Some Reddit Idiot | Syracusefan.com

Some Reddit Idiot

walsh2012

Starter
Just tried to tell me that Hakim Warrick 1) wasn’t considered a shot blocker as a prospect and 2) is a good comparison for Obi Toppin as he enters the NBA.

I had to come to a safe space and laugh at this goon to guys who know better.

I don’t know how someone who isn’t a shot blocker makes one of the biggest blocks on Tournament history, but hey maybe I’m just ignorant.

Here are Hak's college stats:

1598154365715.png

As you can see, he averaged less than 1 bpg in college. That certainly doesn't mean that he wasn't capable of swatting a few shots, but in general it wasn't what he was known for.

View attachment 186576

As you can see, he averaged less than 1 bpg in college. That certainly doesn't mean that he wasn't capable of swatting a few shots, but in general it wasn't what he was known for.
To be fair to him he was playing out on the wing so he got a lot less opportunities to block shots than he could have as a traditional 4

I don't know about the Obi comparison but coming out of HS he wasn't recruited to block shots. He was long, really athletic and tried to dunk everything. Definitely an offensive prospect more than defensive even if his single most important play in college was the block in the title game.

View attachment 186576

i realize i may not be 100% in the right calling him a shot blocker here but he is one of our guys and i am happy to be a homer for him lol

Awful comparison.

Toppin was a good enough talent that he was able to play his old man at the Y game at a pretty high college level (A10) and he could do a bit of everything and was very smart and crafty.

Warrick doesn't see a minute of NBA game time if he tries to dribble and be a point forward. He had to stick to being the best athlete on the floor who also had a good amount of skill and BB IQ.

I don't think Toppin will do well at the NBA level but I enjoy watching him if he makes it work in the league good for him. Hes not even middle of the table athletically. Maybe he has enough game.

Awful comparison.

Toppin was a good enough talent that he was able to play his old man at the Y game at a pretty high college level (A10) and he could do a bit of everything and was very smart and crafty.

Warrick doesn't see a minute of NBA game time if he tries to dribble and be a point forward. He had to stick to being the best athlete on the floor who also had a good amount of skill and BB IQ.

I don't think Toppin will do well at the NBA level but I enjoy watching him if he makes it work in the league good for him. Hes not even middle of the table athletically. Maybe he has enough game.
He called him “Hakeem” so you know he was very educated on the subject

Awful comparison.

Maybe not Warrick level, but Toppin can jump/dunk.

Not especially quick though.

Maybe not Warrick level, but Toppin can jump/dunk.

Not especially quick though.

Yeah hes a talent and a unique player so I hope it works out for him. Hope the Warriors get him and Draemond has a side kick. My Celtics are gonna sweep everyone so we need a challenge 2021 finals.

How about comparing Hak to Jerami?

And as I say that different players as Orangemen.

But in the NBA? Similar and kinda played the same position?

Awful comparison.

Toppin is an excellent prospect whose game doesn't resemble Warrick's at all other than both being explosive. Toppin is an excellent shooter with deep range and has a far more diverse offensive game. There is a reason he will likely be in the top 5. His flaw is his lack of defense. Neither is a shot blocker and Warrick was NEVER known as a shot blocker; not even as a prospect and despite his huge block when it counted. Toppin will be in the league a long time. His comparison is a better offensive, but worse rebounding and defensive Blake Griffin.

i realize i may not be 100% in the right calling him a shot blocker here but he is one of our guys and i am happy to be a homer for him lol

I give you props for defending Hak -- one of our all time greats!

But for all of his prodigious athleticism and talents, I don't think that the guy was "wrong" for pointing out that he wasn't much of a shot blocker.

I do, sir, however agree with you that he made the most important block in the history of Naismith's basketball!

I don't find either comment particularly ludicrous and actually quite fair (but not 100%)

Hak was not some "elite athlete" once he reached the NBA. He was an elite dunker / jumper, but had very average speed, agility and strength which limited him defensively especially as a tweener defender.

Some one above also said Obi had an old man game. I think people forget that behind all the dunks, one of,the biggest part of Hak's offensive game was his craftiness and nimble moves in the mid and low post.

Last edited:
Yeah hes a talent and a unique player so I hope it works out for him. Hope the Warriors get him and Draemond has a side kick. My Celtics are gonna sweep everyone so we need a challenge 2021 finals.

How about comparing Hak to Jerami?

Hak and Jerami are not a good comparison IMO. Jerami is a very good NBA defender because he is well rounded athletically and can guard multiple positions well (helped by the new NBA era in that regards as well).