Some positives | Syracusefan.com

Some positives

PhatOrange

Living Legend
Ive railed on Diabate since game one this season and I want to make sure I give him his due. He's been pretty solid two games in a row but yesterday played real well. He made good reads and was pretty tough at the poa.

Ddavis played well to. Made a great play reading that wr screen and blowing it up.

Two weeks running I've blasted nassibs happy feet but I honestly thought yesterday he mostly stayed strong in the pocket, bought himself some time and made some throws. His two his dumbass int's aside his pocket presence was much better than it had been.

The dline two weeks now has been outstanding. Bromley is starting to make a name for himself.

Need to be more physical- need more pressure on QB to force turnovers.

Agree with most of this. The D is really fun to watch. Anderson is a huge risk staying on the field. He is always beat, give Wayne or Julian a chance. Not much downside there at all with either of those two.

I thought Ryan did a better job of staying in the pocket yesterday, but he still gets nervous and made a few bad reads and throws. I wish he was better at finding the open receiver after his 1st or 2nd is covered. Seemed like multiple times yesterday that he has guys open early on, but doesn't find them soon enough. He also made alot of great throws that should've been caught, so kudos to him on that.

All in all, the D is good and has mainly done their job this year. The offense needs to work on ball security. ST's are just atrocious except for KO D.

The punt return team has also shored up all it's issues the past 4 games. I dont think there has been a positive return in the past 4 games.

Some other positives from the game:

The Gatorade was quite cold and tasty...
The weather in Pascataway was nice...
The team bus was showing "Hot Tub Time Machine" on DVD...
We don't ever have to see Rutgers football again...

Not to derail but

Why don't we use our best playmakers on ST? We have all sort of accepted the Marrone methodology of playing rookies and backups on specials but it was very apparent against RU that playmakers on special teams can make all the difference. There was a 17 point swing just on two special teams plays alone (10 points on the blocked FG returned for a TD, 7 points on muffed punt).

Why don't we play our best defensive and offensive guys on specials?

Could someone ask that during the Thursday night coach show or at the Monday luncheon? I'm genuinely curious what he would have to say.

Some other positives from the game:

The Gatorade was quite cold and tasty...
The weather in Pascataway was nice...
The team bus was showing "Hot Tub Time Machine" on DVD...
We don't ever have to see Rutgers football again...

oh i'm sorry i forgot we couldn't talk about anything positive here.

Not to derail but

Why don't we use our best playmakers on ST? We have all sort of accepted the Marrone methodology of playing rookies and backups on specials but it was very apparent against RU that playmakers on special teams can make all the difference. There was a 17 point swing just on two special teams plays alone (10 points on the blocked FG returned for a TD, 7 points on muffed punt).

Why don't we play our best defensive and offensive guys on specials?

Could someone ask that during the Thursday night coach show or at the Monday luncheon? I'm genuinely curious what he would have to say.

Wasn't it Justin Pugh, a senior All Big East starter who failed to block his man resulting in the blocked fg? Seems to be a lack of focus, not lack of talent or playmaking ability. If true he certainly is far from a rookie or backup.

Being Ryan Nassib
scared kitty.jpg

The dline two weeks now has been outstanding. Bromley is starting to make a name for himself.

Bromley has been really fun to watch and he looks really big too. The only thing I would say is, do you think we need to get more pressure on the QB? I just don't see enough pressure to make the QB at least uncomfortable.

Nassib was awful. Besides the fumbles and INTs, which were inexcusable, his reads were a joke. He went to the wrong guy time and again. Not sure What he was seeing out there. The kid can throw the ball but he needs to make good decisions and protect the ball. He left a lot of yards on the field.

From the stands it looked like Nova had all day to throw. The tackling was pretty good, but we didnt get much of a push in the pass rush.

As far as Ryan, he locked in several times on one reciever, when there was a possible big play on the other side of the field . IMO, Sales is a above average player, and he makes plays. If Ryan is gonna lock in, do it to Marcus' side of the field, and let him go up and try to make a play......damn Mike Williams was good

Wasn't it Justin Pugh, a senior All Big East starter who failed to block his man resulting in the blocked fg? Seems to be a lack of focus, not lack of talent or playmaking ability. If true he certainly is far from a rookie or backup.

Pugh took the blame but who was to his left and right? Was he having to cover for someone else? They were keying on #11 when #37 was the one who blocked a point after attempt last year which ironically led to the loss last year as well.

Their best LBers Greene and Merrell were all over the field on special teams and Duron Harmon, starting safety returned the blocked FG for the TD. Many teams have their most electric player returning kicks like Venric from Northwestern and Lee/Woods at USC. Who do we have? Steve Rene who can't get on the field at rb or wr. In fact the majority of our special teams starters wouldn't make 2nd string on offense or defense but good special team units like Rutgers routinely puts their best players on specials to put them in the best position to make a play.

We treat special teams like a red headed step child (no dedicated coach, 3rd stringers and freshman). Call it a lack of focus, call it poor preparation, call it bad coaching or poor philosophy, it all equals the same thing, losses.

Nassib was awful. Besides the fumbles and INTs, which were inexcusable, his reads were a joke. He went to the wrong guy time and again. Not sure What he was seeing out there. The kid can throw the ball but he needs to make good decisions and protect the ball. He left a lot of yards on the field.

I've watched it twice today and I sure don't see some of what you're saying.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I've watched it twice today and I sure don't see some of what you're saying.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Look at just about every dumb off to a TE or RB. He waits a second longer there is a WR that breaks open.

Bromley has been really fun to watch and he looks really big too. The only thing I would say is, do you think we need to get more pressure on the QB? I just don't see enough pressure to make the QB at least uncomfortable.

we got plenty of pressure against Pitt though. Rutgers OLine is better than Pitt and plus Rutgers I believe kept a fullback and Jamison in to block on most passing plays. Pitt may have to but Ruttgers protects better.

(not to mention I saw at least two obvious holds (jersey's being pulled) agaisnst guys (Goggins) coming up the middle. I'm not going there but it did hurt some of the pressure.

you miss the entire point which was to give him some credit for staying strong in the pocket most of the day and making some tough throws under duress.

It's one thing to be constantly critical of the kid but when he does positive things that you've been railing on you need to give the kid some credit. I'm by no means overlooking the things I didn't like from him, but he wasn't all bad.

you miss the entire point which was to give him some credit for staying strong in the pocket most of the day and making some tough throws under duress.

It's one thing to be constantly critical of the kid but when he does positive things that you've been railing on you need to give the kid some credit. I'm by no means overlooking the things I didn't like from him, but he wasn't all bad.
2nd best Big East game qb rating he's ever had as a starter.

capefly.gif

Look at just about every dumb off to a TE or RB. He waits a second longer there is a WR that breaks open.

Yeah, cause waiting a second longer with our OL is always a good decision.

Yeah, cause waiting a second longer with our OL is always a good decision.

If he is under pressure he should get rid of it. But if there is no pressure he shouldn't act like there is.

If he is under pressure he should get rid of it. But if there is no pressure he shouldn't act like there is.

Dude, come on. Did you play QB somewhere or do you coach it? Were you watching it live? I'm not asking to be a pr!ck but I think it's really hard to tell from the TV feed who was open when and what the exact design is of most of the plays. I mean, maybe I just don't know b/c I was smart enough to quit football after ninth grade but it just seems tough to me to grade a guy's reads from the la-z-boy or the stands.

Dude, come on. Did you play QB somewhere or do you coach it? Were you watching it live? I'm not asking to be a pr!ck but I think it's really hard to tell from the TV feed who was open when and what the exact design is of most of the plays. I mean, maybe I just don't know b/c I was smart enough to quit football after ninth grade but it just seems tough to me to grade a guy's reads from the la-z-boy or the stands.

It is pretty simple for this game. When the QB is going to his dump off so quickly it is impossible for anything to develop form the WRs. Take a look at some of the WRs who are open when Nassib releases. Some of them even got pissed off that Nassib did not look their way. They reacted like What? If your teammates are nto happy, there is an issue. And yes I did see some stuff at the stadium where it was obvious who would be open pre snap and was pissed that Nassib did not see it. There was a huge issue this game that was pretty obvious.

we got plenty of pressure against Pitt though. Rutgers OLine is better than Pitt and plus Rutgers I believe kept a fullback and Jamison in to block on most passing plays. Pitt may have to but Ruttgers protects better.

(not to mention I saw at least two obvious holds (jersey's being pulled) agaisnst guys (Goggins) coming up the middle. I'm not going there but it did hurt some of the pressure.

Rutgers hasn't given up sacks all year. Nova gets rid of the ball and they go max protect.

This week was the first time SU kept a lot of help in on protection.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom