wasn't at Syracuse too much longer after that. The hypocrisy in this thread blows my mind. These same people on here attacking the 18 year kid are the same people that have nothing to say about Tyus Battle backing out of his verbal to Michigan to join us. Finally, I wouldn't care if I accepted a job offer somewhere, if a better situation came after that I'm taking the better situation for myself and my family. Hopefully the adults would understand that. But if not oh well, the world still turns.
Did I miss what you think was the story behind the "Louie Treatment"? Seriously, what is your take on that?

I'm not saying the have bags of cash, I'm talking about covering themselves from a LOI standpoint.

As far as benefits, let's be honest it's not bags of cash. Whatever it is, if anything Calipari and team are sheltered from it for the time being.

I know you think UK is a program that runs itself, but I'm skeptical because they were closer to UCLA (as they stand currently) than they were to Duke prior to 2008.

Cheating or not Cal was a great recruiter with UMass and Memphis. Add the great recruiting and it being UK and it is possible, especially when he comes out with what they're doing at the school "pretty much being a NBA trade school and embracing the one and done when others weren't".

If one day it comes out he cheated at UK, ok, he's garbage and he and the school should be penalized. Until then, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Cheating or not Cal was a great recruiter with UMass and Memphis. Add the great recruiting and it being UK and it is possible, especially when he comes out with what they're doing at the school "pretty much being a NBA trade school and embracing the one and done when others weren't".

If one day it comes out he cheated at UK, ok, he's garbage and he and the school should be penalized. Until then, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.
Although it's been proven at UMass and Memphis that one of the reasons he was such a great recruiter is by cheating. Ya kinda have to include that in those instances.

At UK, he's still innocent until proven guilty!

If you're willing to give Cal the benefit of the doubt, I think you should just agree to disagree with pretty much everyone on the board. That way we can all just save a lot of time. That's absolute crazy talk given his track record.

Although it's been proven at UMass and Memphis that one of the reasons he was such a great recruiter is by cheating. Ya kinda have to include that in those instances.

That's simply false and self serving. But if it makes you feel better... I guess your theory is that Cal promised Camby that he could obtain money from an agent towards the end of his final year at UMass to get him to commit there.

Last edited:
If you're willing to give Cal the benefit of the doubt, I think you should just agree to disagree with pretty much everyone on the board. That way we can all just save a lot of time. That's absolute crazy talk given his track record.

I love this how people love to just generalize to obtain the desired result rather than actually looking at facts. Cal has never been accused of anything by the NCAA. There have been two incidents in his long career.

At Memphis, Rose apparently cheated on his SATs. Cal wasn't implicated, but if you want to speculate that he was involved, that's not unreasonable on your part.

At UMass Camby received money from an agent during his FINAL YEAR. To speculate that Cal would have any involvement with that is unreasonable. There was absolutely no benefit to him even if it had not been exposed.

Last edited:

Agreed. I'm not suggesting that UK has to cheat to get every recruit, or that they don't have a finely humming machine right now.

But I am 100% convinced that at some point in the not too distant future, the NCAA is going to come down on them-because when you cheat flagrantly enough for long enough, eventually you get caught. And that when that happens, UK will vacate final fours the same way that UMass / Memphis did under Calipari.

Fait accompli, IMO.

Agreed. I'm not suggesting that UK has to cheat to get every recruit, or that they don't have a finely humming machine right now.

But I am 100% convinced that at some point in the not too distant future, the NCAA is going to come down on them-because when you cheat flagrantly enough for long enough, eventually you get caught. And that when that happens, UK will vacate final fours the same way that UMass / Memphis did under Calipari.

Fait accompli, IMO.
We'll know when it's going to happen. He'll go to the NBA! Then Bam! UK will get slammed and he'll snake away!

I love this how people love to just generalize to obtain the desired result rather than actually looking at facts. Cal has never been accused of anything by the NCAA. There have been two incidents in his long career.

At Memphis, Rose apparently cheated on his SATs. Cal wasn't implicated, but if you want to speculate that he was involved, that's not unreasonable on your part.

At UMass Camby received money from an agent during his FINAL YEAR. To speculate that Cal would have any involvement with that is unreasonable. There was absolutely not benefit to him even if it had not been exposed.

OK, but could you please explain William Wesley's relationship to the University of Kentucky basketball program? What is he DOING there?

What's JBs track record?

No, not at all. That didn't affect SUs actions in any way. Happens all of the time. I'm guessing Cuse has had many, many players that gave "commitments" to other schools. And even if it is a d*** move, the jist of the complaints is that HE CAUSED Cuse not to recruit other players. I'm asking how he did that. Is there more than listing them as a favorite and making several visits?
you don't read or understand things too well, huh?

At UMass Camby received money from an agent during his FINAL YEAR. To speculate that Cal would have any involvement with that is unreasonable. There was absolutely not benefit to him even if it had not been exposed.
This is just as bad as saying Pitino didn't know about the hookers! Come on.

Valuable lesson for the young recruiters on staff to not put all your eggs in one basket and always have a plan B. Surprised that JB, with all his past experience getting burned in these situations, would have gone down this road with no offers to other high rated PGs. We'll be fine because Howard is really improving and that will buy time to the next class.

OK, but could you please explain William Wesley's relationship to the University of Kentucky basketball program? What is he DOING there?

I don't know. I don't find it all that weird unless you start with the supposition that he's some sort of evil lord of the underworld. He's around Duke and some other schools a lot too. He really hasn't been around Kentucky the last few years...to my knowledge.

This is just as bad as saying Pitino didn't know about the hookers! Come on.

Well, not really. The hookers were pretty much under his nose all of the time. In any event, I stated that if you want to speculate that Cal knew about Rose, that is reasonable. I'm certainly not one of those that claims things in absolutes. But you have to admit, the actual FACTS of his history aren't anywhere near what his reputation would suggest.

And other than saying "but it's Kentucky", you can't answer for why he didn't do it before the signing period was over. No problem with him going to Kentucky or Duke, but he held their offers for over a month, and told our coaches he was coming until after they couldn't sign anyone else. NO CLASS WHATSOEVER. That's not how it's done.
Because it was a decision that is worthy of taking as much time as he wants

I don't know. I don't find it all that weird unless you start with the supposition that he's some sort of evil lord of the underworld. He's around Duke and some other schools a lot too. He really hasn't been around Kentucky the last few years...to my knowledge.

:rolling:

How does Calipari not benefit if Camby is on the fence about leaving UMass to go to the draft and get paid but then is assured he'll still collect a check if he stays one more year in college?

I can tell you for a 100% fact that past Calipari players have been "persuaded" to stay in school while he was at Memphis.

That's because you refuse to answer one legitimate question - he held the Kentucky offer for over a month. Why did he wait until AFTER the signing period to leave us high and dry? Just answer that, and whether you think it's the right way to do things. I'm a little tired of you bending over backwards to say he has to take care of his future. If you accept a job, do you call up and quit the job if you get a better offer before you even start the new job? That's essentially what Quade did. In the job world, it's unacceptable and burns bridges. In college recruiting, it's a shitty thing to do, the way he did it. I will say again, as many have said in this thread, I have no problem with a kid thinking that another school is a better choice for him, but you don't string people along, have them turn away their other options based on your representations to them, wait until it's too late for the school to make arrangements to replace you, and THEN you drop them. That's punk.
I've said so many times that I understand both sides of this argument. I'm just saying there's enough hanging on this decision where I'm totally upset...but understanding of his decision