Some positives | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Some positives

It is pretty simple for this game. When the QB is going to his dump off so quickly it is impossible for anything to develop form the WRs. Take a look at some of the WRs who are open when Nassib releases. Some of them even got pissed off that Nassib did not look their way. They reacted like What? If your teammates are nto happy, there is an issue. And yes I did see some stuff at the stadium where it was obvious who would be open pre snap and was pissed that Nassib did not see it. There was a huge issue this game that was pretty obvious.

I get that but I guess my question is how much of that is the design of the offense and the intent of the play? I mean, one of my biggest gripes the last three years has been that we don't attack the intermediate level (13-18 yards or so) anywhere near enough. But doesn't that have to be design? I mean Nassib has checked down really quickly for three straight years and, as a result, despite a pretty leaky OL he's only been sacked ~70 times in ~1100 pass attempts the last 3.5 years.

And while WRs were upset at times, it's not like there aren't plays where he does wait and does hit his wide outs -- Sales and West have combined for 63 catches and averaged a really healthy ~ 14.5 yards per catch. That's pretty solid and suggests there are at least times he's looking to get bigger chunks.

I don't know -- I get that it's frustrating but I also wonder if the nature of this coaching staff is such that they encourage getting rid of the ball in a very timely on many snaps.

and therein lies the problem with QB rating, by the way.
therein lies the problem with nassib's performance in every big east game besides WVU last year

pitt was a stinker this year. i don't think there was a game last year other than WVU that was clearly better than rutgers.

and it's not like he had strong performances in any big east games in 2010.

I get that but I guess my question is how much of that is the design of the offense and the intent of the play? I mean, one of my biggest gripes the last three years has been that we don't attack the intermediate level (13-18 yards or so) anywhere near enough. But doesn't that have to be design? I mean Nassib has checked down really quickly for three straight years and, as a result, despite a pretty leaky OL he's only been sacked ~70 times in ~1100 pass attempts the last 3.5 years.

And while WRs were upset at times, it's not like there aren't plays where he does wait and does hit his wide outs -- Sales and West have combined for 63 catches and averaged a really healthy ~ 14.5 yards per catch. That's pretty solid and suggests there are at least times he's looking to get bigger chunks.

I don't know -- I get that it's frustrating but I also wonder if the nature of this coaching staff is such that they encourage getting rid of the ball in a very timely on many snaps.

Then that is on the coaches. There is an issue here. I don't mind getting rid of the ball when needed. But your 2nd option should not be a dump off. You should be able to recognize a mismatch on the back side and not ignore it staring down the front side.

Not to derail but

Why don't we use our best playmakers on ST? We have all sort of accepted the Marrone methodology of playing rookies and backups on specials but it was very apparent against RU that playmakers on special teams can make all the difference. There was a 17 point swing just on two special teams plays alone (10 points on the blocked FG returned for a TD, 7 points on muffed punt).

Why don't we play our best defensive and offensive guys on specials?

Could someone ask that during the Thursday night coach show or at the Monday luncheon? I'm genuinely curious what he would have to say.
I second this. Every successful college ST unit does this and in college, STs can mean the difference between bowl games and getting an early start to try and turn recruits away from programs that are playing in bowl games.

This was one of my pet peeves... to give too much credit to certain areas and didn't take advantage of a weakness it left. WV made them (Rutty) pay for it and yes I know they have way better playmakers but we had shots and again stayed safe.

therein lies the problem with nassib's performance in every big east game besides WVU last year

pitt was a stinker this year. i don't think there was a game last year other than WVU that was clearly better than rutgers.

and it's not like he had strong performances in any big east games in 2010.

You got me. I thought you were saying BCS for some reason. My bad.

If he is under pressure he should get rid of it. But if there is no pressure he shouldn't act like there is.

give me the plays.

give me the plays.

I counted 6 of them. Read my recap and then go watch the game. I am not going to take the time to prove it to someone with no accuman.

I counted 6 of them. Read my recap and then go watch the game. I am not going to take the time to prove it to someone with no accuman.

Can we see your credentials?

I still see this program as building a strong base and we are getting faster and bigger as our dline play is starting to show us. Marrone seems somewhat pro oriented and they may a piece of the reason it's been slow but as long as Marrone and staff continue to learn and improve and be able to accept certain ideas to improve and not be foolishly stubborn, I believe they will continue to improve year after year. The next 6 games are going to show us what kind of fight and talent we really have and to me a very good measuring stick on how I feel about this staff and the direction they are going.

Rutgers hasn't given up sacks all year. Nova gets rid of the ball and they go max protect.

This week was the first time SU kept a lot of help in on protection.
Going max protection is smart when you have WR's like RU. At least one of them will find a way to get open on any given play.

We don't have that luxury.

Going max protection is smart when you have WR's like RU. At least one of them will find a way to get open on any given play.

We don't have that luxury.

They play VT style ball. Pressure D, aggressive ST, try to get a couple of big plays on offense, and if not punt.

They crossed midfield twice on their own. The 93 yd drive, and then they got a FG when they started with the ball on their 47. Their other 11 possessions they didn't have one that went more than 19 yds.

Wasn't it Justin Pugh, a senior All Big East starter who failed to block his man resulting in the blocked fg? Seems to be a lack of focus, not lack of talent or playmaking ability. If true he certainly is far from a rookie or backup.

beckett wales was the one from what i could tell.he was flat on his back

beckett wales was the one from what i could tell.he was flat on his back

I'm pretty sure it is Pugh face down.

-3cfc671dd8b4aaa6.jpg

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

curious but who's the player on the bended knees to the immediate right of Chibane? Then somebody is on the ground and then I'm guessing Mackey. Whoever that player is on the ground blew the protection as 37 is to the right of the player who's kneeling down.

just watch the replay and you will see 85 backwards on the ground

Interesting considering 85 is the one on the right hand side of the photo with the tattooed arm attached to #37s groin ... doesn't look to be grounded there. Him hitting the ground might very well be just after it was blocked however ...

just watch the replay and you will see 85 backwards on the ground

Nah. It's on Pugh. Even he said so. And that is one tall dude. Looked it up and he is 6'4.

Nah. It's on Pugh. Even he said so. And that is one tall dude. Looked it up and he is 6'4.

Well Pugh lied :) ...

What's the matter with you acumen boy, don't you know when you are in the presence of genius?
I generally think kingotto is nuts but you guys look even worse here.

I'm pretty sure it is Pugh face down.

-3cfc671dd8b4aaa6.jpg

Right side of the line had Mackey on the end, then Wales, then Pugh. RU overloaded it because of the angle of the kick; Pugh slips and misses the block, Wales got bull-rushed and Mackey took the end on the outside.

But according to some the kick was too low w/ a 6'4 LB jumping one yard in the backfield. :rolleyes:

Right side of the line had Mackey on the end, then Wales, then Pugh. RU overloaded it because of the angle of the kick; Pugh slips and misses the block, Wales got bull-rushed and Mackey took the end on the outside.

But according to some the kick was too low w/ a 6'4 LB jumping one yard in the backfield. :rolleyes:

Ah see ... its all Macky's fault ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom