Some off-season thoughts | Syracusefan.com

Some off-season thoughts

billsin01

All American
While it seems a little strange to discuss basketball with everything going on, I suppose it's as good a distraction as we have. I was going to do a whole 'individual player report card' post but I got lazy and it feels too far removed from the season to worry about it. So I'll just do a sentence or two on the guys returning and Hughes and then post a few other thoughts.

Player reviews/thoughts:
  • Hughes: Phenomenal year for the kid and two things really stood out to me -- 1) The way he completely transformed his game from a guy who shot 70% of his shots from three and struggled with his handle, to a guy who was a three-level scorer with a pretty impressive handle. Not sure I can remember a player who's game changed that much in one year (Fab may be the exception but his was more a kid who was unplayable becoming a complete stud -- not sure that he really 'changed' his game). 2) His leadership -- kid has a really cool vibe about him, he constantly stayed positive and played hard in a season where it might have been easy to mail it in at some point. Really impressive and important for us to at least keep our heads above water.

• Buddy: I know the kid's a lightning rod here and realistically it would be nice to see a more well-rounded game or a situation where maybe we could play him closer to 25-30 mins instead of 35-40. BUT, 15/game with solid shooting and the addition of that turnaround 15-footer made for about as much as we could have reasonably asked of him. A legit third option in the rotation at guard (Kadary or maybe Griffin) would seem to help our ceiling as a team even if it meant Buddy didn't fare as well in the counting stats department but either way, kid had a pretty solid season.

• Marek: Again, a pretty solid season. Would we like him to be stronger and/or a better shooter? Yes, but I think the real key for him next year will be avoiding silly fouls and hopefully improving the consistency a bit. He had some really nice moments in ACC play (4 games of 17+ points, pretty close to a triple-double vs. ND, double-doubles against BC and VA Tech, really nice floor game in the win over UVA) but also had some ugly games (opener vs. UVA, 5 TOs 3-of-11 vs. Pitt, 5 fouls in 19 mins vs. UNC, fouled out in the clemson game in just 26 mins, 3 pts vs. Louisville). Kid doesn't have to score to be effective and if Braswell/Guerrier can step up that would help, but if he can just be a consistent presence and control the fouls better he could have a really nice senior year.

• JGIII: Another guy who spurs a lot of debate, but took on a huge role for a frosh -- especially one coming from a smaller, upstate public HS -- and took good care of the ball, hit some big shots and played pretty decently. Defense will remain a question, i think, but I'm of the belief (and perhaps I'm alone here) that there is potential for significant improvement. I think he can shoot better and make more plays in the lane (whether it's passing or finishing). Regardless, love the way he pushes the ball and plays with his head up.

• Guerrier: Slow start, strong finish and wound up putting together a solid season. Always thought it was a tall ask for him to simply replace what Brissett did as a freshman. That said, thought you could visibly see the improvement over the course of the season. Key will be if he can make more FTs (his per 40 FT attempts -- not a perfect measure -- were the most on the team) and add some more dimensions to his offensive game.

• Sidibe: If you were asking for the most important story coming out of the season, it's Sidibe's last 6 or 7 games. The fact that he stayed on the floor, played really well and battled was huge. If we see that more consistently next season, that would help a ton. (more on this below)

• Edwards: Pretty much did what you'd expect from a freshman big who wasn't a top 25 or 50 recruit. Needs to get stronger but I thought he did OK for what we could have expected. The key thing here is I don't see any reason he couldn't be much better and potentially give us 10-ish mins of decent post play next season. It's not a given, obviously, but think there's potential.

• Braswell: Sucks that he was injured. Hope he's healthy b/c I think he could be a really solid piece next season.

• Washington/Carey/Goodine: Not that much to say. I wasn't in the camp who thought Goodine should have played appreciably more b/c I thought he really struggled offensively even though he had the makings of a really good defender in the zone. Carey struggled then got injured. Washington is a guy I would liked to have had back but I'm not sure he was ever going to be a true rotation guy.
Other thoughts:

Interesting to see the pursuit of a couple grad transfer centers, a traditional transfer center and a center recruit

Not sure what to make of this. Obvously Tape and/or Haarms would bring something that we don't currently have but it would also likely mean a redshirt or at least a very minimal role for Edwards and JBA. Wonder if this indicates the staff is a bit concerned about the development of those two? Not trying to stir anything up because Morgan would fit nicely next year with Sidibe leaving and maybe the big 7-footer would as well, but just interesting to see so much activity there.

Transfer portal free-for-all
Kind of an extension of the point above, I wonder if the days of trying to plan out a roster for the next couple years makes any sense. We've already seen the string of departures of kids who didn't exactly have dominant years to the NBA as soon as they get a whiff from the league (loved Lydon, Malachai, and Bazely is what he is, etc. and I'm totally cool with them leaving, but they didn't exactly depart as ready-made NBA stars or completely dominant college players). Then we saw the emergence of the 5th-year senior market. Now kids leave programs, sometimes even after playing significant minutes, seemingly to just go somewhere else.

I wonder if the new normal will be build the best roster you can for the upcoming year, hold onto as many of those players as you can, but be prepared to potentially add a transfer or two or more each season to fill holes? Interesting to think about.

Griffin's game reminds me a lot of Hughes' game
Before anyone flips out -- Griffin is very unlikely to be a like-for-like replacement for Hughes. It's just interesting watching his highlights from Illinois. Good shooter, pretty athletic, good for a few of those weak side blocks from behind, similar size, handle is decent enough to try to make a play 1-on-1. Doubt he's as good offensively as hughes but if he's a better rebounder/defender he could have a similar impact at some point. Interesting prospect.

Replacing Hughes
This will be the main topic of conversation here leading up to next season (if there is a next season) and I think everyone is OK with the fact that it won't be a single player replacing that production. If Griffin is immediately eligible, or even if he isn't, I don't think it's crazy to think this team *could* be better. For one thing, you don't have a host of guys trying to figure out how to play college basketball. Consider that not only did Girard and Guerrier come in and have to play big roles as frosh, but Sidibe really got his first extended action (while healthy at least), and Goodine and Edwards wound up on the floor in some key minutes as well.

Next season, Girard, Buddy, Sidibe, Dolezaj and Guerrier should hit the ground running. If Girffin is eligible, he is an experienced CBB player as well. Edwards and Braswell would be still pretty young in terms of playing experience and Kadary/Newton and JBA might be factors to some degree, but it should help to have at least five and maybe six pretty experienced guys.

Add to that the improvement Sidibe showed in the last six games (10 pts/11 rebs, close to 30 mpg) -- and we played pretty well in those games with Sidibe dominating the carolina game in a losing effort and still grabbing 10 boards vs. Miami -- and potential improvement from Girard/Guerrier and the potential to be a bit better defensively and on the glass without Hughes (who never rebounded particularly well and was inconsistent at best defensively). I think there's a path to a better preseason and similar acc slate. Still looks bubblish to me, but it's not crazy to think they could be better.

A healthy Braswell could be an X factor
For all we know we may never see a healthy Braswell but let's hope we do. If we do, he could prove to be a nice compliment to Guerrier and help us out on the glass. We shall see.

I think the pursuit of more bigs means something is up with our current big men. Either the kids are farther away than we think or Sidibe has something up.

I think alot of the issues on D that people see are really because they dont understand the D and how JB wants them to play it. JB even says that in interviews. Sometimes a guy is a step late because of poor D.. sometimes its because he is covering for someone else playing poor D and sometimes its just good offense.

Buddy is just a step slow at times, but people also ignore all the good plays he makes on D with good positioning.. If you are in a good spot the pass doesnt even get thrown. Its like a safety making an INT on an overthrown pass because he is playing quarters when he is supposed to be in Man.. JG3 made a lot of good plays on D too. They both can and will get better. Sadibes and mareks D issues where caused sloppy positioning at times or in Mareks case too much hustle. but when they played it smart they were both solid.

I'll be the first to admit it, I didn't think Hughes could make the jump he did. Never thought he would be able to create his own shots consistently. He was great and made me eat my words.

I've said it a few times on this forum, but that jumper at the end of the half against UNC in the acc tourney was a thing of beauty.

Solid breakdown.

I envision Griffin being much more like RS Soph Eli, than the upgraded version we saw this past season.

And that’s totally OK, Eli made a fantastic Robin to Tyus’ Batman, before taking over as The Man the next season.

Maybe AG follows a similar path?
We’d take that in a heartbeat.

All the other guys who played?
Yeah - it’d be nice if they were better, but everybody improved, and there’s still much more room for that moving forward.
Reasons for optimism.

Adding a Big who is actually BIG would be big for us.
Very Interested to see what the local kid decides this weekend.

Solid breakdown.

I envision Griffin being much more like RS Soph Eli, than the upgraded version we saw this past season.

And that’s totally OK, Eli made a fantastic Robin to Tyus’ Batman, before taking over as The Man the next season.

Maybe AG follows a similar path?
We’d take that in a heartbeat.

All the other guys who played?
Yeah - it’d be nice if they were better, but everybody improved, and there’s still much more room for that moving forward.
Reasons for optimism.

Adding a Big who is actually BIG would be big for us.
Very Interested to see what the local kid decides this weekend.
Totally agree on the bolded part -- be very surprised if he looks much like Hughes did this past season. I meant more that the style of his game is pretty similar. Creating off the dribble though remains to be seen. Didn't see much of that.

I think the pursuit of more bigs means something is up with our current big men. Either the kids are farther away than we think or Sidibe has something up.

It would really suck if Sidibe weren't healthy or something but we haven't heard any indication of that so I'm hoping that's not true.

I think alot of the issues on D that people see are really because they dont understand the D and how JB wants them to play it. JB even says that in interviews. Sometimes a guy is a step late because of poor D.. sometimes its because he is covering for someone else playing poor D and sometimes its just good offense.

Buddy is just a step slow at times, but people also ignore all the good plays he makes on D with good positioning.. If you are in a good spot the pass doesnt even get thrown. Its like a safety making an INT on an overthrown pass because he is playing quarters when he is supposed to be in Man.. JG3 made a lot of good plays on D too. They both can and will get better. Sadibes and mareks D issues where caused sloppy positioning at times or in Mareks case too much hustle. but when they played it smart they were both solid.

Yeah, defense is a team thing. We were great two years ago and returned many of the same players the following year, but the combination of Frank's injuries, Chuckwu's inconsistency, Sidibe's injuries and a heavy dose of Hughes led to more mediocre defense. Then we had the two young(ish) guys up top, pretty much only Sidibe in the middle, a frosh playing big minutes, Hughes and foul trouble this past season and it got ugly. Don't know that we'll be good defensively, necessarily, but we should clear the glass better (which would help a ton) and a more experienced combo of buddy/Girard can't hurt and replacing Hughes with Guerrier/Braswell should at least make us a bit longer/more physical.

You never know but my hope is we can make some gains here even with much of the same personnel.

Nice post, lots of solid thoughts.

A couple of nits. I was in the Goodine deserves more time camp. Even if you did not think he was that good there were just times when you had to get Buddy and/or Joe off the court. If Kadary cant give us a solid 10 to 15 mpg a game, Brycen will really be missed.

I do not see Bras as any sort of an x factor. After sitting out a season he will need to get his legs back and his game going. Best case he is a year away. Big thing with Bras is the tenacity factor. If he gets some of that he will eventually be a contributor.

As for Griffin, I like Comstock's analogy. He will not be last season Elijah, but he seems to have more dimensions to his game than Elijah had as a soph. I actually see him in the middle of those two Elijahs.

Lastly, you omitted Jimmy. I thought overall he did a lot with this group overall, big negative for me was what I felt was a nepotism factor in terms of Buddy's minutes at times.

Nice post, lots of solid thoughts.

A couple of nits. I was in the Goodine deserves more time camp. Even if you did not think he was that good there were just times when you had to get Buddy and/or Joe off the court. If Kadary cant give us a solid 10 to 15 mpg a game, Brycen will really be missed.

I do not see Bras as any sort of an x factor. After sitting out a season he will need to get his legs back and his game going. Best case he is a year away. Big thing with Bras is the tenacity factor. If he gets some of that he will eventually be a contributor.

As for Griffin, I like Comstock's analogy. He will not be last season Elijah, but he seems to have more dimensions to his game than Elijah had as a soph. I actually see him in the middle of those two Elijahs.

Lastly, you omitted Jimmy. I thought overall he did a lot with this group overall, big negative for me was what I felt was a nepotism factor in terms of Buddy's minutes at times.
Think we disagree on Brycen/the nepotism piece but I can see both arguments. Elijah at the 2 for stretches (or 1 for that matter) feels like it would have made a lot of sense. I also don't have a problem with Goodine getting more minutes generally but don't think he was ready to be a true third option at guard. Either way, his depature (especially when paired with Carey/Washington) hurts if Kadary isn't ready to go as a freshman.

The other thing that didn't help Goodine was the broken nose and subsequent adjustment period to the mask. Made it harder for him to get on the floor.

I really liked Braswell as a freshman -- I think he's an x factor because he could have zero role or a pretty decent role if he's fully healthy. I could be wrong, just like what I saw from him as a freshman.

Jimmy did a nice job with this group -- no question. The recruiting hasn't been great the past few years but he continues do get quite a bit out of thin, marginally talented teams.

Totally agree on the bolded part -- be very surprised if he looks much like Hughes did this past season. I meant more that the style of his game is pretty similar. Creating off the dribble though remains to be seen. Didn't see much of that.

Not sure that is what we need. What we did need was to replace Eli’s outside shooting with outside shooting. We did that.

Hard to not get excited when his pre Cuse resume is closer to Wes Johnson that Fr Eli at ECU.

The rest of the team are good but you kind of get a feeling everyone is ready to take the next step. We could be getting the best of both worlds bringing in a very good player but not reigning ACC leading scorer ie ball dominant letting other guys roles increase.

I don’t know what’s behind our top 6. But Kadary has to be better than what we saw from Brycen and Jalen Carey last November. Woody Bras Ajok Edwards combined have nice upside. They will play a ton 21/22. Doubt we get Purdue kid but we should make it too 5. We would have gotten Tape if Marek or Sid we’re leaving and we had a guaranteed 30 mins to offer.

Kids can learn to move better on defense. Better anticipation, a little smoother movement.

I watched the 2003 Auburn game and saw how Forth played D straight up and down, no reaching in. Sabibe has to learn that. Marek needs to be a little more under control (and remember how to make 15ft+ shoot he use to make)

A glaring weakness of the 2019-20 team was lack of inside defense, and on the other end of the court a lack of inside scoring. We got killed by opposing bigs, and we were too dependent on 3 point shooting because we did not get enough scoring from our bigs. Marek and Sidibe got abused too often — out-weighed by 30 lbs each against most teams.

Foul trouble for Marek or Sidibe was a consistent issue, in part because they were not physical enough to defend without fouling. When either was in foul trouble, or both, we had no depth.

I expect these two to get a little stronger (not a lot, obviously) and improve their scoring. Guerrier adds inside (compared to Hughes) as we saw against NC State, when Hughes was out. He can be a force on the boards and he will get a lot better as a sophomore. Add the other potential contributors (Braswell, Edwards, JBA, and Newton) — and at least one, maybe two guys will emerge to provide inside depth that we just did not have. I don’t think we know or can easily project what these 4 will actually do in ‘20-21, other than we can see Edwards can be good if he can fill out his frame.

Not sure that is what we need. What we did need was to replace Eli’s outside shooting with outside shooting. We did that.

Hard to not get excited when his pre Cuse resume is closer to Wes Johnson that Fr Eli at ECU.

The rest of the team are good but you kind of get a feeling everyone is ready to take the next step. We could be getting the best of both worlds bringing in a very good player but not reigning ACC leading scorer ie ball dominant letting other guys roles increase.

I don’t know what’s behind our top 6. But Kadary has to be better than what we saw from Brycen and Jalen Carey last November. Woody Bras Ajok Edwards combined have nice upside. They will play a ton 21/22. Doubt we get Purdue kid but we should make it too 5. We would have gotten Tape if Marek or Sid we’re leaving and we had a guaranteed 30 mins to offer.

I like the optimism and i agree there is an opportunity for kids to take the step and some good potential for guys like Edwards/JBA/Bras/Newton.
But I disagree on some of the details here. Hughes was a better shooter than the numbers would suggest in that he had to create for himself all year and was the leading scorer, which is going to drag those numbers down a bit. So even though he *only* shot 34% (and only about 30% in ACC play) from three, he will be missed as a shooter.

Having said that, his leadership, ability to create off the dribble, his passing -- those will all be missed as well. So while I don't think his departure a death knell for this team, it's not just shooting that we need to replace.

Griffin definitely appears to be closer to Wes than Eli in terms of his resume but Wes was all-conference in the Big XII, I believe. Griffin is a nice player but I would think he's unlikely to walk in and be a stud immediately, a la Wes.

But the bolded part is a premise I just don't know about. I would tend to think, from highlight films, that Kadary is, at minimum, a much better offensive player than Goodine. I agree he could be a legit contributor. But I just don't know what he brings on defense and it, in general, is really hard to bank on frosh in that way. Hope you're right and I get where you're coming from, but I'm not sure he'll be better than Goodine, per se.

Gbinije and Hughes have each, at separate times, restored my faith in our staffs vision and ability to develop.

I liked what I saw from BG especially on defense and was sad to see him go. But certainly I understand. I hope the staff finds a way to get Richmond engaged and going so he can play 15-20 mins/game. Buddy and JG3 playing less MPG will improve them drastically.

Good Thoughts. My thoughts are somewhat similar, but a couple things stick out to me.

It may come off that I do not like Buddy and that is far from the truth. I really like Buddy, but I do not think he needs to be playing over 35 minutes a game. I think he should be 25-30 mpg.

Interior Defense has been an issue. Love Dolezaj, but we just lose way too much when he is the middle man in the zone. That needs to be fixed, and I believe that is why we went shopping for a big transfer. I think Edwards showed some flashes last year and I hope that he is given more time this coming year and I hope Sidibe can stay on the floor and not pick up so many fouls. I think that would help out our defense a lot if we can keep a big guy in the game.

Good Thoughts. My thoughts are somewhat similar, but a couple things stick out to me.

It may come off that I do not like Buddy and that is far from the truth. I really like Buddy, but I do not think he needs to be playing over 35 minutes a game. I think he should be 25-30 mpg.

Interior Defense has been an issue. Love Dolezaj, but we just lose way too much when he is the middle man in the zone. That needs to be fixed, and I believe that is why we went shopping for a big transfer. I think Edwards showed some flashes last year and I hope that he is given more time this coming year and I hope Sidibe can stay on the floor and not pick up so many fouls. I think that would help out our defense a lot if we can keep a big guy in the game.
As much grief as I give the centers, the top of the zone did no favors for sid this year. He gets his fair share of fouls, but 1 or 2 a game is due to easy penetration.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedSoxNat

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom